Graphics flashing colors issue

I'm having an issue after a while, where I get a color flashing issue.. ( or somethings it's all just color no game )

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xayft4v0hn40ejw/KSP.MOV?dl=0

I have a Mac mini 2.3Gig i7 Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024Mb Running Yosemite 10.10.1

Ksp 0.90

Mods installed:

Kerbal Engineer

KSP-AVC

ModuleManager 2.5.4

Herbal Alarm Clock

[Edit: see Post #4 below for pics of what I'm talking about...]

I get a similar issue in 0.90 that didn't seem to be there in 0.25. Graphics seem to degrade after a few launches worth of gameplay (maybe 15-60 minutes). Gradually I get striping and interference FX back at the spaceport, weird coloring inside the VAB, and then when I quit out to the main menu, flickering on the large Kerbin planet on the main menu screen and very psychedelic colors (though image shapes are still normal). Also, after this starts happening my screen refresh bogs down considerably (maybe 5-10 FPS with flickering). I am not a graphics expert but it looks a lot like what I would imagine graphics memory corruption would look like. Lots of blocks, stripes, and colors in the wrong places but the basic game objects are still located where they should be.

It is similar flashing/strobing to the first poster's video clip above, although in my case it affects large regions of the screen rather than the entire screen. E.g. on the main menu screen with the large Kerbin planet, the planet and the 3 floating Kerbals all flash psychedelic colors.

Mods (all are v. 0.90 compatible, downloaded fresh via the "new mod releases" thread):

-- Kerbal Engineer

-- FAR

-- DRE

-- Active Texture Management (tried none, regular, and aggressive -- problems all three ways)

Have encountered it on two different Macs:

-- MacBook Pro Retina (Late 2013), 2.8 GHz Intel i7, 16GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GT750m with 2GB VRAM, OSX Yosemite 10.10.1, running at 1920x1200 resolution

-- iMac 5k Retina Display, 4.0 GHz Intel i7, 32GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M295X with 4GB VRAM, OSX Yosemite 10.10.1, running at 3200x1800 resolution

I have not done a lot of debugging yet, but I saw the first post above and wanted to mention what I'd encountered. As time permits, I will try to get some screen caps, investigate some more on both computers with different game configurations, and report back on any specifics. (Investigation is slow since it doesn't show up right away.)

It's happened a couple of times now even after restarts of KSP and the Mac. The game initially plays fine and then gradually gets corrupted graphics (i.e. it happens "after a while" as the other poster said).

Hope this is helpful.

Edit: Tried a fresh install of KSP fully stock, no mods, and played for awhile without being able to get this to occur and eventually it happened, though subjectively it takes longer to occur. So it might be related to one of the mods. I'm going to add the mods one by one to see which one causes it.

Edit 2: I next installed FAR (along with ModuleManager 2.5.6, which it requires), and after a short while was able to reproduce the first symptom of the problem. I did a couple short flights just goofing around trying to recreate the problem. Eventually, this is what I got when I clicked "Recover Vessel":

PlsciIl.jpg

Unfortunately, the only way to do a screen grab was with the Mac Command-Shift-3 technique (F1 did not seem to work on this screen), and taking the pic froze and crashed the game. But this is exactly how the problem started the last time as well, so I think it's safe to say I'd reproduced it. (From here it generally gets worse, with all the flashing psychedelic colors etc.) So to summarize: With no mods, it doesn't happen. With FAR/Module Manager, it happens. This was on the iMac system described above.

Edited by Yakky
Updated cases where the problem does and doesn't occur

I restarted the game after the crash above and after awhile was able to reproduce the problem:

TtPAaFA.jpg

This time, it was not preceded by the striping shown in my earlier post. The screen refresh rate dropped to about 4 frames/second and it flashed the psychedelic colors one time each refresh. (Took me about 20 screen grabs to get a frame showing the effect.) BTW that is a correct render of my actual rocket, not a mistake... it was a silly craft with some angled and inverted boosters, just goofing around.

From the VAB, I launched the vessel, and then got this. (The game still allowed me to fly the craft, but the image never changed.):

O7eqpL4.jpg

Then from there, I quit out to the main screen, and got this (flickering, alternating with regular Kerbin):

DTuHGPd.jpg

So to summarize, here are the steps I followed to reproduce the problem:

1. iMac 5k Retina Display, 4.0 GHz Intel i7, 32GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M295X with 4GB VRAM, OSX Yosemite 10.10.1, running at 3200x1800 resolution

2. Clean install of KSP 0.90 with latest version of FAR and latest version of ModuleManager (2.5.6) replacing the 2.5.4 distributed with FAR. No other mods. Edit: I have now reproduced with no mods.

3. Sandbox mode

4. Do a few launches, crashes, etc. Doesn't have to reach space and doesn't need a really high part count (this rocket has only 60, I believe). Just mess around for awhile. You can see the crazy rocket I used in the pic above... just something to pass the time. I did a lot of crashes but it's also happened after I do orbits etc. It takes maybe 15-20 minutes and 4-5 flights or so.

5. Eventually you will start getting graphics glitches, either of the striped or the color variety. Once they start, they won't go away even if you quit out to the main screen. But the game still seems to be "playable" (except you can't see what you're doing).

Edited by Yakky

Here are two snippets of console output that I think are associated with the error above. I'm not a developer, so please forgive me if these aren't the right snippets:

*** error: can't allocate region

*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

KSP(538,0xb06a9000) malloc: *** mach_vm_map(size=23040000) failed (error code=3)

KSP(538,0xb06a9000) malloc: *** mach_vm_map(size=23040000) failed (error code=3)

(Hundreds of repeats of the output above...)

Flight State Captured

(Filename: /Applications/buildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/MacStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Saving Achievements Tree...

(Filename: /Applications/buildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/MacStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Saving Achievements Tree...

Game State Saved to saves/sandbox/persistent

[HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From SPACECENTER to MAINMENU (Async) =====================

FAR: save AG actionGroupSpoiler as Brakes

FAR: save AG actionGroupIncreaseFlapDeflection as None

FAR: save AG actionGroupDecreaseFlapDeflection as None

UnloadTime: 9.117169 ms

Unloading 1 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 2092 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 117952.

Total: 131.408630 ms (FindLiveObjects: 7.359310 ms CreateObjectMapping: 3.607088 ms MarkObjects: 113.782417 ms DeleteObjects: 6.290303 ms)

Unloading 0 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 0 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 117930.

Total: 123.211449 ms (FindLiveObjects: 8.005803 ms CreateObjectMapping: 4.140714 ms MarkObjects: 110.818977 ms DeleteObjects: 0.229254 ms)

UnloadTime: 5.680039 ms

Unloading 2 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 9 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 119829.

Total: 126.088234 ms (FindLiveObjects: 7.723091 ms CreateObjectMapping: 4.727626 ms MarkObjects: 113.293663 ms DeleteObjects: 0.280653 ms)

Another Update: I have now been able to reproduce the problem with no mods at all on my iMac. I will search for a related thread in the unmodded support forum and post accordingly. Edit: Added a post to "Disco Mun" thread, which seems related.

Log file here.

So far I have only been able to get the psychedelic colors in a full stock install on my iMac Retina, not my MacBook Pro Retina. However, I get more subtle graphics glitches on the MacBook Pro Retina as well when hovering over the staging icons in VAB or in flight -- I will post about them separately.

Edited by Yakky

• 1 month later...

I am having issues with this as well. I have a 2013 Mac Mini. Same psycho colors but I get mine on the starting screen, right away. It sounds like a memory issue, which would make sense because I have way too many mods installed.

;.;

SmallFatFetus

EDIT: Turns out it's a late 2012 model, Apple never made a 2013.

Edited by SmallFatFetus
Corrections

I'm running KSP without mods on a newish 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, and I'm getting exactly what Yakky described. It only started a few weeks ago, but it's gotten to the point where I'm force-quitting and reopening KSP about every five minutes.

Something similar is happening to me. I'm running the same version of KSP on an iMac and it runs fine for a while, but usually after one mission I go back to the space port and get nothing but the ugly color photo seen in the second pic in Yakky's post.

This happened to me with or without mods. I've been browsing the forums for help and have seen tons of articles like this, it should be resolved by now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.