[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

So you guys can confirm that mapsat is functional with KSP 0.21.1?

I'll probably toss a scanner up tonight then to find a nice flat spot for making a munbase.

Also where is the current download link at.

Looks like the links on the first post go to the old version, one of which is no longer even a valid link.

Yes, the dev build works fine. You may need to delete the hilo.dat file and let it build itself a new one, however, for accurate terrain height information.

And the download link is a little hard to find, as it's hidden away in his blog: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entry.php/414-0-20-Dev-build-of-Mapsat-4-available-and-blog-update

Edited by RoboRay

Yes, the dev build works fine. You may need to delete the hilo.dat file and let it build itself a new one, however, for accurate terrain height information.

And the download link is a little hard to find, as it's hidden away in his blog: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entry.php/414-0-20-Dev-build-of-Mapsat-4-available-and-blog-update

I've been wondering this as well, what other people's experience is right now. I did the thing to update hilo.dat using the Dev build, then switched to the "unofficial" update (older) version. The thing is, with just Mapsat and Mechjeb installed, the Dev build ran more smoothly than the older version that a lot of people are saying to use because the Dev build will use more memory.

I know I want (need) Mechjeb. I got this game wanting to build and launch rockets not actually fly them. I'd also like to have Kethane, Crewmanifest (since you still can't transfer crew between vessels in flight with vanilla KSP) and KAS. I'd like to try Hooligan's Airships, Chatterer, Romfarer's mods, and Firespitter's.

I also think that Telemachus and KLF would add some nice fun and interactivity to the game (especially KLF, making it less lonely.)

With my system, I'm more concerned about plugins using up memory, I have a feeling that simple parts are less of an issue.

Considering I have 4GB max, no discrete video (that's right! And it still runs decently), memory usage is an issue. In fact, I ran into that problem this week, and took me awhile for me to figure out that it was an "Out of memory" problem and not specific mods hanging it up.

I'd like to use Mapsat, because it adds something interesting to the game. I'm just not sure what the best choice is.

After installing a few more mods I'm now running into out of memory crashes with v4. I've tried to visit the second space center a few times now, and if I do it in a craft with MapSat installed the game freezes, I check the process and it's at 4.00 GB memory. So I'd really like to find a way to get v3 to work. Ok, I'd really really like it if the dev version had a max resolution/memory fix, but I understand this whole real life thing and how it might slow down development.

After installing a few more mods I'm now running into out of memory crashes with v4. I've tried to visit the second space center a few times now, and if I do it in a craft with MapSat installed the game freezes, I check the process and it's at 4.00 GB memory. So I'd really like to find a way to get v3 to work. Ok, I'd really really like it if the dev version had a max resolution/memory fix, but I understand this whole real life thing and how it might slow down development.

Try turning off the scan. If MapSat is scanning, you will get horrible stuttering at low altitude (ie: in-atmosphere), I know this because on the "unofficial v3 update" or whatever it is, it says that he set scanning to off by default to prevent this during launch. Seems to work.

Try turning off the scan. If MapSat is scanning, you will get horrible stuttering at low altitude (ie: in-atmosphere), I know this because on the "unofficial v3 update" or whatever it is, it says that he set scanning to off by default to prevent this during launch. Seems to work.

I can pretty much verify this with the Dev build. I turned on the scanner while climbing, and it just about brought the game to a halt. Just wanted to see what it would do (turn out, just one little square scanned for the entire launch.)

Just to chime in, having no problems running the dev build on 0.21.1. All I copied over were my old map scan graphic files. I let it create a new hilo and artifacts (there's another one, but I forget it's name) files. Ran a simple text with the dish to scan Kerbin, seems to scan OK, it's overwriting my old map with the new data (I may just delete the old map and let it start fresh so I know when it' 100% done). Need to get a probe out to the Mun and see how that goes, but no slow downs, and I'm running MechJeb, Protractor, Alarm Clock, & Subassembly Loader. Maybe one other, I forget, but no parts mods yet. No memory issues so far. Runs pretty smooth actually.

Really?!

Aaaaah, theres the answer!

:D:D:D:D

Yeah, but I hardly ever run any parts mods though. Last one I had was the Lazor mod, still need to look that up. Didn't have any problem with it in .20 anyway, don't expect any now either. Strange, though, that adding parts would slow the game that much. I don't know how they are being loaded, but if the game is trying to keep all parts in memory even if the ship you're running doesn't have that many, I can see it causing problems once you start to add mods with a bunch more parts.

I have no idea why I'm having this issue.

Issue: On random game load the icons (like the compass button) will disappear. I can still click the location of the button and the main ISA window opens but it's missing all the buttons so I'm not sure where to click. What makes this issue so strange is that if I quit the game and reload there is a chance that the buttons will show up and everything will work fine.

Then last night I loaded my save after starting KSP and my map sat when poof because it couldn't load the parts.

Quit KSP and reload and the parts were back.

I have no idea what's going on. Anyone have any suggestions?

When I get home from work I'll put a complete list of mods I have up, maybe I'm getting something that interferes with this one?

EDIT:

Got home from work and discovered that the files were in fact gone?!? I suspect the mod manager I was using, so I'm re-doing my KSP install by hand and going to install my mods by hand and see if that fixes it.

Edited by rottielover

I'm running the 0.21.1 build and the latest dev version of MapSat from the blog, but I think I'm missing something. When I get the satellite into orbit, I'm not able to turn it on. There's no icon other than those that were there before I installed MapSat, and right-clicking on the dish does nothing. The parts are all present, and I think the DLL is in the right place (Plugins folder), but they just don't seem to work. My only other plugin is MechJeb (nice for automating tedious processes that I've already done), and it works fine.

I'm running the 0.21.1 build and the latest dev version of MapSat from the blog, but I think I'm missing something. When I get the satellite into orbit, I'm not able to turn it on. There's no icon other than those that were there before I installed MapSat, and right-clicking on the dish does nothing. The parts are all present, and I think the DLL is in the right place (Plugins folder), but they just don't seem to work. My only other plugin is MechJeb (nice for automating tedious processes that I've already done), and it works fine.
I tried clicking where the icon should be, and it does bring up the map window. Still not sure how I can get it to start scanning. I tried putting it into an action group, but there's no action associated with the dish in the VAB.:confused:

There is more than one Kerbal Space Center.

I've just completely scanned Kerbin and it doesn't show the 2nd KSC (.21.1 and Dev build of Mapsat.)

I didn't delete the artifacts dat file when I installed. Is that the problem (as in the 2nd KSC location is in there and it's an old file)?

Nope, it's not an old file, it was created after the Probe I made.

Also, should just send my probe on to Mun now, or try to get those last specks..?

mpgXGyz.jpg

A1IUdQ4.jpg

Okay, I guess you can't really make out the missed spots on there. There are a few, as there as some unscanned hexes on the Kethane overlay - and both are scanning together...

I think I'll just move the probe on...

I tried clicking where the icon should be, and it does bring up the map window. Still not sure how I can get it to start scanning. I tried putting it into an action group, but there's no action associated with the dish in the VAB.:confused:

Anyone solved this problem? i'm with the same problem. i'm trying to find Duna's Easter eggs. The options do not appear. I can open the Gui, but all in white.

Anyone solved this problem? i'm with the same problem. i'm trying to find Duna's Easter eggs. The options do not appear. I can open the Gui, but all in white.

Missing GUI elements usually mean the mod is installed incorrectly. If you're using the newest dev version, it goes in the game data folder. If you're using the older version, it goes in the parts folder and plugins folder if memory serves.

Reading through this thread, I'm still a bit confused about exactly what I need to do with this mod (the dev version on the blog) for best results in 0.21. I have old maps of Kerbin and Minmus that I created in 0.20 (but not of the Mun yet... I'm en route).

- I have already checked the setting to update the hilo.dat file.

- Do I also need to delete the existing hilo.dat, or not? (I've seen both suggestions posted here)

- Is the Kerbin map different now? (Looks like fewer extreme peaks, more midlands?)

- If so, do I need to manually delete my existing map of Kerbin before remapping it?

- Do I need to delete the anomalies file to pick those up again?

- For that matter, are the anomalies different between versions, and would mapsat pick it up if they were? I thought I'd heard they were hard-coded, in which case, there'd be no point deleting this file?

- Is my old Minmus map still valid?

- Does Mapsat pick up the new Munar craters? (I guess I'll find out soon enough...)

In 0.20 (I just updated to .21) I noticed 2 KSC icons. One was the normal one and the other one was the second KSC (the Easter egg) But then on another pass, it picked up a third KSC! I was puzzled, so I assigned three curious Kerbonauts to examine the site, but when I got there, the site was empty!

Only one of my anomaly markers has turned out to be an actual anomaly. I think maybe the list needs updating for .21? (I don't know how anomaly detection works in MapSat but I'm guessing it's hardcoded and not dynamic?)

Only one of my anomaly markers has turned out to be an actual anomaly. I think maybe the list needs updating for .21? (I don't know how anomaly detection works in MapSat but I'm guessing it's hardcoded and not dynamic?)

Some anomalies can be underground depending on your terrain settings. Have you been to Duna?

Some anomalies can be underground depending on your terrain settings. Have you been to Duna?

Terrain settings are pushed all the way up, I think. It's not the graphics that slows down my machine, it's the physics. :( Lots of cores, but each core is... old. 2.66GHz. And KSP is single-threaded.

Yes, I have been to Duna, but that was before I had MapSat installed. (The mission went great right up until it didn't.)