OTHOAB's textures for Procedural Parts (0.12) [08 JANUARY]

OTHOAB

INFO

This adds Procedural Karbonite tank and new textures for Procedural Parts.

There at least two textures for everything: base texture and texture for side.

WARNING! IF YOU ARE UPGRADING MAKE SURE TO DELETE PREVIOUS VERSION

Yeah, you might need to reinstall Procedural Parts too...

SCREENS

Javascript is disabled. View full album

OPTIONAL (Tank Merger)

If you would like to have only one procedural tank for liquid fuel, oxidizer, karbonite, rcs and xenon have a look at 'optional' folder in zip file.

gd3WJau.gif

DOWNLOAD

Click me

NOTE

Keep in mind that textures for batteries and LifeSupport containers were created with these ratios:

1/5 for base textures (where 1 is length and 5 is diameter)

4/1 for side textures (4 is length, 1 is diameter)

I highly recommend you to stick to these ratios or you might get too stretchy textures.

REQUIRED

Procedural Parts

LICENSE

CC-BY-SA 3.0

CREDITS

swamp_ig for Procedural Parts (CC-BY-SA 3.0)

TaranisElsu for TAC Life Support (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0)

Greys (?) for HexCans for TAC Life Support (CC-BY 3.0)

RoverDude for Karbonite

Kolago and hvacengi for helping with configs.

I hope I understand all these licenses and needed credits correctly...

Edited by OTHOAB
updated

Hello,

I m the author of the SETI BalanceMod.

The mod is under development (early version has just been released on kerbalstuff right before your mod),

and one of its features is, that it heavily uses ProceduralParts to remove clutter from the assembly building.

Unfortunately ProceduralParts had some not so great textures for

- Batteries

- TAC life support

- Aircraft fuselage parts (plain white is too bright, and for the others, the textures wont fit in)

I plan on making your mod a requirement in the next release and set your textures to be the new defaults for batteries and life support.

edit: I think we need to work on the cfg files you provided, since yours seem to create duplicate parts.

I ll take a more detailed look at them and then propose the changes to you under the ProceduralParts license.

edit2: I misread your zip structure, "installing" the mod actually overwrites the ProceduralParts folder, which is extremely problematic in terms of mod installs.

This among other things has to be reworked, especially for CKAN support. As I said, I ll take a look at it, though I m no expert (learned it yesterday for my mod ;-) )

If you are interested, it would be very helpful for my mod, if you consider making a texture that fits in with the stock mk1 cockpits and generally the aero textures.

Especially needed for Procedural Structural Element, Procedural Fuel Tank and Procedural Nose Cone!

Thank you very much and best regards,

Yemo

Edited by Yemo

INFO

This adds Procedural Karbonite tank and new textures for Procedural Parts.

There at least two textures for everything: base texture and texture for side.

Some of default .cfgs from Procedural Parts were modified. I basically changed textureSet and default shapes of LS containers, decouplers, batteries, rcs and xenon tanks.

Better do the CFG changes of the original Procedural Parts CFGs with ModuleManager!

- - - Updated - - -

Here are MM configs so you don't need to overwrite PP configs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0v81ur36wg1ji8q/OTHOABmisc_MM.zip?dl=0

I just downloaded the MM cfg files from Kolago and tried them on an install and they appear to be working well. I wish there was a way to set a default texture when the tank type is changed, but that's very manageable. I would recommend one addition to Kolago's files: I added a MM patch to add Karbonite to the default liquid tank. I simply wanted to keep a single fuel tank in my list of parts rather than a copy that just contained Karbonite. I suppose the biggest benefit using a separate part is the ability to change the default texture. Anyways, here is the patch in case you want it:

@PART[proceduralTankLiquid]:NEEDS[ProceduralParts&Karbonite]{
@MODULE[TankContentSwitcher]
{
TANK_TYPE_OPTION
{
name = Karbonite
dryDensity = 0.10865
RESOURCE
{
name = Karbonite
unitsPerT = 1600
forceEmpty = true
}
// 'KB4560 Karbonite tank' has dry mass of 0.5 and can store 800 Karbonite
// Procedural Karbonite tank of the same size has dry mass of 0.5 and can store 800 Karbonite, phew
}
}
}

With this patch, a 1.25m diameter by 3.75m tall tank contains 800 units of Karbonite, and matches the mass of a default 800 unit tank.

If you do not choose to use this patch, make sure to include your original TankKarbonite.cfg (not included in Kolago's zip). I would recommend including it in your own directory instead of in the ProceduralParts directory to allow for less confusion on install/uninstall.

But I love these textures! The life support tanks look so much cleaner (most notably in the taller form factor)! I'm glad you shared.

Edited by hvacengi

I plan on making your mod a requirement in the next release and set your textures to be the new defaults for batteries and life support.

With Kolago's configs you wouldn't need that. Leaving a link to this thread would be enough.

I messaged Kolago, asked about permission to include his configs in the package.

Once I permission will be given, I rearrange folders and files and reupload the mod again.

If you are interested, it would be very helpful for my mod, if you consider making a texture that fits in with the stock mk1 cockpits and generally the aero textures.

Especially needed for Procedural Structural Element, Procedural Fuel Tank and Procedural Nose Cone!

Something like stock Structural Fuselage, Mk1 Liquid Fuel Fuselage and... Standard Nosecone?

Hm, I will think about that.

I suppose the biggest benefit using a separate part is the ability to change the default texture.

No, not only. Separate parts are for different proposes. Karbonite is not only fuel, right? It can be converted into liquid fuel, oxidizer and electricity. It makes Karbonite special. I hope you understand what I mean.

I simply wanted to keep a single fuel tank in my list of parts rather than a copy that just contained Karbonite.

In this case you would like to merge RCS fuel and xenon tanks too. Is there a way to remove certain files using just MM configs? Anyway, I would be glad to make your proposed changes optional, if you wouldn't mind.

Edited by OTHOAB

@OTHOAB: I give my permission to use my MM configs in your mod. It would be appreciated if you credit me some where.

Delete with MM:

@part[partname]
{
}

@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[FusionPellets]
{
}

@TANK_DEFINITION[Default]
{
@TANK[ArgonGas]
{
}
}

Edited by Kolago

Just wanted to let you know there seems to be an issue with the ckan file/repository.

First, it doesn't list the updated version in the ckan gui. I haven't dug into the logic of ckan, but I wonder if this is related to the change in version conventions (0.12 > 06.01, but maybe the program doesn't recognize that).

Second, it is installing the entirety of your OTHOABtextures directory into the GameData folder. This results in the following folder structure:

[KSP root]/GameData/OTHOABtextures
[KSP root]/GameData/OTHOABtextures/GameData/OTHOABmisc [and its contents]
[KSP root]/GameData/OTHOABtextures/Optional

The contents of each directory is copied out of the zip instead of just copying OTHOABmisc into [KSP root]/GameData. I'm not sure if kerbalstuff is automating your ckan submission, but you might want to look at it's options or check your ckan/netkan file.

It works perfectly when not installed with ckan though. Thanks again for sharing!

Thanks to you for letting me know.

I remember that I unpicked 'add to CKAN' -thing, but it appears that the mod was still added there. So I feel like I should provide compatibility.

At first I thought that it takes the last uploaded version as a current version but it seems doesn't.

I will look into this a bit later, CKAN looks complicated for me for now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.