Driving me up the wall!

I hope that this challenge will test all the main KSP skills: construction, driving/flying skill and explosions.

THE GOAL: Drive up the side of the Vehicle Assembly Building! :confused:

Rules:

1. Your craft must have 1 Kerbonaut on board, either in a cockpit or in a command seat.
  2. STOCK PARTS ONLY.
  3. No MechJeb (you can have it installed but you must promise not to use it's flight assistance, however using it's altimeter and other readings is permitted.)
  4. No wings of any kind.
  5. No aerodynamic control surfaces of any kind.
  6. No RCS.
  7. No decouplers may be fired once the vehicle leaves the runway or the launchpad. (They may be necessary right at the start of the mission to allow command seats to be used).
  8. Parachutes are allowed.
  9. No Cheats, no Debug Menu.

To qualify, all you need to do is show a screenshot of your craft driving over to the VAB, and then driving up the wall until all of your craft has left the ground and your craft is in full contact with the VAB's wall. You can choose any wall you like. You must not destroy any buildings during your mission, and all buildings must be fully intact at the start of your mission.

Achievements for BONUS POINTS...

• Evel Kneivel -- Your craft has no more than 2 wheels. 50 POINTS
  • Happy Camper -- half way up the VAB wall - stop, get your pilot to go EVA and take a selfie while the vehicle remains stable for 5 seconds! (Take one screenshot when he goes EVA and another 5 seconds later). 200 POINTS
  • Kerbal King of the Castle -- end up with your craft on top of the VAB (smouldering wreckage is acceptable). 40 POINTS
  • Kerbal Prince of the Castle -- end up with your craft on top of the Space Plane Hanger (smouldering wreckage is acceptable). 5 POINTS
  • Royal Flush -- Achieve both the above Prince and King achievements in the SAME mission in any order. 20 POINTS
  • Burnin' Bridges -- Park your craft on top of the bridge in the "Research and Development" facility at KSC. 10 POINTS
  • BIG RIG -- your craft has eight (8) RoveMax Model S2 wheels on it. 200 POINTS <<<< NEW BONUS

I've got a simple craft that will drive up the VAB so I deem this Challenge entirely possible. It can be done with very few parts.

Interestingly, wheels will steer effectively and brake effectively on the side of a building, if you can provide a means to press your craft against the building.

ADVANCED CLASS:

• There are NO RULES for Advanced Class :) Do something cool with space tape and moar boosters. Use any mods you like, any parts you like. Craft in this category are not eligible for the main Challenge. You may still claim points as defined above though.

Other than that, just have fun with racing up vertical surfaces.

LEADERBOARD

1. Me (Happy Camper, KKoTC, BIG RIG) 440 points link: http://imgur.com/a/hqNEp
  2. Juzeris (325 points) link (Seriously!?! Now I have to add some more achievements)
  3. Me (Happy Camper + KKotC = 240 points) Link: http://imgur.com/a/rJJjz
  4. ...
  5. ....
  6. .....

Edited by wossname

Updated the rules right as I'm uploading the images? Which part changed? Cannot find any changes. Aaaaahhh.

Well, one of the staff at our KSC said they are "okay with a bike", and were "kinda almost willing" to test out a rocket bike. So the engineers came up with some blueprints, intentionally omitting a bottom booster, so it wouldn't be just boring hovering.

I'm fairly sure she managed all of the achievements, unless you just added some. :cool:

I also did use MechJeb but only the information parts (altitude above surface!).

Also I broke the "no decouplers" rule, but I don't think I broke the spirit of that rule.

Here are the results of the test drive:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.