Okay, so what's the obvious thing I'm missing?

MatterBeam

Please don't be a .dll plugin.

So I'm trying to make a simple reactor/radiator/engine engine loop.

I have two problems currently:

Problem 1: Nothing works.

Here's the reactor. This the Large version that produces 2GW. I used a custom unit, 'MJ', properly defined in a Resource.cfg, and an MJ resource shows up in the resource bar.

Reactor:

MODULE{
name = ModuleGenerator
isAlwaysActive = true
requiresAllInputs = true
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = UF4
rate = 0.0000918
}
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = Cooling
rate = 2000
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = MJ
rate = 2000
}
}
RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 0
maxAmount = 2000
isTweakable = false
hideflow = True
}
RESOURCE
{
name = UF4
amount = 3172
maxAmount = 3172
isTweakable = true
hideflow = false
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Cooling
amount = 0
maxAmount = 120000
isTweakable = false
hideflow = false
}
RESOURCE
{
name = MJ
amount = 0
maxAmount = 2000
isTweakable = false
hideflow = false
}

Normally, it consumed 'Cooling' and 'UF4' to produce 'MJ'. Problem: It just doesn't. The UF4 properly drains, but cooling does not and no MJ are produced.

The Reactor is supposed to be paired with a Radiator. The Radiator produces Cooling in exchange for a tiny amount of ElectricCharge.

Here's the Radiator:

MODULE{
name = ModuleGenerator
isAlwaysActive = true
requiresAllInputs = true
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 3
}
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = TinCoolant
rate = 0.00005
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = Cooling
rate = 7000
}
}
RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 100
maxAmount = 100
isTweakable = false
hideflow = True
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Cooling
amount = 10000
maxAmount = 10000
maxAmount = 10000
isTweakable = false
hideflow = false
}
RESOURCE
{
name = TinCoolant
amount = 1728
maxAmount = 1728
isTweakable = true
hideflow = false
}

Again, nothing works. It drains ElectricCharge, but does not produce Cooling.

Problem 2: Weird Firespitter stuff.

oeO4Jui.png

Engine animation in the VAB... it works fine on the launchpad though. This only affects parts with the firespitter module I added:

MODULE
{
name = FSmeshSwitch
moduleID = 0
buttonName = Next
previousButtonName = Prev
objectDisplayNames = Level A; Level B; Level C; Level D
showPreviousButton = true
useFuelSwitchModule = false
objects = WF0.5GW; WF1GW; WF2GW; WF5GW
updateSymmetry = true
affectColliders = true
showInfo = true
}

The Next/Prev menu buttons appear, but clicking on them does nothing. Also, the objectDisplayNames do not appear.

Can someone help me sort out this mess?

Did you make Resources file ?

EDIT- And from play with CFG's have seen if you

RESOURCE
{
name = Cooling
[COLOR="#FF0000"]amount = 0[/COLOR] // <-- If you leave this 0 it will not fill don't know why or if it's a bug but match your max and then try using the tweakable in vab to set it to 0
maxAmount = 120000
isTweakable = false
hideflow = false
}

EDIT- And from the Pic did you check the log looks like your throwing a error.

EDIT- And you have a double max amount in lower one

RESOURCE

{

name = Cooling

amount = 10000

maxAmount = 10000 <--- here

maxAmount = 10000 <--- here

isTweakable = false

hideflow = false

}

Edited by Mecripp2

Did you make Resources file ?

EDIT- And from play with CFG's have seen if you

RESOURCE
{
name = Cooling
[COLOR=#FF0000]amount = 0[/COLOR] // <-- If you leave this 0 it will not fill don't know why or if it's a bug but match your max and then try using the tweakable in vab to set it to 0
maxAmount = 120000
isTweakable = false
hideflow = false
}

Resource file:

RESOURCE_DEFINITION{
name = Cooling
density = 0.0
unitCost = 0
flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
transfer = PUMP
isTweakable = false
}
RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = MJ
density = 0.0
unitCost = 0
flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
transfer = PUMP
isTweakable = false
}
RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = UF4
density = 0.0001
unitCost = 100
flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
transfer = PUMP
isTweakable = true
}
RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = TinCoolant
density = 0.0001
unitCost = 5
flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
transfer = PUMP
isTweakable = true
}
RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = LiquidHydrogen
density = 0.0004
unitCost = 0.5
flowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH
transfer = PUMP
isTweakable = true
}

I'll try setting the minimum values to 1. However, starting up KSP takes a long time >.>

regarding FSmeshSwitch:

it's because the MU doesn't contain any of the objects you list in the config file. FSmeshSwitch doesn't switch between MUs, only what's inside of MU. You need to export a proper MU file with objects (mesh filter/renderer components are required) that you reference in the MODULE.

regarding ModuleGenerator

it appears your MJ container is full to begin with, so no MJ is produced and no UF4 is consumed. it also appears the MJ generation rate is incredibly fast, 2000/sec, at that rate the part is full immediately after launch, and so appears to not produce any MJ. UF4 consumption rate is incredibly slow, so slow that you wouldn't notice any change unless on high time warp. I don't know why Cooling is being consumed constantly, is that by design?

Also it would be a good idea to change the part/object/file names so they don't contain any periods other than the one separating the 3-letter extension from file name. spaces should be replaced with underscore or removed.

Edited by nli2work

regarding FSmeshSwitch:

it's because the MU doesn't contain any of the objects you list in the config file. FSmeshSwitch doesn't switch between MUs, only what's inside of MU. You need to export a proper MU file with objects (mesh filter/renderer components are required) that you reference in the MODULE.

So it is impossible to use stock models for testing?

regarding ModuleGenerator

it appears your MJ container is full to begin with, so no MJ is produced and no UF4 is consumed. it also appears the MJ generation rate is incredibly fast, 2000/sec, at that rate the part is full immediately after launch, and so appears to not produce any MJ. UF4 consumption rate is incredibly slow, so slow that you wouldn't notice any change unless on high time warp. I don't know why Cooling is being consumed constantly, is that by design?

I previously tested with empty MJ for zero resource production. Putting engines which consume MJ instantly drains the current configuration and no more MJ are produced even after engines are shut down.

Cooling is depleted in 60 seconds as intended. However, just like the reactors, the radiators don't produce their custom resource.

Also it would be a good idea to change the part/object/file names so they don't contain any periods other than the one separating the 3-letter extension from file name. spaces should be replaced with underscore or removed.

I'll do this

So it is impossible to use stock models for testing?

No, not in any reasonable way you might use FSmeshSwitch. I suggest reading Firespitter's module documentation at snjo.github.io.

I previously tested with empty MJ for zero resource production. Putting engines which consume MJ instantly drains the current configuration and no more MJ are produced even after engines are shut down.

Cooling is depleted in 60 seconds as intended. However, just like the reactors, the radiators don't produce their custom resource.

I can get MJ production and consumption to work as one might expect (I don't know your original intent in design so I can't say for certain). You just need to adjust the production and consumption rates for the generator and engine modules. Radiator only consumes "Cooling" resource for some reason when it is supposed to produce "Cooling" I don't know why. It maybe good to lower the production and consumption rates by an order of magnitude or two. Sometimes KSP behaves odd with large numbers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.