[Project, WIN ONLY] Mod Manager

The AlphaBeta Mod Manager for KSP will provide a new interface for packaging and installing addons. Potentially it will allow there to be a \'general format\' that all addons can use.

This project is still in development and any suggestions should be mentioned here in comments (or PM me. Your choice.)

03/07/2012

This project is back in the development stage again! I have found some new stuffs and so I\'m going to use Zlib compression for this project. Basically give me a week or two and I should have a mod-makers release with some testing features.

Currently I am just creating a simple GUI for mod makers to use to pack their mods, but eventually I\'ll get some screenshots up and we\'ll see some progress. The basic idea is that you\'ll no longer need to copy-paste everything into and out of the mods folder, or make sure that you have a plugin installed as the manager will handle all of this before starting KSP (this should be launched first so that mods can be configured.) Currently the method of packing mods does not preserve the file system, so I\'ve decided to use a .ZIP format instead and encrypt it so that it can\'t be modified.

Another feature that could be possible is automatic updating. For users that use Dropbox to host their addons, I can get a download from it of the file requested. Possibly this would be a version file that would be used simply to check the version, then, if the addon is outdated, the user can update to the new one. The existing information would be deleted and the new version put in it\'s place.

Let me know what you guys think, otherwise I\'ll discontinue my current work. This page will be updated when I remember. If I remember. Sometime.

Encrypted .zip whould mean that people who don\'t use your mod whould not be able to install the mods, right?

And maybe go together with the xenolith mod database to allow auto-updating of the mods yoz subsceibed...

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thank you for working on this. I was surprised there wasn\'t one considering the awesome MODing community KSP seams to already have. Just bookmarked this one.

For the record, you can use the Generic Mod Enabler program listed in my sticky on the How To forum to perform some management of your installed mods.

Cheers!

Capt\'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

• 1 month later...

Hello, just a friendly question. If I may.

What language you using to code in, and possible in what program?

Just curious to see what other people use.

I myself program in VB.Net using Visual Studio 2010.

May I assume you\'ll use the .Net Framework too?

• 2 weeks later...

THIS THREAD IS NOW AWAITING A REWRITE! I am now working in VB.net as seems standard at this point and collaborating with Norway174. Mod packs that are compatible with Norway\'s mod pack will also be compatible with mine. We\'re trying to be as universal as possible so really it will just be about the look.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.