Is this an SSTO or TSTO?

Vectura

You literally just described SSTOL, not SSTO... Jus sayin. Also, its best to not put words into peoples mouths or assume that you know what 'anyone else other than you' refers to when they say SSTO. Literal definition is Single Stage To Orbit, no more no less.

I've also described practically every proposed IRL SSTO vehicle. None has ever been described as "SSTOL" in any literature, SSTOL is not a commonly used term, and trying to add it only adds confusion that leads to threads like these.

As others have hinted already, the very, very literal interpretation is what I intend
yes, and it's literal to the point of being wrong and confusing.
And, yes, I'm still a) wrong in my definition, B) thinking it'll be impossible to get people (not you; general population) to even think about what they're saying, let alone say what they're thinking. Doesn't stop me trying.

So yes, your definition is wrong, and I guess it's impossible to get you (specifically you) to see the confusion you're causing by what you're doing, let alone what you're thinking.

Seriously, how many SSTO threads to do you need to hijack?

As others have hinted already, the very, very literal interpretation is what I intend: If it sheds parts on the way up it isn't a SSTO, if it does much more than coming back after it's gone up it isn't a SSTO.

I have no interest in helping the term to be misused, which is why I point you towards correct definitions. I may fail, but that doesn't mean "SSTO to Laythe" or "Sub-orbital SSTO" is correct.

Which part of "Single Stage To Orbit" is hard for you? If it's that you want a name for your spaceplanes, how about "Spaceplanes"?

And, yes, I'm still a) wrong in my definition, B) thinking it'll be impossible to get people (not you; general population) to even think about what they're saying, let alone say what they're thinking. Doesn't stop me trying.

SSTO is a craft who can reach orbit without dropping parts, this don't make sense if you don't return it to spaceport in most settings.

Small satellites and test probes to test light stuff in orbit does not have to return. Neither does fuel depots.

In KSP discussions an SSTO is a craft who can reach orbit without dropping parts, then it can deploy payload, it can also refuel before landing.

It might do multiple missions, like transferring an part to an ship in orbit, deploy an rescue pod, transfeer food to another ship, then refuel at fuel station before picking up an kerbal next week and land, yes this was an spaceplane mission i did once.

The SSTO probes and fuel depots are pretty much one off designs, for the most part we talk about planes or rocket who returns.

I say you can drop fairing before entering orbit and still be an SSTO,

SSTO tend to be spaceplanes as large rocket SSTO is more extensive than one using SRB with recoverable core.

In 0.235 I used SSTO rockets a lot.

... yes, and it's literal to the point of being wrong and confusing...

So yes, your definition is wrong, and I guess it's impossible to get you (specifically you) to see the confusion you're causing by what you're doing, let alone what you're thinking.

I shall explain in PM why 'SSTO' doesn't mean 'Spaceplane' simply because, as Claw has hinted elsewhere, hijacking threads is not a great move.

I shall explain in PM why 'SSTO' doesn't mean 'Spaceplane' simply because, as Claw has hinted elsewhere, hijacking threads is not a great move.

I do agree 100% with this; "Spaceplane"<>"SSTO". While you can often use both terms to describe the same vehicle, they are not interchangeable. A spaceplane is an airplane that leaves the atmosphere, while an SSTO is a vehicle that achieves orbit intact.

Best,

-Slashy

All I make are SSTO Spaceplanes, and I am good at it. What the OP made is a SSTO, it IS a Single Stage To Orbit.

The check list for SSTO is simple.

Does it get to space and achieve orbit without staging or dropping parts?

-CHECK!

That is it.

Note I did not say Single Stage to Space, which is a SSTS, or a Single Stage To Orbit and Return. SSTOR/SSTOL.

A lot of people make the common mistake to assume that SSTO means Space Planes that take off, go to space, return and land without dropping parts. SSTOs can be anything that achieves orbit without dropping parts, it does not have to come back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-stage-to-orbit

A single-stage-to-orbit (or SSTO) vehicle reaches orbit from the surface of a body without jettisoning hardware, expending only propellants and fluids. The term usually, but not exclusively, refers to reusable vehicles.

I am going to agree with Wikipedia's definition and argue that an SSTO is a vehicle of whatever description that reaches orbit (implied and presumed to be a stable orbit) without dropping any parts, with subsequent reusability not necessarily being a factor.

EDIT: With further reading of that Wiki article, I realized and would like to point out that the LEM from the Apollo program is a fine example of an SSTO (launched from the surface of the Moon, its landing stage serves as a launch pad) that is subsequently not reusable (disposed of in the Earth's atmosphere).

Edited by King Arthur

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.