Bombing Run

Rich

I take limited credit for the plane design, as it was heavily influenced by another member here.

screenshot3vh.png

screenshot4mb.png

[spoiler=Missed :(]screenshot5x.png

Anyone else tried out bombing?

Version: 14.4

Parts: C7, stock

Instructions:

1. Land/parachute a craft somewhere to use as a target. I parachute command modules down, since Kerbals are cheaper than real targets.

2. Launch the plane, .craft file attached.

3. Fly to target, flies like a truck with the bombs on, treat it as such.

4. Press 'G' to 'arm' the bombs, this just extends the lander legs for visual effect. Also the lander legs do explode, adding to the power.

5. When close to the target, press the 'space bar' to release.

6. Swivel the camera to watch the bang.

7. Enjoy flying the plane now the bombs are gone.

Notes:

This plane has an ASAS module, so make use of it.

Edited by Rich

Step 1: Select the tiny, half-meter Prodobobodyne command module.

Step 2: Put a half-meter SRB underneath it.

Step 3: Attach wings.

Step 4: ???

Step 5: Profit

I\'ve hit targets 10km out with a simple half-meter design, using the Mini Booster from Nova\'s pack; the larger ones from Down Under have allowed me to land within 50 meters of a target 40km out.

As far as hitting a target with bombs goes, that\'s a rather difficult one all right.

Tried it many a time. Only had hits a few times, and they were on the Launch Tower because it has a purple attitude indicator on the navball. Level bombing is a real pain and doing it ingame gives me an appreciation for how accurately the real air forces did it before computers. I usually dive-bomb, but that has its own dangers because pulling up in the lagspike for loading up the craft you\'re bombing can cause backflips or no response at all.

Modified original post with instructions and .craft file. If anyone recognises the base design, please let me know so I can credit them.

Screenshot of the new lander leg bombs.

screenshot18mq.png
Edited by Rich