Saturn 1 Internal Camera

Frida Space

So, I was watching the SpaceX CRS-5 launch yesterday, and after a few minutes there was a shot with bubbles everywhere, which at first made me think that the first stage had splashed down in the ocean. After a very quick search, it turns out it was an internal camera in the second stage fuel tank, and it turns out that these kinds of cameras have been used by NASA since the Saturn rocket era. Maybe some of you already knew that, but still, here's a cool video shot by the internal camera on the fifth Saturn I launch, the first ever with a second stage. What you are seeing is kerosene (RP-1) being sucked up by the eight rocket motors in the first stage. The launch occured on Jan 29th, 1964 (almost exactly 51 years ago) and brought a record 16-ton paylod into orbit. It was the first ever Saturn rocket to reach orbit. hope you enjoy the video!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.