Development Tools (configuration files)

joshuadery

Don't know if anyone is going to care, but I worked a lot with configuration files trying to tune things to my liking in KSP, and in the process learned a lot about what they do, what the [module]s do, and all that jazz. I thought that someone, especially mod developers, might benefit from all that research, so I hand-typed it all into the wiki.

For those who are interested, http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/CFG_File_Documentation has everything you need to know about configuration files. Not just the parts configuration files, either, but resources, contracts, and more! And for those mod developers who think they need to code a new mod for their part, explanations of the all the stock modules can be found here: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Module. I will be updating as I can, and adding modules from add-ons, as well, as time permits. Right now, it has all of the stock modules from [0.90] explained as best I can, with examples from actual code, including usages. So...you developers may not have to write your own modules anymore!

A noble effort! Kudos! :)

Looks like it needs a fair bit of polishing, though...

A few examples--first, I notice you say 'rescaleFactor isn't used often'--that seems contradicted by most cfgs I've seen. Only configs from before the Great Rescaling tend to skip it...Also, it's bugged when MODEL is used. As to MODULEs, did you actually check the KSPFields for each module, or are you just reporting what settings have been commonly used in cfg files? DockingNode, for example, is missing a lot of its settings. Further, the angles and offsets in fx listings just aren't used anymore, they're spawned at the relevant transform...I'd suggest a fair bit of digging through recent threads in these forums to see the current status of this stuff, as a lot has changed from how things used to be.

Edited by NathanKell

Actually, it's all derived from observation of usage in-game, and, as such, consists of a lot of guesswork, even if it is intelligent guesswork. Which threads would you recommend specifically.

And yeah, lots of polish still needed, but as a baseline, it works, does it not? It's still far more comprehensive than anything I've seen so far. Being on the wiki means that anybody who knows the material better can updatr, of course! (And please: do update! I'm neither perfect nor perfectly familiar with the material, so...)

A noble effort! Kudos! :)

...first, I notice you say 'rescaleFactor isn't used often'--that seems contradicted by most cfgs I've seen. Only configs from before the Great Rescaling tend to skip it...

What I meant was: although it is present in quite a few cfgs, the uniformity of calls to rescaleFactor suggest that it need not be included.

Informational about me: I didn't even start playing until [0.23].

joshuadery: yeah, please don't take me as being negative. :) I do seriously mean it's a noble effort, and you do deserve kudos for it! :)

I will try to contribute to the wiki when I get home and have more time.

For things to read, I'd suggest the two stickies in the Dev forum regarding info for developers / community docs.

Which reminds me, this thread should actually be in that forum too, so...off we go! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.