White Owl's video series discussion thread

White Owl

Hello! Thanks for taking an interest in the videos. It's a fun hobby, and I'm pleased that people seem to like them. :)

The video series has grown more popular than I expected, and Youtube comments are just too limiting for answering various questions. Ask them here, and there's a better chance that somebody knowledgeable about the answer will respond. Craft files will be posted upon request... although I want to point out there are many people around here who are much more skilled than I at KSP, and some of their designs would probably work better for you. Also be aware that pre-.16 craft files will not work in KSP version .16 and later.

Seriously, Youtube commenting is one of the worst mediums of communication ever. My mind is repeatedly boggled at the number of people who try to troubleshoot a complex problem via Youtube. ???

The channel is here: Slipping the Surly Bonds

LINKS TO MODS

If I missed listing a mod, please tell me so I can add it. If you're wondering which mod contains a particular part, ask.

C7 Aerospace Division

Note: Many of these parts are now included in the stock game, but not all of them. There are several very useful airplane parts only available from the mod pack.

NovaPunch Remix Pack

I like many of the different connectors in NovaPunch.

KW Rocketry

I decided to get most of my fuel tanks and rocket engines from this pack, so they'll be consistent from one vehicle to another. This is also the source of those fantastic payload fairings everybody keeps asking about.

Tiberdyne Advanced SAS

KSP Bigtrak

I like the lights from this one.

Damned Aerospace

Damned Robotics

The Node seems to have gone missing.

Katerpillar Wheels

KICOIT - Kerbal Engineer

This wonderful gadget displays the total weight and T/W ratios of different stages. I love it.

Assorted Hardware

The explosive bolts came from here.

Gaby's Quick and Dirty Miscellania

HSTW Amphibious Gear

GRUNT-45's landing pontoons are from here.

ISA RAM Satellite Mapping module and map generation tool

KAPAS - Kerbal Androgynous Peripheral Attach System

It's a docking system, sort of, before docking is officially added to the game.

Multiversal Mechatronics - Munolith Research Division

The munolith detectors.

Orbital Construction

What a fantastic idea!

The Truss Pack

Silisko Industries

Lots of great space station and mun base parts.

The original Unmanned Pod mod seems to have gone missing.

I don't actually use this exact mod, but this is where the idea came from that makes multiple pods on one vehicle possible.

[http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/12329-0-16-Multiversal-Mechatronics-Fixed-Camera-1-1]Multiversal Mechatronics- Fixed Camera

Prospector has one of these cameras mounted.

Ludodyne Airship/Balloon

Test Weights

Edited by White Owl
update to new format

kudos for linking all mods.

more kudos if you gift me ksp, my parents fail at being nice.

edit: also, I forgot to ask, where can I find your videos?

youtube? ??? I thought it was common sense.

White owl is that you?

from allegiance?

0_0!

its me shhhilent1!

I\'m going to heroically resist the nigh irresistible temptation to respond with sarcasm at this moment. NNNggh. Yeah, that was tough.

Hey Matt, I downloaded all your mod packs and I still get the error missing smallnosecone when i try to open grunt 45

Damn, I must\'ve missed linking a mod. Sorry about that. I\'ll try to figure out what happened.

Thanks for linking up all the mods! That\'ll save me a LOT of time. Where can I get the ships?

I added all craft files that I can recall people asking for to the first post. Again, I want to point out that the Spacecraft Exchange forum is chock full of designs much better than mine. I make videos okay, but there are many people around here who are better at actually playing the game, ya know?

I\'ve been enjoying the videos for some time now. Keep up them coming! Those kerbals are in for a surprise when .15 comes out :)

You are personally, directly responsible for getting me interested in this game. Thanks! 8)

When you get your hands on 0.15, are you planning on remaking your tutorials for the spaceplane hangar?

Not necessarily immediately upon .15\'s release, but I do want to remake the tutorials to reflect changes in the game, yes.

I think you should include your channel in the first post, because you use the name winterowl

That\'s a very good idea. It\'s kind of embarrassing that I missed seeing that. :-[

Hey Matt, I downloaded all your mod packs and I still get the error missing smallnosecone when i try to open grunt 45

Okay, I figured out the problem. I haven\'t updated my NovaPunch pack in some time, and Tiberion changed the names of some of the parts so they all uniformly have a 'NP' prefix. Thankfully, GRUNT-45 only uses a few NP parts, so it should be fairly easy to update the big ol\' beast. Sure, GRUNT is obsolete now, but he still deserves an honored place hanging from the ceiling of the Smithsonian, right?

I\'ll get an updated craft file up soon.

I\'m going to heroically resist the nigh irresistible temptation to respond with sarcasm at this moment. NNNggh. Yeah, that was tough.quote]

what?

what do you mean sarcasem?

Okay, I figured out the problem. I haven\'t updated my NovaPunch pack in some time, and Tiberion changed the names of some of the parts so they all uniformly have a 'NP' prefix. Thankfully, GRUNT-45 only uses a few NP parts, so it should be fairly easy to update the big ol\' beast. Sure, GRUNT is obsolete now, but he still deserves an honored place hanging from the ceiling of the Smithsonian, right?

I\'ll get an updated craft file up soon.

Sorry about that.

Good news: I should never have to break craft files again

Bad news: 0.15 update may break them all by itself. So..

Oh yeah, the evil laugh is the best part, innit? :D

Although to be perfectly honest I enjoy the Silent Hunter videos more. I think it\'s mostly because I actually play KSP myself, so watching someone else play it isn\'t as interesting. I\'ve only played SH very briefly (i.e. just long enough to accidentally put the U-boat into reverse and slam it into the rear wall of the sub pen, instantly and rather unceremoniously ending my patrol), so that\'s a lot more fun for me.

White Owl, what\'s your 'general' schedule for uploading new videos? I just finished all of chapter 1 and chapter 2 today, and am eagerly awaiting the next installment of Ch2. In fact, because of that last CH2 video, I had to pause it and try to reach one of the Munoliths today (failing miserably 4-times with tried-n-true tested rockets, though I got close!).

Wish I could do Let\'s Fly videos ... I\'ve been told that my voice sounds too much like a newscaster though, and I\'d have a 4-year old screaming in the background during the entire video capture :D

I like your videos as much as Seananner\'s, who I just recently discovered.

Very well done, sir! Can\'t wait for more!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.