[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

Thanks Mighty Salad and Nathan for the tipp. Actually I had Better Buoyancy installed (it was referenced by RO as reccomended or suggested or something), and had the bouncing issues then. But your tipps were anyway very helpful, I had a look and found out that there is an updated version of the dll in the github. I downloaded that and everything was fine.

v0.34 OV-103 Discovery

170px-STS-114_launch.jpg

(cookie if you get the reference)

REQUIRES Realism Overhaul 10.2 and RealSolarSystem v10.2. In addition, the list of required mods has changed--make sure you have them all!

This release brought to you by the usual suspects, plus Kibbick!

See the gameplay notes below!

RP-0 has the following new features:

• Contract Configurator contracts (thanks Shurikeen for getting us started! And nightingale for much help!) Most stock contracts are disabled in lieu of our custom contracts.
  • CustomBarnKit configs, giving correct costing and unlocks for various building levels.
  • Enhanced support by magico13 in KCT! (Coming in the next KCT.) For now, the existing times have been tuned.
  • Science changes! (Goo is now a biological sample, and ScienceJr/MaterialsLab is now a film return camera). Note that you need Ship Manifest to get the film from the camera into a recoverable probe core (some probe cores have data storage). You can analyze telemetry from any command module (it's what probe report was). Gravioli is now an orbital perturbation detector, and there's a clone of the seismometer that's a micrometeorite detector. Note that some probes have some experiments "built in". Finally, result text is being reworked. So right now you'll mostly get generic text.
  • Redone tech tree for KSP 1.0. It features several new nodes, redone part placement, and redone node costs. Note that the tech tree is incomplete after the third tier (Gemini era) so far, more to come.
  • A part's entry cost can change based on what other parts are unlocked. For example, once you unlock one LR89, you get the others free (if you have FASA installed and use both the stock/VSR LR89 and the FASA one). Unlocking the LR79 will make unlocking the LR89 cheaper, and vice versa. A big example for this is heat shields: there's a fixed 16,000 fund cost added to the first LEO-shielded item you purchase, but the others will not include that extra cost.
  • Improved spaceplane support by adding required-mods-only XLR11 and XLR99 engines, and X-15-like fuselage parts. Early aircraft have better support too, now that an early jet is added to the start node.
  • Added dummy parts to announce on which nodes proc fairings/parts allow larger diameters.

Gameplay Notes

• The "Funds Penalties" setting also controls building cost. If you're playing on a difficulty higher than Normal, select 'Custom' and change that slider back to 100%. Unless you want very-expensive buildings...
  • KCT plays very differently from how it does in normal KSP. In particular, it costs a fixed amount of funds to buy more upgrade points; upgrade points represent your space program workforce. You will definitely want to start investing in science early in order to be able to research later nodes in a reasonable period of time; don't be afraid to have bought 30+ points by the time you're launching your first crewed orbital missions.
  • Contracts often have long deadlines and large advances. This is so you can accept the contract, then buy the building upgrade(s) and unlock the part(s) needed to fulfill the contract.
  • Human Spaceflight milestone contracts expect you to fly uncrewed test missions first, and so their advances are quite high.
  • ElectricCharge now flows by stage (like MonoPropellant in stock KSP). This means your probe's battery won't deplete during launch when the EC drain from avionics is high.
  • The altitude threshold for the moon is quite low. Don't expect to get spacelow science except on impact missions, or from very low orbits.
  • You often lose very little by unlocking a part early, since you may get a bonus to the entrycost of its later compatriot. For example, the effective unlock cost of the Castor I solid motor is only about 1000 funds since you get most all of the entrycost back in rebates when unlocking Castor II.
  • You can make it to orbit in the start node. It's up to you to figure out how though...

Photo via Wikipedia, NASA public domain. Edited by NathanKell

I installed the new RSS, RO, RP-0 releases and didn't have any contacts available (apart from the altitude and velocity records). I checked contract configurator and got this:

utsdWBd.png

This got me thinking and I changed the value of targetBody from Earth to Kerbin in the First Flight contract file and it worked. I then manually changed all values mentioning Earth (the only other one was OrbitEarth) to Kerbin and now all contracts are working correctly. Is this a mistake in RP-0 or am I missing some mod?

EDIT: Nevermind, the issue was caused by RVE which has not yet been updated for RSS 10.2.

Edited by kuba1410

For those of you waiting for the update to appear on CKAN, I may have found a way to do it now. It appears that if you copy the text from this link: https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-meta/blob/master/RP-0/RP-0-0.0.34.ckan into a text editor like notepad and change the KSP version to 1.0.4. Save the file and end the file name with .ckan. Then in CKAN hit file and install from .ckan, select your file and it should begin installing the mods and give you the recommended mod list. The only downside is that it seems to install RO version 10.2. I haven't tested the install yet, so do this at your own risk and not on your current install. Also don't forgot to install RSS since it isn't set as a required mod for RO in CKan

Edited by Redjoker

CKAN says this isn't compatible, lists no update options and no checkbox to install it, and if I double click on it, it crashes out with this:

See the end of this message for details on invoking just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.
at CKAN.Main.ModList_CellMouseDoubleClick(Object sender, DataGridViewCellMouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnMouseDoubleClick(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34209 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
ckan
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Grimm/Desktop/ckan.exe
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34238 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34251 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34234 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Transactions
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Transactions/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll
System.EnterpriseServices
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.EnterpriseServices/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.EnterpriseServices.dll
System.Numerics
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
System.Runtime.Serialization
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll
System.Xml.Linq
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
System.Data
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Microsoft.CSharp
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34209
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.CSharp/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.CSharp.dll
System.Dynamic
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34209
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Dynamic/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Dynamic.dll
Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/mscorlib/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Edit: Further, after installing it, all of it's depencies, manually; it's busted...when I try to build a ship in career mode for the first time the only available "cockpit" is "Sounding Rocket Avionics Package", and the build times even for an empty ship are 46+ days!

How can I build a ship without a cockpit? This is supposed to require VenStock crap, where's the Mk1? Mk2? I'm really frustrated with this.

Edited by Grimm Spector

Heads up for whenever RP-0 is definitely working, I've released KCT 1.2.0 which incorporates the changes needed for RP-0 to function as intended (it wouldn't break before due to this, it was just missing some features).

Grimm Spector: I think you may be operating under a misconception here. This is RP-0, not Kerbal Stock Career With Big Planets.

That means that, since you start with 1945 technology, your options are:

* A light command part that cannot control things, only stage (the sounding rocket core)

* A heavy, power-hungry guidance unit for V-2 sized craft.

* The Bonanza cockpit, so you can build light planes.

It's 1945. You're not sending a Mercury capsule to orbit yet.

If you are lacking any of these, you have an installation error. Note that RP-0 requires Ven's Stock Revamp, and also SXT.

As to the length of time: as always with KCT you stat with upgrade points, as the starting dialog mentions. Spend them. :)

(And yes, there is a minimum cost in person-hours to integrate any vessel--the VAB itself requires work done. So at the minimum build speed that's 46 days...but you have enough points to cut that to 1/8th the time. That said, 46 days is just not a very long time. See above: this is RP-0, and even sounding rockets take time to manufacture, integrate, and launch.)

Grimm Spector: I think you may be operating under a misconception here. This is RP-0, not Kerbal Stock Career With Big Planets.

* A light command part that cannot control things, only stage (the sounding rocket core)

If you are lacking any of these, you have an installation error. Note that RP-0 requires Ven's Stock Revamp, and also SXT.

As to the length of time: as always with KCT you stat with upgrade points, as the starting dialog mentions. Spend them. :)

(And yes, there is a minimum cost in person-hours to integrate any vessel--the VAB itself requires work done. So at the minimum build speed that's 46 days...but you have enough points to cut that to 1/8th the time. That said, 46 days is just not a very long time. See above: this is RP-0, and even sounding rockets take time to manufacture, integrate, and launch.)

Ok, thanks. However when I try to build the rocket described in your getting started page, it explodes as soon as I load it onto the launch pad, for no reason that I can find, the screen is just barely loaded and boom the rocket blows up, stays attached to the clamp and all the parts are classified as debris. Doesn't seem to matter what I do or how I position the clamp, or anything else.

Any ideas what's going wrong??

So I don't need to install the SoundingRockets mod or anything else beyond the requirements listed to get the parts for sounding rockets? That's cool. I was wondering about that when I flicked through your image gallery :)

- - - Updated - - -

As to CKAN, I have manually fixed the metadata and I've put a request in for them to figure out how to unbreak our netkan.

Thanks a bunch! While I really can't wait to try out this newfangled career, I don't appreciate installing everything manually, so knowing that CKAN should be fixed soonish is a good thing!

Seem to be getting some glitches with contracts(i think it started after a contractconfigurator contract) my sounding rocket contracts are only registering as completed properly when i switch back to the KSC, they wont register inflight(or possibly do once i switch back to the vessel)

This might have already been mentioned but I'm in the process of setting up my new RO/RP-0 game so I'm downloading all the required and recommended (and a few suggested) mods for each. I notice that RP-0 requires "Custom Barn Kit" but when you click on the link it takes you to the forum page for Custom Biomes. Which is the requirement? Or are both needed?

Just a heads up! The RP-0 config for KCT is messed up. Until it gets fixed, go into the /GameData/RP-0/KCT_Presets folder and replace the contents of RP0_KCTPresets.cfg with the following values: (I also removed the comments, just to be sure they don't get messed up, and added *abs([RE]-) to the Reconditioning formula so that the time is actually split like it should be)

KCT_Preset
{
name = KCT Settings for RP-0
shortName = RP0
description = The recommended config for using KCT with RP-0
author = RP-0 Devs
allowDeletion = False
career = True
science = True
sandbox = True
KCT_Preset_General
{
Enabled = True
BuildTimes = True
ReconditioningTimes = True
TechUnlockTimes = True
KSCUpgradeTimes = True
Simulations = True
SimulationCosts = True
RequireVisitsForSimulations = True
TechUpgrades = True
StartingPoints = 15,15,45
}
KCT_Preset_Time
{
OverallMultiplier = 25
BuildEffect = 1
InventoryEffect = 100
ReconditioningEffect = 576
MaxReconditioning = 13500000
RolloutReconSplit = 0.5
}
KCT_Preset_Formula
{
UpgradeFundsFormula = 10000
NodeFormula = (5+([N]*1.5)) / 86400 / 365 // 5 science/year, + 1.5 sci per upgrade
EffectivePartFormula = min([C]/([I] + ([B]*(max([U]*0.125,1)+1))), [C])
ProceduralPartFormula = (([C]-[A]) + ([A]*10/max([I],1))) / max([B]*(max([U]*0.125,1)+1),1)
BPFormula = (20000 + (([E]^(3/4))*300))*[O]
KSCUpgradeFormula = ([C]^(3/4))*200*[O]
ReconditioningFormula = min(7200+((([M]*[O]*[E])^(1/2))*60), [X])*abs([RE]-[S])
BuildRateFormula = (1+([L]*0.25))*(([I]+1)*0.05*[N] + max(0.1-[I], 0))*sign(2*[L]-[I]+1)
SimCostFormula = max([C]/50000 * ([PM]/[KM]) * ([S]/10 + 1) * ([A]/10 + 1) * ([L]^0.5) * 100, 1000)
KerbinSimCostFormula = max([C]/50000 * ([L]^0.5) * 10, 100)
InventorySaleFormula = 0
ResearchFormula = -1
UpgradeResetFormula = -1
UpgradeScienceFormula = -1
}
}

After much experimentation, following the getting started guide, and simulating at various steps to see where my exploding problem happens, it seems that it is when I've added the fairing/cone at the top. Is it somehow too heavy? Without it, the rocket is fine, but once it's on there, no matter what I do, as soon as I enter the launch pad the rocket explodes...

Some people have it working, so what am I doing wrong? Please help me out, I'd really like to enjoy this set of mods!

Edit: This seems to happen during or right before KJR stabilizes physics, and happens with any fairings, fuselage or otherwise, whether the rocket is on the pad, on a clamp, straight, or leaning, or anything else you can really think of.

Edit 2: After some searching and watching, the rocket which isn't ignited, overheats and explodes instantly on the launch pad whenever fairings are installed, but not without them...I've tried dropping thermal conductivity in physics from 5.0 to 2.5 but that seems to only slightly delay the issue...this is game breaking, how can I fix it??

Edited by Grimm Spector

There's an issue with tiny proc fairing bases and the Squad heat system. Until the stock bug is fixed, or e-dog clamps thermal mass to some floor (by increasing thermal mass modifier when total part mass is below a threshold), fairing bases won't be safe to use when < 0.5m in diameter.

I suggest therefore that you place your sounding rocket core, then place a realchute stackmount chute, then place some experiments atop that. Action group them. Finally place a procedural nosecone on the stacknode, size it appropriately (i.e. so the experiments are hidden inside. Let that serve as your fairing instead. :)

Hotfix released with KCT fix, CKAN versioning fix, and some new experiment result text.

In the next few days I'll write a plugin to fix exploding fairing bases, if edog doesn't get to it. For now, see above.

It doesn't appear to be in the CKAN Metadata yet, meaning it probably hasn't been scraped by their bots. Might just take a bit of time before that happens.

Well, we're still waiting for RSS and RO to show up (which are probably dependencies for RP-0). And those are in the metadata with their current versions... CKAN just refuses to upgrade them for me...

EDIT: Well, version metadata still seems to be screwed for both RSS and RO. Tried to force CKAN to install the 10.2 versions, and it downloaded just fine, just to bail out with this:

sputnick@kaon ro-ksp % mono ckan.exe install --no-recommends RealismOverhaul=10.2.0

348 [1] WARN CKAN.KSPManager (null) - New instance at /home/sputnick/KSP/KSP_linux is not a vaild install

About to install...

* RealismOverhaul 10.2.0 (cached)

Continue? [Y/n]

Installing mod "RealismOverhaul 10.2.0" RealismOverhaul v10.1.0 already installed, skipped

Let's just hope it gets fixed soon.

Edited by Sput42

This is likely my own issue or maybe everything is doing exactly what it should but I'm running into a little difficulty launching my first sounding rockets. I've got a WAC Corporal fitted with the Tiny Tim Booster as a first stage, then the Aerobee Sustainer (separated by an Interstage Fairing Adapter and two conic fairings) fitted to a pressurized (Tank Type: Fuselage) procedural fuel tank. The issue is, when I launch, the first stage works perfectly but when I try to separate and fire the Aerobee, most of the time I get a notice about vapor in the fuel line. The only time I manage to light the Aerobee is if I have split second timing to stage as soon as the Tiny Tim burns out.

I've been watching the info on the Aerobee. At launch and while the Tiny Tim is burning it says "Propellant: Very Stable". Fractions of a second after the Tiny Tim burns out, it quickly cycles down to "Propellant: Unstable". I thought the point of a pressurized tank was so that the propellant remained usable even if the rocket was technically slowing down. Am I doing something wrong or is this working as intended?

EDIT: Another question. How are the contracts being determined? I'm still launching sounding rockets and while I have bought a number of tech nodes, I haven't completed any of the research yet. So while I'm waiting, I've been building sounding rockets all based on the Tiny Tim and Aerobee. Main difference in my various flights has just been the amount of fuel I've included in the tank. I've managed to reach up to the 1200m/s uncrewed speed record and 120km uncrewed altitude record. Now I'm looking at my available contracts and I have a contract to put up my first satellite. Considering I'm still limited to the "Start" tech node and only really have the Aerobee and Tiny Tim, isn't it kind of soon to be getting a satellite contract?

Edited by chrisl

Pressure does not equal ullage. Google "ullage" in relation to rocketry. You need gravity (or something standing in for it, like an acceleration forward from a small solid ullage motor or a steady couple of seconds of RCS burn) to "settle" the fuel at the bottom of the tank so it isn't mixed with the gas inside that keeps the pressure up as the fuel flows out. It's pretty easy and super fun (for me anyway) once you get used to it. Hopefully I typed this fast enough to keep NK from having to answer it.