NCS Adapter and heat absorbtion

Funguspower

Hi guys!

After some fiddling about with the new parts and flight model, aswell as the new heat mechanics, it seems to me that the NCS Adapter absorbs WAY more heat than all the other parts.

I've attached an image to show the insane difference in heat buildup between two frontally mounted parts (in this case a nosecone and the NCS adapter behind it). You can see the nosecone sitting at around 400 Kelcius (funny joke!) and the NCS adapter at 1100. A second later the NCS adapter explodes while all the parts around it are completely fine in terms of heat.

screenshot19.jpg

Even if my design is aerodynamically poor (which I don't think it is, but who am I to judge...) it still wouldn't explain the huge difference in heat between the two most frontally mounted parts on the airplane.

Anybody else who noticed this?

Regards,

Funguspower

Possibly, Radam, but it heats up so much faster than the rest that something seems wrong.

Also, a large part of the adapter is covered up by the nosecone. That should be heating up most in this case. Especially at supersonic speeds. The cockpit right behind it has an even bigger surface area and doesn't overheat until much later.

Thanks for the idea, though.

Regards,

Fungus

I've been noticing some parts heating very oddly as well, namely the Mk-2 cockpit(the pointed one, not sure about the inline one) seems to inevitably explode on the way up, as does the Tail Section A and the wing Strakes. They all have the same heat tolerance as the other parts, but for some reason they end up heating much more rapidly, and often exploding.

Don't parts have a few stats in addition to the heat resistance stat now? Convection, Conductivity, etc.? Probably worth comparing these stats too. If they're also the same, then I have no idea why they'd overheat differently.

Don't parts have a few stats in addition to the heat resistance stat now? Convection, Conductivity, etc.? Probably worth comparing these stats too. If they're also the same, then I have no idea why they'd overheat differently.

They overheat differently because of the complexity of the thermal model. Though not the case with heat from speeding in atmosphere (attrition), heat affects parts exposed to Sun and not all.

About attrition, heat is generated as drag is created by each part (more or less, area presented to the stream * air density * speed^3). Notice that parts upstream occlude those downstream (based on relative size), so heat is directly applied to the first, and less or none to the second. Then, heat is measured against the thermal capacity of each part to compute the temperature. Based on temperature of each part, heat is conducted, conveyed, and radiated in space. Parts with limited heat conductivity don't share much heat with others (even if directly attached), of course if heat keeps being generated for that part more than it can be radiated, conveyed or conducted away, that part temperature will finally get above the maxTemp value... and disintegrate from overheating.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.