[WIP] Mining and Processing Extension [KIMP] resumed

riocrokite

Im brainstorming the best way to go about it. I'm thinking the "easy" way would be to fake depth with the drill basically, since the planets dont have any actual depth. A plugin that would allow you to set the drill depth in the drill UI, then based on what you select it it increases output, and increases power / Other requirements (lubricant, water, or whatever else the drill may need)

OH and the new Model looks AMAZING!

cheeers,

I feel that fake depth would be abused by people so they would just compensate reduced output by time-warp. What I plan to do is to try to modify 0.90 Regolith to account for depth, resource size and maybe rock hardness.

The other thing why this would be necessary is that you would need multiple drill bits. So for example with one drill bit weight of 200kg and 2.8m width you would need to bring 7.14t per 100m depth you need to drill. So surveying not only for max concentration but also for depth would be necessary so deposits near surface would be most valuable in terms of least mass neeeded to extract them.

For example:

a) 100m deposit = you need 20t drill + 7.14t drill bits + 0.5t drill container mass = 27.64t

B) 1000m deep deposit = you need 20t drill + 71.4t drill bits + 5t drill container mass = 96.4t

Additionally nice-to-have thing is that using surface / orbital scanners you can know only maximum concentration and deposit size. To be able to know what is the depth of resource vein you would need to bring smaller exploration drill (still quite sizeable taking into account it hold drill bits for 1000m) to deep-drill for core samples and then you would know the exact depth.

cheeers,

I feel that fake depth would be abused by people so they would just compensate reduced output by time-warp. What I plan to do is to try to modify 0.90 Regolith to account for depth, resource size and maybe rock hardness.

The other thing why this would be necessary is that you would need multiple drill bits. So for example with one drill bit weight of 200kg and 2.8m width you would need to bring 7.14t per 100m depth you need to drill. So surveying not only for max concentration but also for depth would be necessary so deposits near surface would be most valuable in terms of least mass neeeded to extract them.

For example:

a) 100m deposit = you need 20t drill + 7.14t drill bits + 0.5t drill container mass = 27.64t

B) 1000m deep deposit = you need 20t drill + 71.4t drill bits + 5t drill container mass = 96.4t

Additionally nice-to-have thing is that using surface / orbital scanners you can know only maximum concentration and deposit size. To be able to know what is the depth of resource vein you would need to bring smaller exploration drill (still quite sizeable taking into account it hold drill bits for 1000m) to deep-drill for core samples and then you would know the exact depth.

Nice! I would love to see this take form :) ((thats why i said the fake way would be the easy way! LOL) Your way is definitely preferable!

And that animation is amazing.

Nice! I would love to see this take form :) ((thats why i said the fake way would be the easy way! LOL) Your way is definitely preferable!

And that animation is amazing.

cheers,

yah if we live to this, those standard heavy drills would be available relatively early in the tech tree while in the end player would get access to more 'exotic' options for drilling (however hi-tech drills won't render conventional ones obsolete; so ideally different drill for different scenario)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

i'm back, not much time, but will try to work a little bit on different things;

new stuff that I wanted to have for a long time; retractable side platform so you can move your kerbals between different cabins on a rover without using ladders. Probably can double as tracks shield on tanks :P

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Sadly I think I'll have to resign from complicated drill animations since they may induce too many draw calls thus slowing down everything. Tested 5 units of each drill and I was seeing a bit of 'yellow' time. Also I think those will require 1 or 2 kerbals to operate = cabin to add.

any chance for updates on MFS and SDS as well? mainly DDS conversions and maybe dependency updates whatnot

Unfortunately I don't plan update soon, DDS are on the list however these mods are reusing 1-3 texture files so impact is not that big, also dependencies aren't bundled so if something changes I'll update link to them in the first post.

Doing some tests with stork lander and MFS compatibility. Basically you will be able to deliver wheeled frame and modules (containers, machines) separately in a lander frame. In other words you don't need separate wheeled rovers for all modules since you can reuse a flat crane truck (below) to load (dock) modules according to needs. the big point here is that this flat truck crane fits into one side of stork lander. on the other side you can mount up to 4 containers or 2 big drills. since each module/container will have build-in docking port you could reuse one wheeled frame to mount/dismount needed containers and machinery if needed. Crane is used here to unload modules from stork lander as well:

azreFV5.png

yqZuBIr.png

sxlpw16.pngqGG3qcE.pngpVsbrf8.png

Above - unloading/mounting kerbore-100 drill from the lander. Next in queue - unloading/mounting 2 containers full of drill bits.

[WIP], modules /frame don't have docking ports implemented yet.

more tests of moving stuff between lander and crane truck. frame and containers will have docking ports so there's no need for KIS/KAS (for those who like to play hard mode -> crane operations:)). Also this will be handy with KIS for heavier drills (since you might not have enough kerbals around to use KIS mounting because of heavier weight of modules). Crane arms serve as well to lock containers / stuff in proper orientation and rotation.

76ipKAA.png

I imagine that KAS harpoon shot into the ground might be valuable for grabbing heavier stuff (to avoid tripping over the crane).

edit: below: moving 15t drill

gnvS8Js.png

Edited by riocrokite

Docking ports may be tricky with IR's general wonkiness when part trees are rebuilt following docking or similar.

yah, first tests are quite promising; you can drop part on the flat truck and then move a bit forward/backward or move with crane arm (without magnet) to dock. Then you could avoid IR bugginess. Or use KAs winches and MFS ramps to pull object on the frame.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.