Sources Of KSP Information

Pecan

In writing the beginner's guide to KSP I'm trying to compile a list of sources of information (for the game itself, not orbital mechanics, etc.)

I have the KSP site, wiki and forums, obviously, along with reddit and twitch - and Curse and KerbalStuff for mods.

Does anyone have the details for following KSP/Squad on twitter or other places/media I haven't gathered yet?

In writing the beginner's guide to KSP I'm trying to compile a list of sources of information (for the game itself, not orbital mechanics, etc.)

I have the KSP site, wiki and forums, obviously, along with reddit and twitch - and Curse and KerbalStuff for mods.

Does anyone have the details for following KSP/Squad on twitter or other places/media I haven't gathered yet?

I don't think it's possible to list all the 3rd party sites that Maxmaps posts stuff on. Someone linked to one of his comments and when I clicked it, it told me I had to pay to read it.

Isaac Newton's Law of Gravity.

States that any two bodies in the universe attract each other with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/history/newtongrav.html

Edited by Lohan2008

Isaac Newton's Law of Gravity.

States that any two bodies in the universe attract each other with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/history/newtongrav.html

Except KSP doesn't entirely follow that law. In KSP, the only gravitational force applied to a ship is the planetary body which the sphere of influence it resides in. If you are orbiting Kerbin, the Mun has absolutely no effect on you.

It's also completely irrelevant as a source of information for the game itself! Why should we take any notice of Newton, he never played KSP! Pah!

Thanks for all the comments so far guys - first draft published for comments.

I would add KerbalX as a source of craft files for people who want to play around with the designs of others, and KerbalMaps for surface info about the celestial bodies in KSP (though a spoiler warning would be in order, it gives the locations of known anomalies). I would have suggested olex and alexmoon's transfer calculators but you said you weren't after orbital mechanics.

Social media has the official KSP accounts: @KerbalSpaceP on Twitter, Kerbal Space Program on Facebook, kerbaldevteam on Tumblr, and the Kerbal Space Program youtube channel. There are several more unofficial sources that are sometimes worth paying attention to but that's probably beyond the scope of an intro for beginners.

Scott Manley gets a special mention, whereas the transfer window planner is a bit advanced for this guide. Cheers guys.

(@ NecroBones - you know from when you started making them that I've liked your videos more than most, but if I start listing all the good guys it's going to become impossible to maintain. Sorry).

I remember seeing somewhere (although I can't find it now) that there were charts/line graphs showing the highest point at each latitude for each body which would allow you to set your orbit to within metres of the highest point and not hit anything (for those who like to orbit very low)

All I remember is that you can safely orbit at 6.5Km at the equator on Mun

If anyone found those I'd be a happy John FX.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.