[Stock][14.4]The Crazy SRB Ship aka Honeycomb II

So I posted in the general forum earlier with a question about exploding command pods, and when I mentioned I was going around 2.2km/s by 30km from launch, some people seemed to be interested in the design. It seems to me, from glancing around the kerbal forums, few people are as heavily invested into SRB research as I am.. maybe because people already decided they\'re not worth looking at anymore? Personally, I have a great deal of fun trying to push them to compete with the liquid engine designs (as impossible as that it is for long distance travel). I\'m even considering trying to make it to the moon with SRBs! But that\'s far from now, for now I\'m just tinkering with how to cram a lot of them in a small space effectively. There\'s a few techniques that I had to come up with to overcome overheating and drastic shifts in speed, as well as weight limits (I\'ll leave you to figure those out from the craft file or on your own if you\'re interested at all). There\'s a few more things I want to try, and then I\'ll move onto Honeycomb III, which basically will be made from scratch with what I\'ve learned in mind.

Well, either way I\'ve decided to share the fruits of my SRB experiments:

the Honeycomb II

honeycombiiside.jpg

honeycombiitop.jpg

Some stats about the Honeycomb II:

It caps out at around 3km/s @ ~56km depending on how well you can time the first to second stage transition. The time says 1mins, 20 Secs, but that\'s after I floated around a bit.. it\'s probably closer to 1 minute. Is it a bug that my Gee Force was 23.7G? That seems pretty high, or is that not all that much?

honeycombiireport1.jpg

honeycombiireport2.jpg

Attached is the Honeycomb II craft file, I warn you now that if you have a slow computer: this is not the craft file you were looking for. My computer is pretty good though it\'s starting to get dated, but I can still run games like Starcraft at Ultra high settings with clear framerates; even so, I get maybe 3 fps during the first stage of Honeycomb II.

On a side note: will Kerbal ever come with a 'don\'t show particles' option? I\'m guessing rendering all the particles this thing makes, along with all the shadows on the parts, really kills the frame rates.

The only words I can describe this with will get me banned from the forums, permanently.

So let me just say: You sir, are a Kerman!

Thank you, thank you.

NOT ENOUGH BOOSTERS.

Seriously though. Nice death trap drag racer!

Actually, the truth of the matter is I really don\'t have enough boosters. It\'s really not actually a death trap, all fuel can be expended without loss of life, and the command pod has a parachute so... But it would make a pretty decent drag racer if I can say so myself.

I need to experiment with radial decouplers again, but last time I tried them they were falling off due to overheating even though they weren\'t even remotely in contact/proximity with any engines/explosions. If only there was some way to cram even more in... hmm...

One of the most awesome stock rockets I have seen.

Why thank you! Stay tuned, I have been challenged to 'first to the moon via SRBs' and intend to win.

Edit:

An update on my status, the new ship is way less laggy to look at and packs just as much punch. It\'s not done yet, but it\'s already too strong and overshoots the moon. The good thing about that is, it\'s strong enough to carve straight into the mun if I shoot it off at the right time.

Which brings me to my first attempt 8) (and my accidental planetary orbit collision :-[):

muahahahas.jpg

muncarverfirstattempten.jpg

Wondering how that happened? the mun was like a slingshot, I was close to hitting it but not close enough... Soon... soon...

Haha, max G force of 18. Oh jeez.

The Honeycomb II was getting 23 Gs, and I\'ve definitely seen 26 Gs earlier. Maybe I\'ll make a ship to test how far I can push the G force up...

If you pilot that thing right, you may easily be able to get into an orbit out of the atmosphere and into the mun\'s SOI! That thing is one beast of a rocket!

I\'m not sure if this is what you meant, but you may have jinxed me into:

willimakeit.jpg

maybeiwill.jpg

noooooooooowhyyyyymuuun.jpg

roundtwodejavu.jpg

And now we play the waiting game...

By the way, if you\'re wondering, I\'m not releasing the new design till I\'ve crashed into the mun successfully. Wouldn\'t want my friend to get any ideas, you know? At this rate, it\'s just a matter of time till I finish though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.