The Trek of the Dawn Racer -- Elcano Challenge

Starwhip

Welcome to the mission log of the CRN-07A Dawn Racer, and its trek around Kerbin's globe. Rumored to be one of the fastest vehicles in the running, though farther behind than most, the Dawn Racer will not be taking a direct route around the globe. Rather, it will go wherever I see the most interesting feature.

I am not the only competitor, however. Be sure to check out the other's submissions as well!

If you want to download a basic version of the Dawn Racer, you can go here:

CRN-07 Dawn Racer release thread

The stats are outdated now, but it can still go on land, in air, and through the seas, just not as fast.

Mission Logs:

Part One -- The Ship

Part Two -- Pedal to the Metal!

Edited by Starwhip

• 3 weeks later...

Comforting and Disheartening at the same time.. it seems im not the only one battling the changes of 1.0+

Thanks for dropping by my elcano thread the other day starwhip..

for me its the sounds.. I just cant seem to find any thread about what those pitch/volume values mean.. traditionally configured engines play the sound curve too soon leveling out way too early in the throttle... almost at 1/4 travel.. copied stock data isnt much help either..I gather your encountering similar with your fine craft?

power curves also seem to be a tad different for wheels.. as does electricity...

it might be a bug.. as ive had lights dim and go dark when im *not* pulling power with the traction motors and then light up brightly when all the powers sucked out of the system during acceleration.. totally opposite to what should happen and whats always happened..

I give you well wishes for your progress.. I think it'd do alot of people good in this challenge if we all perhaps post little issues like this.. technical issues.. deep within the dark unknown depths of a now alien configuration file... trying to get a perfectly tuned craft back to its original state after such a steep update of the way config files work.. this is the way wills are broken.. more than any steep hill or water crossing.. even the loss of a craft isnt so critical as it can be replaced....

one things for sure.. it'd be good to see you back underway :)

Goodluck starwhip!

Thanks, Overland.

Well, the Dawn Racer does work in 1.0.2... however, its maximum land speed was halved. Problem.

It still uses the same amount of fuel per second, but now it has half the range.

So, the Dawn Racer II is in its design phase.

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out the CRN-07 Dawn Racer is still a reliable rover... er, jet-boat-rover.

So, I sent out a scouting mission for the real one, which will occur when I get back to my more powerful laptop.

Jeb steps out to plant a flag.

9akCiJ2.png

The Dawn Racer's engines begin to spool up.

H2safmG.png

Contact! All ahead full!

GU8WkTD.png

Opposite Bank Spotted.

dykr35J.png

Heave ho, lad!

CJ7ynPd.png

All Stop!

yQE5PGl.png

Hey, let's celebrate with a flag! Jeb jumps out of the Dawn Racer, moves over, and plants one. On the way back he bumped a wheel and spooked the Racer... Poor thing.

X4qgcT9.png

Maybe time warp will help?

8qWbYdo.png

Darn it. :(

The Journey Continues!

A new rover deployed, and away we go! The KSC monolith ate my flag I planted there... ominous.

Anyways, the Dawn Racer made a successful crossing across the bay. Jeb is too set on speed to think of a name, but the crew of the final mission will spend some time on those.

jJjCEMV.png

Hopping out as the sun set, planting a flag.

Dg231yP.png

Night falls. The flag is still there!

CbPwi8R.png

Ah, it's bright now!

B8T4s13.png

Engines on, then.

Z8lzo2e.png

Yeeeeehaaawwww!

9I5CfXj.png

The Racer is just begging me to open up that throttle...

oW9by6X.png

Path Ahead.

9R7zzxr.png

More to come!

Edited by Starwhip

The Kraken strikes yet again.

Jeb had been sinking into the ground for the duration of the mission, and on a recent flag-planting, he finally stood on solid terrain. As such, the flag was denoted with "Less Glitch Ground".

All was well until, ironically, that same flag teleported three kilometers to the north, exploding on impact with the ground.

E6LTH2Y.png

Then stuff got weird. It seemed to be going more or less well for a while.

j7rhBbV.png

Until I came up on this hill.

Pcacl1M.png

Aye, Thar be Quicksand Here! The terrain suddenly stopped being terrain, and the Dawn Racer sunk into the ground before exploding.

32cQTse.png

These here capsules are super stronk.

RGUd9vX.png

Well, thus ends another scouting run. It's what I get for playing on "Low" terrain detail.

Edited by Starwhip

Youch! I had no idea low terrain detail caused collider issues. Thanks for the warning.

I'm pretty sure it makes the collider issues worse, though I've had a rare few occur on high detail. But the rate is much, much lower. :)

Anyways, tired of having to drive the Dawn Racer to the last known point, a deployment mechanism was constructed.

bPxESNo.png

yH97hZM.png

I really admire the perseverance--difficult driving/piloting I will deal with, but for losing progress due to glitchiness I haz not patience! Perhaps one should stay off of land entirely, except briefly to plant flags?

Speaking of glitches, when I staged the deployer to drop the rover, the capsule fell off. :P

Maybe I should turn off the engines next time? :D

UPDATE:

Deployment test.

0klpsKU.png

Down she goes! Brace!

x5Ap6XW.png

Gear down, engines maxed.

s1ogTes.png

Touchdown confirmed. Success!

qb2O3Oe.png

Now for the real thing. Dawn Racer II changes course to the wreck, closing the distance in a mere matter of minutes.

Reaching a good range, the deployer was separated... mostly.

lAsdpRQ.png

DEAR GOD GET IT OFF OF ME!!!

Some fancy maneuvering later and a check of the f3 window, the Racer II successfully separates with no lasting damage.

0OzNVw6.png

Prepare for landing. The deployer has been destroyed.

NCikUQS.png

Touchdown confirmed, prepare for rendezvous.

9fGQfnv.png

Bill here, requesting transfer.

cOXFoYN.png

Bill exits the capsule of the Racer II.

gQeBAyY.png

Here comes Jeb, the terrain is trying to eat him.

i2jCl84.png

Hopefully the Dawn Racer II will survive at least until some part of the poles.

Edited by Starwhip

Graphics! Framerate! Quality! Resolution! Shadows!

UEhtzai.png

Hahaha! Now we can truly begin!

Tonight I've got a window to use my better, newer laptop, so the scouting run shall cease, and the true Elcano Challenge will begin again!

Dawn rises at the KSC. Jeb is awoken by Gene Kerman, who over-excitedly calls Jeb down to the Research and Development building. Wondering what all the fuss is about, Jeb straps his suit on and steps out the doors to be met by an unusual sight:

WwhKZPu.png

Jeb's comms unit comes to life with Gene's voice. He tells Jeb that the craft is called the Dawn Racer, and it is the fastest land and sea vehicle ever to be developed by Kerbalkind. This peaks his interest. Jeb walks over and reads a small plaque affixed to a flag near the arch:

2rkYttv.png

Control notifies him of a global competition to circumnavigate Kerbin occurring at this very moment, with teams both having completed the journey and nearing their ends. "WHAT?!?!" exclaims Jeb, not one to be outdone, and hauls butt over to the ladder of the Dawn Racer:

hPMEwTK.png

Studying the instruments for a while, Jeb realizes that the speed readout is stuck on the "Orbital" setting, and he cannot figure out how to change it. But no matter. He inches the throttle forward and begins to pull out of the shade.

QuMzk68.png

OyQP4BV.png

Realizing that he may be in the Dawn Racer for a long while, Jeb gazes longingly at the Vehicle Assembly Building.

YfBnO5f.png

The Tracking Station. Many not-so-fond memories of mission controllers watching his every move, but memories nonetheless.

SItECQx.png

Mission Control. As demanding as the controllers could be sometimes be, they'd kept him alive more times than he could count.

zhDSM31.png

The birthplace of the Dawn Racer and tower-buzzing aircraft alike (Jeb loved those), the Spaceplane Hangar. A rather impressive structure.

a8gERuA.png

Focusing on the task at hand, Jeb finally figures out how to change the display on the speed readout.

muVlhDK.png

A camera mounted outside of the Mission Control building captures the Dawn Racer as it goes into what Jeb would later call "Peacock Mode":

HB1kHCP.png

Onwards, now, no time to dawdle! We begin at once!

m3gSlin.png

Edited by Starwhip

PFqtGfM.png

Go, Jeb! Not a moment to lose. Up until this moment, Jeb had not the slightest idea of the Dawn Racer's capabilities... but now he knew.

By the time the first hill presented itself, the Racer had accelerated to over 100 m/s.

9rBdN5o.png

Soon it was time for a planed course change. Jeb deployed the right-side airbrakes.

7erYzLW.png

A spot of interest? Oooh! Jeb punches it and rolls smoothly onto the sand.

d7r9lAr.png

It's a sandy place, ain't it? Creatively, Jeb decides to call it the "Sandy Sinkhole".

p1shuZn.png

A minor deviation. Jeb wanted to go check out a large island off the coast.

uu4LhlH.png

Leaving the land behind.

1Tm5sn8.png

This shore is a bit steep, but no matter. The Dawn Racer's thrust easily overpowers gravity.

bWIkbBd.png

There's an interesting feature here. Jeb commemorates it "damerell Ridge" in the name of a fellow circumnavigator.

g9mHu5f.png

Time to go!

3e7CCmL.png

ExLDNqt.png

Pulling up on land again.

cfsPyVQ.png

Interesting bit of terrain once again, this time a series of decently-sized lakes... or monstrous puddles. They could also be minute oceans, depending on how you look at it. Anyways, they have been called the "Solune Lakes".

fRN60Fr.png

Progress after Day One. Jeb decides to call it a night and rest.

vQddR4e.png

Edited by Starwhip

• 2 weeks later...

What's it like to pilot the Dawn Racer? Well, now you'll know! Take a look at this video (Sped up to account for lag; this is the actual speed of the Dawn Racer. I was surprised myself!) and tell me what you think!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.