Flight Sticks for KSP

Alshain

I've been thinking about getting a flight stick for KSP. I don't do a lot of flight sims so I was looking for some recommendations in the cheap to mid range (HINT: I'm not paying $200 USD for it, no matter how good it is). So, something in the $50 range or less. Anyone have any recommendations?

I can get the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro today for $35 locally. It looks ok but I really don't have any expertise in flight sticks.

The Logitech Extreme 3d pro is on the recommended list in the Joystick recommendations list here> http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/12479-Joystick-recommendation-%28and-avoidance%29-thread?highlight=joystick.

Thought the lack of a throttle grip is a no-go for me, throttle grips really help with VTOL landing an maneuvers as you have much smoother and precise control. I have the Saitek x52 and I sometimes just use the throttle grip without the stick. At $100-$130 it would be out of your price range though. however if you are ok with not having a throttle grip the Logitech would work great.

The Logitech Extreme 3d pro is on the recommended list in the Joystick recommendations list here> http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/12479-Joystick-recommendation-%28and-avoidance%29-thread?highlight=joystick.

Thought the lack of a throttle grip is a no-go for me, throttle grips really help with VTOL landing an maneuvers as you have much smoother and precise control. I have the Saitek x52 and I sometimes just use the throttle grip without the stick. At $100-$130 it would be out of your price range though. however if you are ok with not having a throttle grip the Logitech would work great.

Ah, nice thread. That second one (Thrustmaster) is another in my price range, I was looking at it as well and it does have a throttle grip. I also like that the throttle is detachable. The x52 is a no go due to price I'm afraid.

Edited by Alshain

This is probably a little more than you want to pay, but this is the base model of the stick I use.

FSP.jpg&w=200&h=200&method=surface&quality=80

CH Flightstick Pro

CH joysticks are a little on the expensive side, but they are precise and they are tough. The control software that comes with them is fairly powerful, though it's not the most user friendly thing in the world. This particular stick has a trigger, three buttons and an 8-way hat. It does have a dial on the base for throttle control, but there is no "twist" for rudder control. Personally, I find joysticks that twist annoying, but your mileage may vary.

For what it's worth, while joysticks make aircraft in KSP much more enjoyable, I've found that I don't like using the stick for spacecraft operating outside of an atmosphere. The keyboard is just more precise for RCS maneuvering.

Also the Thrustmaster T-Flight (just stick) for $30 or the T-Flight HOTAS (same but with throttle, more travel distance = more fine control) for $50 (both prices according to Amazon, thou).

As for the software, this is where TM shines... at least in capabilities (execution is another matter, works but lackluster). With TM's software you can make your joystick send keyboard strokes and do all sort of weird things, so flexibility is fantastic to accomodate strange... let's say "game designs decisions". You could literally make it turn your air conditioner via the Internet if you wanted for some bizarre reason!

Never used Logitech so I'm not sure about theirs.

The problem with the T-HOTAS X currently is FINDING one. It's listed on Best Buy and the similar go-to places, but out of stock, and has been since about Christmas. Plenty if sub-sellers on Amazon and eBay, but you might pay way more than the $50.

I did find it at Staples, but haven't decided to buy it yet; my MS Precision 2 is stll in good working order and I just bought a new laptop, so I can't justify buying a new game controller.

The easiest one to get is definitely the Logitech.

Edited by pincushionman

The problem with the T-HOTAS X currently is FINDING one. It's listed on Best Buy and the similar go-to places, but out of stock, and has been since about Christmas. Plenty if sub-sellers on Amazon and eBay, but you might pay way more than the $50.

I did find it at Staples, but haven't decided to buy it yet; my MS Precision 2 is stll in good working order and I just bought a new laptop, so I can't justify buying a new game controller.

The easiest one to get is definitely the Logitech.

Well, it's being sold by Amazon.com directly for $50 exactly (pre-tax of course) and I get free 2 day shipping from them. Strangely some third party is attempting to sell a used one for $45 grand, gotta love amazon. It's currently the front-runner.

After trying with my XBOX 360 controller, I like the idea of the Presets button. I really hate the docking mode built into this game. The idea of pressing a button to switch between rotation and translation just irritates me. If the controller has presets, I can use the hat on the stick as both camera for flight, and translation with chase cam for docking.

I also disliked the disjointed yaw control I ended up with on my 360 controller and the fact I had to take my hand off the controls to adjust the camera on the dpad. Especially crucial when attempting to land a plane. It might be time to re-evaluate the improved chase cam mod but I think the joystick will solve that issue.

Edited by Alshain

I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and I'd highly recommend it (for the price). It allows for excessive pitch, yaw, roll, and throttle control. I mapped RCS Translation to the 8 direction thumb stick and 2 buttons. It works like a charm.

(I might have to RMA it because I'm getting a false input, but it works fine)

Edit: It only took me a year; I just increased the dead zones and it responds normally. I may add a larger dead zone for roll because it often interferes with pitch and yaw.

Edited by Tank Buddy

I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and I'd highly recommend it (for the price). It allows for excessive pitch, yaw, roll, and throttle control. I mapped RCS Translation to the 8 direction thumb stick and 2 buttons. It works like a charm. (I might have to RMA it because I'm getting a false input, but it works fine)

But how do you control the camera?

Funny thing is I just remembered my Dad owns one of things and he lives just across town. I'll have to borrow it.

He plays FSX, but he actually has a pilots license. I find flight sims a bit boring.

Well, I just use the mouse. It is obnoxious to go back and forth between joystick and mouse for map and camera, but I got used to it. You could (and very well can) map the 8 direction thumb stick to camera rotation and map 2 buttons to zoom. There are binding assignments in the KSP settings menu that would do that. I just prefer to use the thumb stick for RCS translation (It is awesome!)

Also, I don't see a reason to spend +$100 on a joystick. This one works fine, and I would rather upgrade my PC rather than buy a $120 peripheral. If you do want a high quality (not that the Logitech isn't) joystick for any reason, don't let me stop you.

Edited by Tank Buddy

Well, I just use the mouse. It is obnoxious to go back and forth between joystick and mouse for map and camera, but I got used to it. You could (and very well can) map the 8 direction thumb stick to camera rotation and map 2 buttons to zoom. There are binding assignments in the KSP settings menu that would do that. I just prefer to use the thumb stick for RCS translation (It is awesome!)

Also, I don't see a reason to spend +$100 on a joystick. This one works fine, and I would rather upgrade my PC rather than buy a $120 peripheral. If you do want a high quality (not that the Logitech isn't) joystick for any reason, don't let me stop you.

Well, that would seem to be the biggest advantage of the Thrustmaster then. It has the preset button so 90% of my flight when I'm not docking I can use the hat for camera and still have the advantage of translation on the same hat when docking. Plus the nicer throttle and two handed approach. Disadvantage seems to be it is a little more expensive (only about $15 though), and probably takes more desktop space.

I'm going to borrow my Dad's Logitech and make sure the flight stick is the way I want to go anyway. After the 360 controller I'm having some doubts, I found rocket launches very hard without the keyboard. Planes were a little easier though. FYI, I'm also very interested in Elite: Dangerous, though I don't own it yet.

Edited by Alshain

I have a 3rd-party PS3 gamepad that's PC compatible which I quite like to use. It gives you full control of all six control axes plus engines. My setup is this:

Left stick: pitch, yaw

Right stick: translate forward/back, roll

d-pad: translate up/down, translate left/right. (Also assigned to rover wheel forward/backward, steering)

L1: zero thrust (and brakes)

L2: reduce thrust

R1: full thrust

R2: increase thrust

X: SAS toggle

Square: RCS toggle

Triangle: Map view

Circle: Stage

Select: landing gear

Start: lights

With this setup, flying planes works well enough (pitch/yaw on one stick takes getting used to, but is certainly better than on separate sticks when in space). Docking is great as you can first align the docking ports using the left stick, hold with SAS, then perform the actual docking with control over all three axes plus roll to get the two craft orientated how you want them.

Another approach would be to have a pair of 3-axis joysticks, though I don't think this would be as intuitive.

Funny thing is I just remembered my Dad owns one of things and he lives just across town. I'll have to borrow it.

He plays FSX, but he actually has a pilots license. I find flight sims a bit boring.

When using the joystick, I use the arrow keys on the keyboard to control the camera.

That is similar to how I have my 360 controller set up except yaw and roll were reversed. Though I did think Roll on the second stick might be a good idea since yaw is not used as much, I haven't tried it yet. However, there is still that camera limitation that I found to be incredibly annoying.

That is similar to how I have my 360 controller set up except yaw and roll were reversed.

I find that while this works well in atmospheric flight, in space and when flying rockets it gets annoying since you use pitch and yaw on their own most of the time. Just feels more intuitive to use the left stick to point the spacecraft in the right direction. The other benefit is that the roll axis remains available when doing translation during docking.

I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and I'd highly recommend it (for the price). It allows for excessive pitch, yaw, roll, and throttle control. I mapped RCS Translation to the 8 direction thumb stick and 2 buttons. It works like a charm.

(I might have to RMA it because I'm getting a false input, but it works fine)

Edit: It only took me a year; I just increased the dead zones and it responds normally. I may add a larger dead zone for roll because it often interferes with pitch and yaw.

ive had this stick for a few years, love it- I might set up the RCS docking controls to atuate on stick movement though, like a real docking joystick does.

And, if you're left handed, well, there's pretty much no good options. I use a Mad Catz V.1, which is inexpensive and feels not horrible. I used to have a CH Flightstick Pro (old game-port version), but it had severe limitations, like you couldn't use the hat while the trigger was held down.

I would GLADLY pay for a left-handed stick of the caliber of the X-52, or even Fly.9 or Fly.5, but sadly, we're too small a market.

And, if you're left handed, well, there's pretty much no good options. I use a Mad Catz V.1, which is inexpensive and feels not horrible. I used to have a CH Flightstick Pro (old game-port version), but it had severe limitations, like you couldn't use the hat while the trigger was held down.

I would GLADLY pay for a left-handed stick of the caliber of the X-52, or even Fly.9 or Fly.5, but sadly, we're too small a market.

Yeah, I feel sorry for you lefties sometimes. I'm completely naturally ambidextrous. I can write with both hands simultaneously as long as I'm writing the same thing with both. So, I could go either way really.

Edited by Alshain

I've had a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for several years now, and can confirm that with heavy use it can lose some calibration.

I used to use it extensively for racing games (hey, it worked better than you'd think!) and since the use was rather heavy, I noticed the twist axis is permanently (though almost negligibly) stuck to the right. I can still use it fine for the most part, but I just have to be aware of that for sensitive vessels.

I too have the LT E3D Pro.

The low cost, plus the good rep it had for KSP made it attractive.

Also being smaller than other models with a separate thrust module, made the unauthorized purchase go undetected in my office for several months.

I have noticed that I need to increase the dead zone on the L/R axis as my hand resting on the control makes it drift to the right if I'm not paying attention.

The throttle control looks a bit small, but works surprisingly well.

But being an incurable tinkerer, I'll probably mod it at some point.

P.S.

I didn't realise that the hat switch was 8 way until I read it in this thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.