Big big big big big big trouble

Here's the problem:

I *may* have ruined my copy of KSP. Kinda.

How:

I wanted to see if I could change the docking port so it would connect farther than usual. I opened the MU file of it, but didn't uncheck the box "always open this file this way."

It now always does this & won't load the docking port. Not even ships with them.

If you know how to fix it, please help me. :)

Edited by AlextheBodacious

BACK UP YOUR SAVE!

Protect your progress from the mighty patcher.

The patcher doesn't do anything to saves. It simply redownloads the base game and replaces core files. If there isn't a file to replace the patcher leaves it alone.

ok, easy fix. Delete the affected file (Why you're opening the .mu is beyond me, that's a 3d file, what you want is the .cfg) and run the patcher.

I first wanted to see the model, but the picture viewer said it was uncompatable, thusly opening it with notepad.

Thanks anyway, I'll see if it works.

I don't think the Patcher will work - if I'm understanding OP correctly, the file is still a .mu and uncorrupted, the Patcher won't change anything.

What I think OP wants is for Notepad or whatever to stop being able to open .mu files. If so, there's a workaround I found on Google (assuming Windows 8.1 here, but earlier Windows could work similarly):

Create any file anywhere, I just made a .txt on desktop. Rename it to something.exe. Now right click on any file of the extension whose association you want to remove, go to Properties. Click the Change... button in the "Opens With" option. It will show the current program and there will be "More Options" link, click it. A list will come up, click the "Look for another app on PC" link at bottom. Browse to your something.exe and associate the extension with it. Hit Apply and OK. Now just go delete that something.exe you created and now your extension has no associated application.

1. Press Win + R

2. type in regedt32

3. The Registry editor will open

4. In the left part navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mu <--- note the period before mu

5. If the default value for this key is 'mu_auto_file' - delete the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mu

6. Delete the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mu_auto_file

1. Press Win + R

2. type in regedt32

3. The Registry editor will open

4. In the left part navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mu <--- note the period before mu

5. If the default value for this key is 'mu_auto_file' - delete the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mu

6. Delete the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mu_auto_file

Do not change the registry. If your likely to press and delete the wrong things... :o

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.