Is my keyboard dead?

bartekkru99

I recently spilled some coca cola on my keyboard, so i immediately turned it up side down and waited for it to dry out, so i plugged it back to my computer, it was working but some of the keys were sticky, so i decided to clean it, after waiting few hours for it dry, but then only numlock diode was lighted up and i couldn't write anything, so I replugged it and even th light wasn't on...

- - - Updated - - -

HfbDQxB.jpg?1

He ded.

Heh, looks exactly like one I had. Spilled water on it and had to kiss it goodbye. Looks like it's time for you to get a new one, it'll probably cost more to repair it than buying another keyboard.

I really liked it, now i need to write on s*hitty flat USB keyboard...

I've done this before. Took the keyboard and dunked it into a sink of warm (close to hot) water for a few moments, to let the sugar from the soda dissolve. Then pulled it out and drained it off, took it outside and shook the life out of it to get as much water out of it as possible. Then I packed it in a plastic bag full of white rice and sealed it shut. I let it sit about a week on a windowsill in the sun. The rice absorbed the rest of the water. After I took it out of the bag I let it sit for a day, then I plugged it in ... it worked again. That was many years ago though, and I don't know if today's keyboards can handle a dunking in water.

Another option is to take the whole thing apart, and use a spray 'contact cleaner', electronics supply store should have it... denatured alcohol is another option.

My suggestion is to take it apart, remove the electronics - there's usually a small circuit board - and clean the rest. Hand wash with detergent or put in the dishwasher on a cool cycle but don't let the dishwasher dry! Then let the parts dry on a towel for a few days before reassembly. The dishwasher method is what I did for mine when it got too dirty.

This only applies to membrane type keyboards. Don't wash mechanical switches in water!

Disassembly, water (preferably distilled) with some little detergent, a big bucket, a one hour bath, let it dry over night (or 2 if you soaked the electronics too). If the electronics didn't get damaged then that's all it takes to fix it. If it doesn't come to life after that then you better start looking for something else.

PD: If you are unsure if you can remove the electronics without breaking them, just leave them there, nothing bad *should* happen to them.

EDIT: BTW, cantab, you can wash your mechanicals. It's what I do to one of mine that is in a very dusty place and once in a while you just have to wash it because half the keys don't work anymore. :D Not the best thing to do, I agree, but still doable.

Edited by Rosco P. Coltrane

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.