How fast can you make a ship go?

How fast can you fly a ship IN ORBIT!

Rules:

-The ship must be stock

-Can not use mechjeb or hyper edit or anything like that.

-Must be in a orbit in kerbin's solar system

-Can't use the debug menu

-Must have proof! ( video or screen shots )

Every thing else is allowed.

Have fun!

Edited by Jaffa Cookie
spelt it wrong! XD

-Must be in a orbit in kerbin's solar system

i need clarification on this.

Do you mean it must remain within Kerbin's orbit or the solar system's orbit (aka the sun)?

Must have prof

but i don't have any professors....oh wait,you must have meant proof. =P

It should not be too hard to calculate the highest possible orbital velocity.

Ap just under 84.159.286m in order to stay within Kerbins SOI and Pe just over 69.077m to stay above the atmosphere. Highest velocity will be achieved at Pe. Anything faster will either leave Kerbins Soi or enter the atmosphere.

It should not be too hard to calculate the highest possible orbital velocity.

Ap just under 84.159.286m in order to stay within Kerbins SOI and Pe just over 69.077m to stay above the atmosphere. Highest velocity will be achieved at Pe. Anything faster will either leave Kerbins Soi or enter the atmosphere.

Ahh, but you can actually exceed an escape velocity while remaining in "orbit" so long as you burn radial in. You won't be thrown out of orbit until the fuel runs out...

Jaffa Cookie,

Does the ship need to be in a stable orbit at the end of the exercise?

Best,

-Slashy

i need clarification on this.

Do you mean it must remain within Kerbin's orbit or the solar system's orbit (aka the sun)?

but i don't have any professors....oh wait,you must have meant proof. =P

I'm a bit confused too, I think the term "Kerbin's solar system" is the source of that.

I launched a vehicle towards Kerbol, intending to get in close it it for maximum speed, but I'm now thinking that the intention was to keep the ships in the challenge within Kerbin's SOI.

So a clarification would be great. :D

Ahh, but you can actually exceed an escape velocity while remaining in "orbit" so long as you burn radial in. You won't be thrown out of orbit until the fuel runs out...

Jaffa Cookie,

Does the ship need to be in a stable orbit at the end of the exercise?

Best,

-Slashy

When you say stable you mean it's not going to crash? Then yes (Be in the orbit for several times without crashing) or if you mean it's not perfectly circular or it's more of a line then no.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a bit confused too, I think the term "Kerbin's solar system" is the source of that.

I launched a vehicle towards Kerbol, intending to get in close it it for maximum speed, but I'm now thinking that the intention was to keep the ships in the challenge within Kerbin's SOI.

So a clarification would be great. :D

To all who were confused with the wording what i meant is it can orbit jool, sun, mum, kerbin and so on. Basicly anything that is in the same solar system so that everyones ship is in the same solar system - sorry for the confusion and even more so if i've only made your understanding worse. i probably should have worded it differently. As long as.... never mind

Simply READ THIS BIT AND FORGET THE REST IF YOU DIDN'T UNDERSTAND!

I can be in a orbit in any SOI you can use any natural satellite for gravity assisted sling shots (or what ever you like to call it) as long as it doesn't escape the sun's SOI. Reason for this rule is mods.

Edited by Jaffa Cookie

Just so you know, it's impossible to escape the sun's orbit in this game, so even if you go a gazillion m/s in any direction, you'll always be orbiting the same solar system. =)

technically no. At some point you will reach escape velocity and the game does not show a retrurning blue line. At that point you are not in orbit any more.

Well here is my first attempt. Note that in the image I have an Ap and an orbital period so I remain in orbit. I think I can do better.

fxkTr54.png

My speed was 90624.5mm/s and I had an orbital period of 996 years

Hi all

I have an entry to this challenge with a max speed of 94667m/s

This was achieved with an orbit that got as close as 1500m to the sun surface, although by time I took the snapshot at the end of my burn to push out my apoapsis I was already out to 18,320m (28,103 by the time I took the map screen shot).

Apoapsis was 9,796,663,571,820m.

Based on an earlier test I did, 1320m seems to be the minimum altitude before the sun eats your ship, plus my apoapsis was not absolutely maxed out, so there is room for improvement.

Here's the pics.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

- - - Updated - - -

Just noticed that John FX was using the surface not orbital speed, so I've quickly (I had a save just before my apoapsis burn) redone my pass close to the sun and took new screenshots. Will update my entry details shortly.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok... here's my revised entry details... max speed (surface) of 90877.7m/s

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Just so you know, it's impossible to escape the sun's orbit in this game, so even if you go a gazillion m/s in any direction, you'll always be orbiting the same solar system. =)

as said below by John FX you can go on a escape velocity of the sun escape the solar system even without the the debug menu it's very easy to do so, i've done it many times whilst being gravity assisted by jool and several other planets.

- - - Updated - - -

I said i must be in a orbit and not crash during the orbit, and by the looks of things your obit b doesn't have a preprapisis.

And i'm also going to make my own entry for the sake of making one!

Edited by Jaffa Cookie

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.