SMART board remote shut off

Dominatus

A disruptive student is using a cell phone to mess with my teacher's smartboard, and access her computer through it. I need to know if there is some way to shut off outside connections to the smartboard and prevent the student from hijacking it again in the future. If anyone knows how this can be prevented short of every student surrendering their phones at the start of class please let me know so I can pass the information on to my school's tech support/ teacher.

Sounds to me like an open conection, probaly Bluetooth.

Some did a nasty tricks with Bluetooth.

Changed his phone Bluetooth id to "girl(15)" then send a file renamed to "me nudE.jpg"

This popped up so all in class could see

Since she says her email is being messed with remotely, it sounds like it is something on her computer, meaning that they are likely closing the app. At this point since you are a student, I would recommend not doing anything to the school's computer and make sure the teacher tells IT.

Yep, and she should probably stop using her computer or smart board.

Damn, when I was in school, we had chalk black boards and overhead projectors with handwritten transparencies. No messing with that.

A disruptive student is using a cell phone to mess with my teacher's smartboard, and access her computer through it. I need to know if there is some way to shut off outside connections to the smartboard and prevent the student from hijacking it again in the future. If anyone knows how this can be prevented short of every student surrendering their phones at the start of class please let me know so I can pass the information on to my school's tech support/ teacher.

First thing that needs to be done is establishing exactly how access is being gained. Presumably access to the smartboard should be password-protected. However things like this are often overlooked, or outright disabled because getting it working is often seen as more important than making it secure. I would look into whether the default password is still being used. Likewise, your teacher needs to consider how strong their password on their computer is.

Secondly, is there a wireless network in use? This seems like the most likely vector in terms of how access is being gained.

It's one of the first two options, as the teacher mentioned her email being messed with remotely.

Your teacher probably needs to change their passwords as a first step. It's entirely possible that the perp is just logging into her email account via a web console or somesuch, and not accessing her PC at all.

Bear in mind that there should be logs for these sorts of things, this should be the first port of call. Make sure you have permission from whoever you need permission from if you intend on looking into this further yourself. I have heard far too many horror stories about well-intentioned students getting the smackdown for trying to improve security in their schools. Strictly speaking this is the responsibility of your schools IT dept, not yours, and you need to be extremely wary of this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.