Add "Samantha" to the list of randomly generated names.

Why just Italian? If they do that, they might as well add in Sally, Helen, Roberta, Anousheh, Kalpana, Claudie, Mae, Liu, Chiaki, Wubbo, So-Yeon.. Not that I'm against that, what I am against is campaigning for 'the first woman from a particular country in space' and not for 'first women in space'.

How about no? Most of the kerbal names are random. I like to find one with a cool, random name best.

The names chosen are random, but many of them are named after astronauts (the ones I recognize the names of anyway) with a spelling difference and some even combine names, so, I suspect that they'll go down that route.

Seriously? What reason does anyone have to be against this?

There's no way adding a specific name to the kerbal roster takes more than a few minutes of dev time away from whatever other feature you can't stand not having, if that's what you're worried about. Samantha Cristoforetti is an important enough person that having a kerbal named after her would make perfect sense.

Also, recognizable human names show up all the time in the current namegen, so there's no point in coming back around with the Kerbals Are Aliens Stop Representing Human People thing again. It didn't work for female kerbals (because, surprise, kerbals are modeled directly after humans) and it won't work here either, only this time you've got even less reason to be upset.

So everybody calm down, yeah?

Edited by GreeningGalaxy

Seriously? What reason does anyone have to be against this?

There's no way adding a specific name to the kerbal roster takes more than a few minutes of dev time away from whatever other feature you can't stand not having, if that's what you're worried about. Samantha Cristoforetti is an important enough person that having a kerbal named after her would make perfect sense.

Also, recognizable human names show up all the time in the current namegen, so there's no point in coming back around with the Kerbals Are Aliens Stop Representing Human People thing again. It didn't work for female kerbals (because, surprise, kerbals are modeled directly after humans) and it won't work here either, only this time you've got even less reason to be upset.

So everybody calm down, yeah?

Jesus, we're saying that they shouldn't put particular names into the array. Not that we should kill all women names

We just want generic names in the generator

Why just Italian? If they do that, they might as well add in Sally, Helen, Roberta, Anousheh, Kalpana, Claudie, Mae, Liu, Chiaki, Wubbo, So-Yeon.. Not that I'm against that, what I am against is campaigning for 'the first woman from a particular country in space' and not for 'first women in space'.

... which would also be a good thing. It just happens that I'm italian, so it's pretty natural for me to care more about Samantha than others.

It would be nice for me if "Samantha" was part of the names pool: I don't want the others to be excluded, I just want this to be included.

It also happens to be a name that doesn't clash with the general american-ish names so far, unlike all the other names of italian astronauts.

How about no? Most of the kerbal names are random. I like to find one with a cool, random name best.
The names chosen are random, but many of them are named after astronauts (the ones I recognize the names of anyway) with a spelling difference and some even combine names, so, I suspect that they'll go down that route.

I might be wrong, but as far as I know names are procedurally generated composing random syllables.

Jesus, we're saying that they shouldn't put particular names into the array. Not that we should kill all women names

We just want generic names in the generator

"Samantha" is not a particularly weird name. It's not like I asked the generator to include "Umberto Guidoni" or "Franco Malerba"...

Edited by Ippo
derp english

You can add names into the game as you wish. Open your KSP installation directory, find the folder "saves", and then the saved game data you wish to modify. In your game folder, there will be a folder named "persistent.sfs". Open it in a word document.

Next, scroll down until you find the section "ROSTER". This section shows the names of your hired Kerbals, and Kerbals still for hire. You can add, modify, or delete Kerbal names at your own will.

In fact, here's what you can add:

}		KERBAL
{
name = Samantha Kerman
type = Applicant
brave = 0.4
dumb = 0.005
badS = False
state = Available
ToD = 7200155
idx = -1
CAREER_LOG
{
flight = 0
}
FLIGHT_LOG
{
flight = 0
}

Edited by Xannari Ferrows

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.