10 Fuel Challenge

dec159

New entry for NCS class. I hope it's legal, 'cuz I ditched the dead weight when I was done with it.

http://s52.photobucket.com/user/GoSlash27/slideshow/KSP/TengliderII

tengliderII7_zpsnsuqdwfa.jpg

http://wikisend.com/download/947334/TengliderII.craft

As you can see, I was still over 10km altitude when the juice went out, so I was in a position to go a whole lot farther...

Best,

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

Well, its one thing to point the nose in a direction that it can hold in a glide such as somewhat noseup. If your CoG/CoL is dynamically stable then it should hold it. If you were in a dive or something when power died, then you'd hold in the dive. If your CoG/CoL is unstable, it'll slowly oscillate until it dives and rip itself apart.

After today's flight, I think I was just lucky. It was dynamically stable at 15* nose up. I hadn't designed or tested it for that, it just happened to be right.

I had a similar situation tonight, and I trimmed it out before the battery died. This time, it didn't make any difference. It crashed and burned as soon as the battery went flat.

Best,

-Slashy

Here's my entry for the 10 fuel challenge in the NCS division

1128km (not quite enough to take the title, but I think I've got the altitude record :cool: )

Excellent work! I think you'll have that altitude record for a long while and that's an amazing distance for an intact glider.

I wonder if it's possible to ditch the wings completely and shoot for a 70 km apoapsis? You might be able to nearly circumnavigate Kerbin...

Best,

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

Rebalanced the glider, added some panels, and had another go.

tengliderIIa1_zpsq9jigetj.jpg

I shot myself in the foot this time; I dumped 10km altitude on the first day at sunset because I wasn't confident of the glider's ability to continue without power.

I needn't have worried. It glides just fine.

This means I have to run it one more time, but first I want to try Batz-10K's method. I think he's onto something better.

Best,

-Slashy

Excellent work! I think you'll have that altitude record for a long while and that's an amazing distance for an intact glider.

I wonder if it's possible to ditch the wings completely and shoot for a 70 km apoapsis? You might be able to nearly circumnavigate Kerbin...

Best,

-Slashy

It might be possible, I was having a bit of trouble maintaining the proper ascent profile without control surfaces, but you can easily make it to space. With some oxidizer and a rapier it might also be possible to make orbit.... I managed to make 164km apoapsis on one of my test flights..but that one didn't go far.

Here's the .craft file http://1drv.ms/17GL6qf [OneDrive]

Here's mine:

NDy3U0K

Not sure if this image thing is working, so here's a link

I just crossed the ocean straight off the runway.

I landed on that piece of land that juts out when you first reach the other side.

I could've gone further but even at 4x speed it is super boring once the fuel runs out.

Not sure where this will fall in the rankings, but a fun challenge none the less.

If anyone is interested in the craft file, let me know.

Thanks

Alright, here is my entry:

44kbOCx.png

Anyways, i didn't know if there were any rules or restrictions on the size of the plane, so I just went with a standard glider. It would have flown much longer but I was really freaking bored because it was flying for 4.5 Kerbal hours.

Edited by Bob_Saget54

Alright, here is my entry:

http://i.imgur.com/44kbOCx.png

Anyways, i didn't know if there were any rules or restrictions on the size of the plane, so I just went with a standard glider. It would have flown much longer but I was really freaking bored because it was flying for 4.5 Kerbal hours.

Wow, you think that's boring, wait'll you get a load of my last flight!

It's still in progress...

Holy cow mate!!!!!!!! That is a looong way!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Here's mine:

http://imgur.com/NDy3U0K

Not sure if this image thing is working, so here's a link

I just crossed the ocean straight off the runway.

I landed on that piece of land that juts out when you first reach the other side.

I could've gone further but even at 4x speed it is super boring once the fuel runs out.

Not sure where this will fall in the rankings, but a fun challenge none the less.

If anyone is interested in the craft file, let me know.

Thanks

Did you have control surfaces? I can't really tell from the pic.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.