Kerbin Geographic And Science Society

togfox

Name: Borgnine Beach

Equator, Kerbin

Latitude: 11 25\' 0' S

Longitude: 169 54\' 40' E

Altitude: 0 - sea level

Comments: Beach on north side of peninsula

Directions: Fly heading ~080 degrees from KSP, orbit at 80km and de-orbit on target.

Aw look! I was a furst choice! I\'m honoured!

Actually, I used to be opposed to all the 'Name this' threads, but mostly because they were unorganized pits of lameness.

With the KGS on my resumé I might just finish my map viewer.

I\'m confident the KGS, with the honest lets-try-not-to-screw-this-up-this-time attitude of the KSP forum community can succeed where all others have failed.

The rules are good. The problem I see is having everyone scramble to name features. Of course the largest ones will fall first and it\'s going to be a stampede and it\'s probably going to contain quite a few silly names. It\'s unlikely the community would leave it to a few chosen to select a name for prominent features 'they' discovered, so, what shall we do?

Democracy is far from perfect, but perhaps before any map becomes 'Official' (in the totally unofficial sense), we have a collation period, where images are taken, etc, as per the OP, results tracked and identical features\' names can then be voted upon via poll if two people wish to name the same area.

Also, do you actually realise the scale of the project?

Name: Decided by poll

Nominated names: Nebuchadnezzar Plateau, Humbug Pinnacle

Latitude: 30 24\' 15\'\' N

Longitude: 43 5\' 24\'\' W

Altitude: 2786m

Celestial body: Kerbin

screenshot19lx.png

screenshot20f.png
Edited by Rich

It is also Morpheus\' ship from the Matrix, which is where I personally learnt the name from.

Oh lol.

Yeah, he wasn\'t exactly the nicest person. He was king of the Syrians in the time of the first Temple, and gouged out Israel\'s kings eyes before killing his sons before him. I can see why he might be in that kind of thing.

Oh lol.

Yeah, he wasn\'t exactly the nicest person. He was king of the Syrians in the time of the first Temple, and gouged out Israel\'s kings eyes before killing his sons before him. I can see why he might be in that kind of thing.

Certainly makes the back story easy:

The Nebuchadnezzar plateau, first discovered by Billy-Bobble Kerman in the year of the Mun, is an unforgiving place. It is rumoured to be so cold, it causes your eyeballs to freeze.

...the 'Nebuchadnezzar Plateau'...

Sorry to be the wet blanket, but... it doesn\'t look like a plateau. It\'s not flat, but jaggedy with peaks and a valley. Also, folks on Kerbin wouldn\'t know who Nebuchadnezzar was, even though it does sound cool. Perhaps something more 'in character', like The Fescue Range. If you say it with a flourish, it kinda works. Eh?

You\'re right, the Nebudchan... nebbukanedz... that name wouldn\'t be known to them.

However, the Kerbals are very familiar with Nebbykunidzer, a famous nit-picking spoilsport from their ancient history.

Rich - not suggesting you change your suggestion - just poking a bit of fun at Zephram. Change it in honor of his nitpick if you like. I\'m not sure if the plateau is big enough to require a naming poll, but if it is, I submit the name above as a second poll option.

Sorry to be the wet blanket, but... it doesn\'t look like a plateau. It\'s not flat, but jaggedy with peaks and a valley. Also, folks on Kerbin wouldn\'t know who Nebuchadnezzar was, even though it does sound cool. Perhaps something more 'in character', like The Fescue Range. If you say it with a flourish, it kinda works. Eh?

I understand what you are saying; Earth based pronouns are inherently Earth specific. If a name is taken from an existing language it must be something a Kerbal can relate to such as 'fear', or 'booster'.

That sounds like a good name for a feature. The Humbug Pinnacle. :)

I approve of this name.

I will try again on another feature at some point, this conversation has rekindled my naming direction.

I\'m processing these one at a time but I\'m happy for others to help out. :) Send me a private forum message if you enjoy exploring as much as I do.

I\'d like to claim a region if I may. There is a large crater near the north pole on the Mun. I\'ve established a mining base there as I suspect there are large deposits of Kebalimum left by a crater impact.

I\'d like to call this North Pit. My establishment will be North Pit Alpha. As this is a large region, this will have to go to a pole.

Mun: northern hemisphere

69 6\' 24' N (69.107)

112 23\' 45' W (-112.396)

Kerbalimum mining colony

Name: to be decided by poll

Nominated names: Shoeshore Archipelago

Latitude: 5 38\' 41\'\' N

Longitude: 62 15\' 38\'\' W

Altitude: 25m

Celestial body: Kerbin

screenshot23f.png

screenshot22rp.png
Edited by Rich

Just officially announcing that Zephram and rich may be posting \'official\' stuff in this thread. Pretty soon I think we\'ll need our own subforum - unless Mods don\'t mind us cluttering the general discussion thread with our geekiness!. :P

It has been decided to generate a persistence file with name markers, so far it has the KSC and the first feature Mt. Vildan. More will be added as they are decided, and the persistence file will be made available.

screenshot25p.png

That said, if you could post your persistence file along with name submissions, that would be a great help.

Edited by Rich

A couple of things about that:

First, should we try to edit the persistence files down to just the one craft and change the name of the craft to the location name, or just leave that to the merged file maintainer? I\'ve yet to bother with editing a persistence file.

Second, for the already submitted place names, should we edit those older posts to include the persistence file, or make a new one? Whichever would be easier for adding them to the merged file.

Here\'s one. I call it, 'Mt. Craw.'

I think this can be classified as a small feature, therefore I can add it right away. I will however need the {N,S} {W,E} portion of the position, or the persistence file.

I think this can be classified as a small feature, therefore I can add it right away. I will however need the {N,S} {W,E} portion of the position, or the persistence file.

Sure. I deleted it, but it\'s still in the recycling bin. I dig it out.

I can\'t locate it... What are the N,S and W,E anyway?

Short story is, we need more information. All long/lat co-ordinates have a N/E/W/S component to it, on earth, Kerbin, Mun, and moon. North/South indicates your feature is above/below the Mun equator. East/West tells us to turn left or right. ???

Without this information your feature could be in one of four possible locations hundreds of miles apart and your screenshot won\'t be enough for us to work out which it is. If you can provide a screenshot from orbit that would be useful as well.

When you land on the site, the map mode offers the N/S/E/W portion of the longitude/latitude co-ordinates.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.