Kraken Ultima

Introducing the Kraken Ultima- The best 0.90 Kraken Drive so far. At 22 Gs while over 800 m/s. it is able to accelerate indefinitely and has 100% reliability. It is able of restarting after shutdown and long time warps and is even controllable (but do not turn it too hard or it may stop working). This 66 Part is 2.5 meters in diameter and is fitting with any ship that size and is attachable from both ends (but dont have it backwards or it will go backwards)

Download

Original Kraken Drive Research Project

The Capsule is not a part of the drive

warranty void if used while transitioning between modes (at 800 m/s), touched, changed or activated.

i am not responsible for any broken saves from kraken induced attacks- beware of the kraken!

H2jr0bo.png

Edited by EladDv

111111) Add a small ladderdrive lander (so the mothership doesn't have to slow down)

222222) Put the whole craft on top of a lifter

333333) Send to orbit

444444) Explore the universe without the need for fuel

555555) ????

666666) PRAISE THE KRAKEN!

How does it perform below 800 m/s? Can I actually use it as a mothership, leave it in orbit around, say, Minmus, and still have it usable afterwards?

111111) Add a small ladderdrive lander (so the mothership doesn't have to slow down)

222222) Put the whole craft on top of a lifter

333333) Send to orbit

444444) Explore the universe without the need for fuel

555555) ????

666666) PRAISE THE KRAKEN!

How does it perform below 800 m/s? Can I actually use it as a mothership, leave it in orbit around, say, Minmus, and still have it usable afterwards?

it preforms like all others- moves at about 5 m/s.

and yes you could use it as a mothership but that's just an engine- you are supposed to build stuff around it.

it preforms like all others- moves at about 5 m/s.

and yes you could use it as a mothership but that's just an engine- you are supposed to build stuff around it.

Did you mean that it accelerates at 5 m/s^2 (so ~0.5 Gs)?

Being just an engine or the whole mothership is irrelevant, I asked that question because orbital velocity around Minmus is around 200 m/s or less - if the drive wouldn't work at all under 800 m/s, it would not be able to circularize around smaller bodies.

I said this elsewhere, and already rep'ed you, but just for the sake of completeness: Good job! At this point G's are pretty much irrelevant, but the reliability improvement is awesome to hear. I'll be using this for stuff, you are warned... ;)

Did you mean that it accelerates at 5 m/s^2 (so ~0.5 Gs)?

Being just an engine or the whole mothership is irrelevant, I asked that question because orbital velocity around Minmus is around 200 m/s or less - if the drive wouldn't work at all under 800 m/s, it would not be able to circularize around smaller bodies.

He is talking about the ground effect of K-Drives under 800m/s before they exploit krakensbane to achieve propellantless thrust. Below that threshold, they are just constant speed antigravity devices. As if that was nothing.

BTW more drives dont add acceleration and more mass dosnt resault less acceleration the Krakens ways are mysterious and beautiful

This comment. Reminds me SO much of myself about a year ago... enjoy the engineering spellcasting! :)

Rune. Yeah, it is a bug that gets better with the anti-bug measure. That awesome.

Edited by Rune

So, uh, what exactly is meant by switching modes at 800 m/s?

That's because of Krakensbane :)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entries/12-Krakensbane

Basically, the game compute velocity calculations in relative or absolute modes to avoid floating point errors - the speed treshold between the two modes is around 800m/s - and the krakendrives behave differently in the two modes. When under the treshold, it acts as an antigravity anchor, only going at 5m/s max, while over this treshold it acts as a propellantless thruster. If you are at high speeds but below the treshold, the drive will try to instantly slow back down to 5m/s - while the rest of your craft still has it's mass wanting to go forward - generaly resulting in the kraken immediate retaliation :P

(The same can happen when you're going to a body with low orbital speeds, like the mün - if you engage a krakendrive with orbital speed below the treshold)

Ok i have got the most amazing news guys! i have a new drive design and it's using the Klaw! yes you heard it right the Klaaaaaaaw!!! and it manages to pulsate at about 0.8 Gs. it's no perfect and i havnt been able to test a one legged drive yet(was so eager to show you and let you experiment) and it's not the smallest or even the most reliable but i have faith in you and i'm sure we together could do great things with it-and now without further ado i am proud to represent the new Claw Drive

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Download

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.