All right, where ARE tier 0 buildings?

While the barn would be quite humorous and very "Kerbal" I really don't see the point in having a lvl 0 building... the lvl 1 buildings are already begging to be updated the second you start. I mean what would you do with the barn? Launch a command pod on one of the new little half-pint boosters, earn the first liftoff contract and then promptly upgrade the barn to lvl 1? I really don't know what the intended progression would be other than just having one more set of buildings to spend money upgrading almost immediately.

I think (a fantastically useless truth), the benefits to the barn were glazed over when we really look at it, but having modded a fair amount, I'll weigh this for the barn:

The tiered building system right now goes:

30 parts

250,000 bucks for 255 parts

a million bucks for infinite parts

It seems to be a very ... jaunty and jagged set of steps to ascend. It may be alright and bearable when you've played KSP long enough that you know how to maximize for it, but the barn... regardless of whether you like the art style or not, the barn is a new tier that smooths out building transition very nicely. And it made total canon sense in that what sort of launchpad could handle a 30-part rocket? Definitely the one built right outside a wooden barn! Seems like the perfect place for launching sounding rockets and practice flights and nothing too "serious".

I guess, i feel that's what we really missed out on with not having the barn yet: Imagine for instance, a barn, 100,000 to upgrade to the tier "1" VAB, get 75 parts or something suitable enough for a full ride to the Mun, then maybe 300-400k for tier 2 and 200-300 parts, then a million for a VAB with infinite parts, a ridiculous stretch goal to give longevity to your career goals!

I think everyone got so hung up on the artstyle of the barn that they neglected to realize what a 4 tier space center meant in terms of game balance: A much smoother, much more finessed game experience in career

So yeah Harvester, in case you read this or you're rethinking the barn, please work to get Barn into the next release!

I think (a fantastically useless truth), the benefits to the barn were glazed over when we really look at it, but having modded a fair amount, I'll weigh this for the barn:

The tiered building system right now goes:

30 parts

250,000 bucks for 255 parts

a million bucks for infinite parts

It seems to be a very ... jaunty and jagged set of steps to ascend. It may be alright and bearable when you've played KSP long enough that you know how to maximize for it, but the barn... regardless of whether you like the art style or not, the barn is a new tier that smooths out building transition very nicely. And it made total canon sense in that what sort of launchpad could handle a 30-part rocket? Definitely the one built right outside a wooden barn! Seems like the perfect place for launching sounding rockets and practice flights and nothing too "serious".

I guess, i feel that's what we really missed out on with not having the barn yet: Imagine for instance, a barn, 100,000 to upgrade to the tier "1" VAB, get 75 parts or something suitable enough for a full ride to the Mun, then maybe 300-400k for tier 2 and 200-300 parts, then a million for a VAB with infinite parts, a ridiculous stretch goal to give longevity to your career goals!

I think everyone got so hung up on the artstyle of the barn that they neglected to realize what a 4 tier space center meant in terms of game balance: A much smoother, much more finessed game experience in career

So yeah Harvester, in case you read this or you're rethinking the barn, please work to get Barn into the next release!

I guess it makes sense when you put it like that.

One thing I have never quite understood about the launch pads and VAB in regards to "parts" is why does the number of parts matter? I can see radius, height and weight mattering but why the number of parts? Could you launch a mun rocket from the barn launchpad? No probably not. But a small rocket with 50 parts is still a small rocket. I have overbuilt rockets where I have had to take lights and science parts like thermometers and antennae off because I exceeded the part amount. I mean, really? That one light is going to over-strain the launch pad? When I can take two lights off and add another full fuel tank?

My suggestion would be to have certain parts not count towards the part count. Small things like batteries, lights, solar panels, small science parts (like goo or thermometers), antennas .etc. I think total weight should matter a lot more than something as arbitrary as "part count"

Yeah, the barn didn't make it into the 1.0 release. However, I agree with the need for more tier upgrades (or even intermediate ones that don't change the models) to increment the steps a bit more. I find that I need to upgrade the launch pad almost immediately, then the VAB not long after. Then it's quite a long time before either one receives another upgrade.

Just my two funds.

Cheers,

~Claw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.