Low Flyer Elite

CitizenAerospace,

He's left that wide open intentionally. So long as it is capable of repeated flights and is within the stated rules, you should be good to go.

Deutherius,

It's possible to go more extreme. I'm flying a 70kg 4 part craft out to the island without too many issues, but I keep exceeding the ceiling on landing due to my lack of piloting awesomeness :(

If I don't pull it off, I imagine somebody (probably you) will.

Good luck!

-Slashy

...It's possible to go more extreme. I'm flying a 70kg 4 part craft out to the island without too many issues, but I keep exceeding the ceiling on landing due to my lack of piloting awesomeness :(

If I don't pull it off, I imagine somebody (probably you) will...

You are a much better engineer and pilot than I am. I tried to improve my design, but it has a major flaw - it needs SAS. It can't land without disabling pitch control on the control surfaces (trying to land with pitch control on would be like trying to put out fire with kerosene). No SAS means no pitch authority, and no landing.

Smallest SAS module weights 50 kg, smallest probe core is 30 kg, and one Elevon is 20 kg, which already puts me over your mass record. I tried going with a design similar to yours (no SAS, two winglets), but I can't even take off. (even if I could, I don't have the patience to go slower than 100 m/s)

So, hats off to you, because in my view that is just incredible.

HOWEVER!

I never turn down a challenge... And if you can't satisfy the rules, then it's time for some rulebending :cool: Since OP didn't specify which game version to use...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

KSP 0.25 had just what I needed - inbuild SAS in probe cores. Probodobodyne OKTO2 + Elevon + wheel + solar panel = 60 kg, 4 parts, over mach 1 capable and still cute :cool: Managed a flawless landing, lowest altitude is undocumented (probably somewhere around 15 m, but I'm not sure), took me about 20 tries (this is not an easy craft for precision flying).

Available for download HERE

Mods installed (but unused): KER, KAC

I am pretty sure someone can dig out an even older version of KSP with even more OP stuff, but this is probably the best I can pull off. :)

(Also this might be a little cheaty, so no hard feelings if my second entry goes as a gatecrasher. Lil' Kraken's Lil' Brother's Lil' Friend is probably going to cry though. You monster.)

Edited by Deutherius

Deutherius,

Fine example of thinking outside the box! If it stands, I think you've got the record forever.

Best,

-Slashy

Thanks! It might not get accepted, so no reason for celebrations just yet :wink:

BTW, would you mind posting your latest design (even if it didn't complete the challenge)? I wonder where you shaved off 20 kg of weight... I think you switched the probe core from Stayputnik to QBE, but I'm also hoping that you just created a one-winged design, which would be hilarious (and so... kerbal). Come to think of it... I used a 40 kg core. If you can fly your craft with QBE and one wing... You might still get me by 10 kg of mass.

Thanks! It might not get accepted, so no reason for celebrations just yet :wink:

BTW, would you mind posting your latest design (even if it didn't complete the challenge)? I wonder where you shaved off 20 kg of weight... I think you switched the probe core from Stayputnik to QBE, but I'm also hoping that you just created a one-winged design, which would be hilarious (and so... kerbal). Come to think of it... I used a 40 kg core. If you can fly your craft with QBE and one wing... You might still get me by 10 kg of mass.

My design was exactly the same as yours, just with the stayputnik. I'll put it up when I get home after work.

No way I can make such a light craft work without reaction wheel torque.

Best,

-Slashy

Well congrats, you are accepted, I did not expect you guys to end up with such a small craft. This is exactly why I left the parameters so open for interpretation.

(Also this might be a little cheaty, so no hard feelings if my second entry goes as a gatecrasher. Lil' Kraken's Lil' Brother's Lil' Friend is probably going to cry though. You monster.)

And there are no gatecrashers here so to say, so this really does take the title.

Deutherius,

As promised, here's my 70kg 4 piece design:

Nano3-3_zpsxjkwcefd.jpg

As I said, functionally identical to your winning entry except for the okto2 core.

http://wikisend.com/download/574768/Nano3.craft

I was able to fly it to the island without incident, but wasn't able to land it without breaking the ceiling. Should've disabled the pitch response like you did :D

Have fun,

-Slashy

Thanks Slashy :)

...Should've disabled the pitch response like you did...

But then you would have no pitch authority, as the Stayputnik doesn't have it's own reaction wheels (no torgue). That design just doesn't work in 0.90 (or it might, but would require epic engineering, piloting and timing skills... which I lack)

Thanks Slashy :)

But then you would have no pitch authority, as the Stayputnik doesn't have it's own reaction wheels (no torgue). That design just doesn't work in 0.90 (or it might, but would require epic engineering, piloting and timing skills... which I lack)

Actually, the Stayputnik does have reaction wheels, which is why I'm stuck with it. The Okto2 and cube have no reaction wheels in .90.

Best,

-Slashy

Actually, the Stayputnik does have reaction wheels, which is why I'm stuck with it. The Okto2 and cube have no reaction wheels in .90.

Best,

-Slashy

Um... mine doesn't. On a clean install of 0.90. And according to wiki, it shouldn't have. Are you sure there's no mods or old parts interfering?

Well I built something that is the biggest and the heaviest and I did 3 great things with it:

1. I got it there and crashed it while never going over 150 m.

2. I got it there and landed it 100% but accidentally went to 170 m while afk cruising over the ocean.

3. But best of all I recorded it so you all can watch me crash over 20 times! http://youtu.be/e_7R4Yf3LLs

Its stats are:

parts: 288

weight: 435.5 t

dimensions: 9.7 m x 29.1 m x 41.2 m

I'll try to get it there tomorrow!

Edited by TheLongRun
weirdly worded

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.