Craft-Ception

SpenSpaceCorp

Hello everyone,

Because the space program's budget was recently significantly increased (someone accidentally added an extra digit or two), an attempt at creating a ridiculous "long range" bomber has resulted in the development of a monstrosity. Instead of overcoming regular boring obstacles, such as "lack of fuel" and "not enough wings for the too heavy aircraft", a brilliant Kerbal in the back of the room suggested, "why not just carry another bomber?" Thus began the idea of craft-ception, putting one craft inside another craft.

BUT WAIT! There's more! The engineers took this concept to the next level, developing a bomber small enough that could fit withing the Mk. 2 cargo bays, which in turn could be carried inside the Mk. 3 cargo bays!!!

Thus, I present to you, a bomb carrying bomber within a bomber within a bomber!!!

The large bomber taking off (rocket assisted):

JN8g9XG.png

The large bomber releasing the medium bomber:

h3op5qG.png

The medium bomber in-flight:

7wBAZoW.png

The medium bomber releasing the small bomber:

YOm754O.png

The small bomber in-flight:

T7lHa7q.png

The small bomber releasing the bomb (the bomb detached too fast for a pic):

1KZXj0X.png

The small bomb in flight:

y8wo9Rc.png

I am curious to see if/what others have done in this regard. (I think it would be awesome to fit something like this monstrosity within ANOTHER larger cargo bay from a mod!

Edited by SpenSpaceCorp

Yeah, but that's not a bomb.

It's a missile! Which means you have four craft in their, not three plus a dumb payload. Nice!

Somebody set you up the bomb... :)

Nice craft though - I liked having two SRBs for a rocket assisted take-off and the lifting body design for Bomber the 2nd was sweet.

I kind of have something like this. My orbital Mun Base has a 4-Kerbal lander that shuttles Kerbonauts back and forth from the surface of the Mun. It's stored in the aft cargo hold when not in use:

screenshot103_zpsccb29ftv.png

Lander craft on approach with passenger.

screenshot105_zps65v1og4i.png

Lander Craft docked inside cargo bay.

screenshot106_zps1zbro99p.png

Cargo bays closed.

It's a missile! Which means you have four craft in their, not three plus a dumb payload. Nice!

:confused: what if I were to attach a missile to that missile?!?!?!?!?!?! :o :O :o

- - - Updated - - -

Regolith, that is not a bad idea! It would protect the lander from Jeb's docking/EVA shenanigans.

Also, thank you KSK!

Edited by SpenSpaceCorp

Regolith, that is not a bad idea! It would protect the lander from Jeb's docking/EVA shenanigans.

The lander is remote-controlled, so Jeb doesn't have much to do when he's riding in it. :D

I mainly built it that way because when I got a mission for the orbital mun base, I also had a bunch of Kerbals (including Jeb) stranded on the surface, and having an internally-docked lander minimizes the wonkiness that happens when you try and maneuver the station around vs. having an externally attached ship.

It's also surprisingly easy to dock. The cargo bay gives a nice reference for lining everything up. I installed the Docking Port Alignment mod specifically to help with this, expecting it to be very difficult, and I hardly even used it.

Somebody set you up the bomb... :)

Nice craft though - I liked having two SRBs for a rocket assisted take-off and the lifting body design for Bomber the 2nd was sweet.

+1. It is

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.