Cannot use landing gears as bearings in KSP 1.0

Jon144

They changed landing gear physics!

Before landing gear could be used to make awesome bearings that allow for the free rotation of parts. Using this method you could make prop planes, helicopters, and giant trucks all stock.

This has all been changed. Now landing gear do not register the collisions the same and makes this impossible.

The entire reason I liked KSP is because you could build anything. Now all you can build are planes, rockets and small rovers.

pLZHUO3.png

6GjHdGH.jpg

RyHGOxb.jpg

m8bGXXv.jpg

All the insane bearing used crafts I have posted no longer function.

I love all the additions... (ESPECIALLY REALISTIC AERODYNAMICS! WOOT!) But they need to fix this!

Humble Update

The very small landing gear added in the update have real promise at replacing the functions of the old landing gear. They lack suspension so bearing grips can be tighter than ever before. Unfortunately they have very wonky hit-boxes and that makes building bearings with them a bit harder.

All is not totally lost.

Edited by Jon144

as far as i know all previous K drive designs were not fixed by 1.0 (no testing just kasper telling me he wont push the devs the crafts for fix) so far we could still have goo ways of wondering around the system and atmos are going to make it a whole lot more interesting. the drill (by roverdude's description) may hold a new way of K-drives as the heads (AFAIK) posses colliders.

Azimech is going to have a fit when he hears this... :(

Heh, yeah, also you can't make turbo-props now because jet wash heats up parts until the explode. :(

- - - Updated - - -

as far as i know all previous K drive designs were not fixed by 1.0 (no testing just kasper telling me he wont push the devs the crafts for fix) so far we could still have goo ways of wondering around the system and atmos are going to make it a whole lot more interesting. the drill (by roverdude's description) may hold a new way of K-drives as the heads (AFAIK) posses colliders.

I don't believe this problem is related to K-Drives. Wheels were used as bearings for rotating parts, not for providing thrust.

I don't believe this problem is related to K-Drives. Wheels were used as bearings for rotating parts, not for providing thrust.

I know but this is about part collision so it might reflect upon K drive but for the record i will miss them. i was waiting for the new tiny static wheels for 1.25 rotors

This is really bad news.

I hope you can use rover wheels as bearings instead, if you disable their motors and use SAS modules for rotation. I have some stations and interplanetary craft with artificial gravity sections on made with landing gear bearings, so fast rotation is not a requirement for me.

I didn't know either.

How do you do that? Or did anyway.

You can view my threads and download the crafts to see. Even though they no longer function you can better see how the bearings were constructed. The entire principle was to use landing gear to hold in a round object yet still let it freely rotate. Now the landing gear suspension sinks into the object bound to be held in place. This means this old bearing system no longer works with those parts. Bearings are still possible with smaller landing gear.

I'm the one having a temper tantrum right now. Azimech is the one already making a solution.

Edited by Jon144

the drill (by roverdude's description) may hold a new way of K-drives as the heads (AFAIK) posses colliders.

Based upon my experiments this morning (trying to mine kerbals), the drill head does not possess colliders, and will happily phase through objects. Also, I have discovered that the Space Plane Hanger contains ore, but the fuel tanks around it do not :P

and kerbals are not a viable source of fuel, unfortunately

The level of bugs are hilarious. Reentry shields lack physics so they actually end up killing what they are supposed to prtotect. THE LARGER LANDING GEAR DONT EVEN SPIN. Did squad's testers even actually play the game?

Version 1.1 will be released sooner than expected. Hopefully.

Reentry shields lack physics so they actually end up killing what they are supposed to prtotect. THE LARGER LANDING GEAR DONT EVEN SPIN. Did squad's testers even actually play the game?

Holy--what? Are you even kidding me?! This can't be true!!

Squad really needs better people on the testing team. Seems like it is just a bunch of you-tubers and streamers who don't really test the nitty gritty.

why would Squad test this? This is not intended as normal gameplay lol

why would Squad test this? This is not intended as normal gameplay lol

The WHOLE POINT of KSP is to build stuff that works from things that weren't meant to be used quite that way. Back in 0.13 there would be the best forum posts of all time, rescuing a capsule with landing legs before docking or EVA, landing with fins mounted on decouplers before landing legs. I saw the first proof of concept docking with nothing more than spreadsheets and math to figure out trajectories. I hear there were even orbits before there was a map, or timewarp, or even knowledge about the properties of Kerbin.

And then, of course, these helicopter monstrosities.

The WHOLE POINT of KSP is to build stuff that works from things that weren't meant to be used quite that way.

There are always people who love to bend games as far as they can to do weird and wonderful things -- but that doesn't compel the devs to make sure that every trick that worked pre-release will still work post-release. Squad aren't selling a general-purpose physics simulation, they are selling a spaceflight simulation, and nowhere in their advertising or other material do they suggest that you can build monster trucks using tricks of the physics.

My guess is that they had to adjust the landing-gear physics in order to improve runway handling. Spaceplanes are part of their core goals for gameplay, and they want them to work as well as possible.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.