How to dock with other spacecrafts in orbit?

On a 90 degree orbit:

1. Target docking port faces North (red line on nav ball) (make sure you click on "control from here" on the docking port to line it up correctly)

2. Controlled port faces South (180 degrees) (make sure you "control from here" on the docking port again)

3. Kill relative velocity to target.

4. Burn towards target

5. Activate chase cam, position vantage point directly behind controlled port (so you can see the engines)

6. Use RCS keys H, N, I, J, K, L to reposition as needed.

7. GO SLOW!

8. ???

9. Profit!

I also did a sort of "tutorial" kind of on Docking during my last KSP stream that I did. Check my signature for the link if you wish.

----EDIT----

The reason you want the ports facing north and south (on a 90 degree orbit) is because as the two crafts orbit the planet, the locations of the docking ports will "drift" otherwise. Having the ports aligned North and South means they wont "drift" and will be in the same location no matter where at in the orbit they are.

Not having the ports aligned this way makes docking about 300 times harder because you're constantly making not only course corrections, but alignment corrections too. On two crafts. At the same time.

So do yourself a favor and line those puppies up!

Edited by Greenfire32

What helped me the most was realizing that the prograde marker when in target mode could more accurately be described as a velocity indicator.

1) After getting and executing an intercept of a few Km's you should kill any velocity differential - thrust retrograde on the navball.

2) Align to the target marker and thrust until you have a closure of 10-15 m/s

3) Repeat 1 and 2 as necessary until you get within 500m or so then kill the closing velocity and close using RCS.

4) Use Greenfire's description above.

NavyFish's Docking Port Alignment Indicator is a handy mod to use also.

I rarely look at the two ships while docking just the Navball and the alignment indicator.

1) After getting and executing an intercept of a few Km's you should kill any velocity differential - thrust retrograde on the navball.

Make sure to switch your navball to target mode (click on it) before this :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.