10 Fuel Challenge

dec159

10 Fuel Distance Challenge!

Welcome to the 10 fuel challenge. Brought to you by Hunter-Ariel Industries.

To compete in the challenge you must build a stock plane, having a maximum liquid fuel capacity of 10 units. You must fly your plane till it runs out of fuel (and land it... If you want.)

Submit a screenshot of your F3 screen making sure you have the resources tab open. If you want to, submit a .craft file for download aswell.

There are three categories to compete in. NCS (No Control Surface), Open and Modded.

Leaderboard

NCS:

1: GoSlash27: 4,335,756 m (10 Days Time!!!)

2: Bob_Saget54: 2,359,288 m (4:23.07 Time)

3: Batz_10K: 1,128,406 m (0:33.54 Time)

4: Tarantulae: 376,847 m (0:36.40 Time)

Open:

1: Bowfonz: 761,745 m (1:03.08 Time)

1: Me: 508,117 m (1:11.11 Time)

2: Foxter: 157,917 m (0:6.24 Time)

Modded:

(All times are Hour:Minute.Second)

2Su8M86.png

My distance was: 142,237 m.

Download

Have fun guys!

Edited by dec159
Updating the Scoreboards, Hopefully I haven't forgotten anyone!

Non-cheating crafts with infinite distance capability would be:

1) electric helicopter (I could not build one but people have)

2) light weight glider that can lift off at rover speeds glide for a distance land and then get more speed from electric wheels.

this would have to have 0 control surfaces to make sure it was not making use of the infiniglide bug.

10 all together I think. Otherwise it would be too easy.

- - - Updated - - -

No. 1 would need a mod right? How do you make a stock helicopter? No. 2 makes sense though. I wish that everyone did not have to search for all the loopholes though.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't have to do it. If you don't infiniglide then there is an actual challenge to it.

1) no there are stock helicopter, its 2 crafts, well one that been staged, you use wheels to hold the 2 parts together then spin one of them with more wheels:

2) sorry, you could ban taking off after landing or do a sub challenge based on how far you can go on a zero fuel Hop. I'll give this a go tonight.

Edit: or just ban powered wheels that fixes both problems.

Edited by ttnarg

No. 1 would need a mod right? How do you make a stock helicopter?

Of course, that was a year ago, but I made my own version (sans.. a lot of craziness) and the principle seems to work the same, but it might be impossible in the next update (with new aerodynamics). Or easier, who knows?

Here is my entry. Unfortunately the resources don't show the fuel, as it was damaged when i landed in the water. Almost made it westbound to the next continent though. Hopefully you will still accept as the toroidal fuel tank can only hold a maximum of 10 units fuel.

yB1YoJJ.png

Edit: Here it is pre-takeoff

H9s30VN.png

Sas and angled wings can make a sort of helicopter as well, somewhat hard to control, but would probably work for this challenge. Does the craft have to be manned?

Nope.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my entry. Unfortunately the resources don't show the fuel, as it was damaged when i landed in the water. Almost made it westbound to the next continent though. Hopefully you will still accept as the toroidal fuel tank can only hold a maximum of 10 units fuel.

-snip

All is good. Nice job! You are in front! What was your flight time?

After reading the above comments I am going to add categories to this.

- - - Updated - - -

You can see 36:41 from the splashdown. It took maybe another ~30 seconds to skip along the water to a stop.

Oh, ok

- - - Updated - - -

My 2nd Attempt

x0ujFFK.png

508,117 m for the Open Category.

Download

YY1AgBq.png

This was the most boring flight I have ever done. 1hr, 11m, 11s flight time.

How would trimming it out help if there are no control surfaces after the battery dies?

Scratchin' mah head...

Good question! I don't know :blush:

It held a nice 15* nose up after the lights went out, so either the reaction wheels still work on a dead battery or else it happened to have the CoG in a convenient spot.

Best,

-Slashy

Scratchin' mah head...

Good question! I don't know :blush:

It held a nice 15* nose up after the lights went out, so either the reaction wheels still work on a dead battery or else it happened to have the CoG in a convenient spot.

Best,

-Slashy

Well, its one thing to point the nose in a direction that it can hold in a glide such as somewhat noseup. If your CoG/CoL is dynamically stable then it should hold it. If you were in a dive or something when power died, then you'd hold in the dive. If your CoG/CoL is unstable, it'll slowly oscillate until it dives and rip itself apart.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.