GreenPower Electric Challenge ITS BACK!!!!

Ghostbuzzer,

We're going to need a definition of "infinigliding", since any inclusion of control surfaces will cause some infinigliding effects.

In the meantime, I'll knock an entry together and hope it's acceptable.

Best,

-Slashy

http://s52.photobucket.com/user/GoSlash27/slideshow/KSP/Foeton1

I figured I'd start with a single engine entry. No reaction wheels and as little control surface as possible. I also ran with fine controls to minimize any infinigliding.

No reaction wheels: 5 points

Max speed 46.1: 45 points

Mass: 1.82: 11 points

Time: 13:17 : 26 points

Xenon Master: 3 points

Green Power Elite: 10 points

Total: 100 points

Best,

-Slashy

I simply couldn't resist building this as my first ion-powered craft ever. KerbalX link ( This is the 1000th craft on KerbalX! )

Javascript is disabled. View full album

No infiniglide: No control surfaces at all for aesthetic reasons.

No reaction wheels: +5 unless the command pod counts?

Maximum Speed: +60

Mass: +6

Time: +35

Xeon Master: +3

Aesthetics Master: +0-2 depending on judge's decision

Total score: 104 - 111 pending judgement.

Edited by Torquimedes

Today's objective was to see what I could accomplish using a single xenon tank.

Presenting the Foeton Salamander!

Salamander1_zps3vjqmln2.jpg

http://s52.photobucket.com/user/GoSlash27/slideshow/KSP/Foeton1/Salamander

Fully amphibious, tops out at over 70 m/sec and runs a respectable ET of 9:08.

As before, I ran it with minimal control surfaces, reaction wheel disabled, and fine control mode.

Points tally up to 142, plus any cool points you care to award.

Download link here

Best,

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

I present MinIon, the first flying, greenpower Unicycle.

Tried to do it without the added reaction wheel, but coudn't keep it upright.

Scoring:

Speed 59.3m/s = 55 points

Time 13:33 = 25 points

Mass 1.7t = 13 points

Xenon master: 3 points

Greenpower Elite: 10 points

+anything you want to award for the Unicycle achievement.

Total: 106 points

If you swapped out those batteries for Z-100s or Z-400s you would save a lot of mass. Same with the solar array and using OX-Stats instead. Unless you have an objection to using massless parts, some people do.

I used the larger parts with the intention of keeping my parts count down, since I am still used to flying using the power of potato batteries.

Also I was under the impression that there are no truely massless or dragless parts anymore, but perhaps that hasn't quite yet been fixed. I've been out of the loop for a good long while after all.

So tonight I'll make a few changes and see if I can do better. But that trick with the gigantor is really convenient for people using a lot of engines, since as long as you retract it before making sudden moves you can have a ton of power supply in a compact space.

Oh, there are massless parts alright. And drag is a function of mass in stock. :) And the whole point of the many engines is to have a high TWR, which you don't want to go spoiling with the huge&heavy solar panels.

I've built another contraption, presenting the Iongren (download link), from Abstract Aerodynamics: 20% less parts, 60% less wacky, 240% more stable, 5% faster, 0% better piloting. It uses the inline cockpit though (which some entrants have successfully used before), which has slightly better stats.

It's now established I cannot properly land things, though I managed to properly set down on the runway with this one, and then simply ran out of braking space.

I did manage to come to a complete stop in the same ditch as my previous aircraft and conclude with the exploding within 06:46 from launch, though.

No SAS [5], Max speed at level flight a bit over 125 m/s [125], time 6:46 [52], total 182.

Also it is barely capable of producing 5G (in a dive from 2km height), not sure if that counts for the stunt award [2].

Flight photos:

Edited by juzeris

I have just made a plane with 29 Ion engines and over 9000 solar panels (I didn't count them). It put a wheel on the island runway in 6 minutes 38 seconds. I will not submit it as I cannot get the bloody thing to stop without 10 sepratrons to act as brakes to make it stop.

In any case. I shall attempt to land Juzeris's latest plane. He can build great planes and I can land them. It seems that the reverse is not true :)

Watch this space.

Here's my 2 cents. I used a flag as an indicator of where to fly to. :rolleyes:

My Ion Plane, called Ikaruga after my favorite game as a kid, made it in just over 9 minutes on 3 ion engines. Notice the 2 Z-400's on the bottom. My plane had in issue with getting light on the panels while pulling up, so they provided a little bit of juice while the light was not getting on the panels

2015_04_15_00001.jpg

^ The Ikaruga under construction.

2015_04_14_00001.jpg

^Here she is, the mighty Ikaruga, waiting to take off. I was waiting a little for the sun to rise a little to get more light on the panels.

2015_04_14_00005.jpg

^And here we are, taking off. I needed to line up the flag to get the shortest possible distance (Well, a few degrees to the right so I had time to correct my landing.)

2015_04_14_00006.jpg

^ Well, um.. Will this one crash into VAB? Please don't!

2015_04_14_00007.jpg

^ That was a close one!

2015_04_14_00009.jpg

^ Another shot of Ikaruga in flight. She's not doing too badly for speed, considering the fact she only has 6N of force! I got rid of the waypoint after correcting my heading.

2015_04_14_00010.jpg

^ 6 Km to go. "The seatbelt sign has been switched on. All passengers return to your seats and fasten your seatbelts. Cabin crew prepare for landing."

2015_04_14_00011.jpg

^ Overshot a little, nah I'm sure I can fix it on approach.

2015_04_14_00012.jpg

^ HIT THE BBBRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKEEESSSSSS!!!!!!

2015_04_14_00013.jpg

^ "Welcome to the Old Airfield. Thank you for choosing Kerbal Air."

2015_04_14_00014.jpg

^ Final max stats.

No reaction wheels: +5

Top speed 77m/s: +75

Mass of : +0 :(

Time of 9:04 rounded up to 9:15: +43

Xeon Master (745 Xenon used): +3

Total Points: 5+75+0+43+3 =126

Simple sailglider design. Not much to add.

abrk5f7j.jpg

Time: 8:55

db4dtmgn.jpg

Speed: 68.7 m/s

vub8wn54.jpg

Landing wasn't glorious, first try. Did this whole thing in 30 mins :)

No reaction wheels

Taildragger, only two landing gears

Weight: 2.7 tons

Though my (Squad's? I don't know. It's the same model and a modified texture) ROUND-9 tank is allowed, I'm not sure it is balanced. I would not recommend its use.

Separate the entries, at the very least. I literally just eyeballed the amount of fuel it should have.

Is tweak scale and/or FAR allowed? FAR will remove any problems with infiglide.

I know it says stock only but FAR and tweak scale are pretty balanced IMO.

Sam

Edited by sam.johnson841
Added reasoning behind ignoring the stock only part

Sam Johnson,

FAR would definitely break the challenge, at least from the perspective of competition with stock entries. ion gliders operating in FAR have lower drag.

Ghostbuzzer,

Since the round-8 has been granted a reprieve, I won't bother continuing and documenting my "protest flight" using Starwhip's tank. Thanks to both of you for helping to save the round-8!

Best,

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.