S.S.T.Y.C Challenge

[Multiple Choice] What best defines a single stage craft?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. [Multiple Choice] What best defines a single stage craft?

• The craft does not rearrange parts
    • The craft uses only one stage in the staging controls.
    • Pieces of the craft do not have seperate tasks.
    • The craft does not re-fuel or re-stock to complete it's task.

How about this one: Single stage to Groundhog Day.

DoubleDipper_zps70334c51.jpg

Single stage to orbit and rendezvous with a station in LKO, landing back at KSC, and *another* single stage to orbit and rendezvous with a station in LKO with landing back at KSC. All in one piece with no refueling at any point. With 4 passengers and 2 flight crew.

Here's my entry, which I literally just submitted to the K-Prize thread.

Cargo-Variant of the Starstreaker SSTM spaceplane. It delivered a small probe lander capable of science transmission.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Cost: 79,664 Kerbucks

Tonnage: Dunno, gotta check.

Mission Time: 17 Days 2 Hours 9 Minutes 38 Seconds

EDIT:

And for the poll, there should be a "Does not drop any parts" option, that is what defines an SST(insert character(s) here)

And for the poll, there should be a "Does not drop any parts" option, that is what defines an SST(insert character(s) here)

Yeah, I've been getting this and I agree. The only problem is that for some reason the forum is not giving me the option to edit the poll. I have contacted the moderators, and they are looking into it. I might restart the poll once they have fixed the issue.

Good job everybody with the single stage designs! I'm wondering if anybody has done a SST Eeloo. I'm currently working on a Duna return craft.

Feel free to compete with other entries, I will create categories if I start seeing competition.

I do not see anything in the rules regarding refueling. Can I go single stage to LKO refueling station, fill up the tanks and then make a run for Duna?

Ahhh, thanks for pointing that out (and asking). I would have to go with a no. If you can re-fuel, everything is game and it doesn't seem like much of a challenge to make it anywhere. Sorry.

Edited by Zipmafia

http://s52.photobucket.com/user/GoSlash27/slideshow/KSP/DoubleDipper

3 hours, 6 minutes, 25 seconds total elapsed time for Groundhog Day mission. It looks like I might have enough fuel for one more cycle. I'll try it and let you know if I make it or not.

Best,

-Slashy

*edit*

This is gonna be very close.

DD12_zpscfb860dd.jpg

Not a lot of margin for oxidizer here. If I can make the rendezvous, I have plenty of fuel and oxidizer for the rest of it. If not, I'll be lost in space.

Edited by GoSlash27

DD13_zps1f9e3d73.jpg

40 units of o2 left. I think that's enough...

DD15_zpsad975ff3.jpg

Made the deorbit with 20 units of o2 left. I have plenty of fuel, so I should be good as long as I don't hose the landing.

DD16_zpsfcd390ae.jpg

Made it!!

DD17_zps8e1f6667.jpg

So that's KSC->orbital docking -> KSC -> orbital docking -> KSC -> orbital docking -> KSC with no refueling, no parts dropped and 2 crew/ 4 passengers. Total mission elapsed time 5 hours 15 minutes 47 seconds.

/iWin

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

• 2 weeks later...

After Duna, my original idea was to try for a Dres landing, but I found it hard to get over a plateau of about 4000 delta v once in Kerbin orbit.

So I broke all of the rules of this challenge, and added drop tanks. Holy Guacamole! that approach radically improved the performance of my space plane, and I was able to go to Jool in career mode and mop up some late-game science by visiting several moons and landing on Pol.

Sorry that I couldn't live up to the SINGLE stage rule, but I learned a lot from trying, and I am quite happy with these results anyway!

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by kriseric

How's this for an odd one:

Single stage to LifterCeption: an SSTO so powerful that it could lift a copy of *itself* into LKO as payload!

LifterCeption1_zps6ea651be.jpg

I seem to be taking my challenge cues from movie titles...

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

http://s52.photobucket.com/user/GoSlash27/slideshow/KSP/Lifter-Ception/Flight

Bwaaahahah!!

Info

Time: 40:57

Cost: √54,849

Weight: 21.75 tonnes

Kerbals: 0

Returned to KSC: No

Notes: Delivered a payload to LKO that weighed more than the vehicle itself (22.7t) and returned safely.

LifterCeption!!

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

Nice one!

I have thought about opening a seperate scoreboard for two stage crafts, or ones that re-fuel. But I think those craft would be able to go anywhere, which would kinda break the challenge.

Check out what I can do with a single re-fuel though!

I bet if you dropped parts of the plane as you go up, you might be able to make that Eve ascent!.

Here is a monster I've been playing around with in the SPH:

http://imgur.com/a/lNN8B#0

Getting it to Eve is my current problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.