PartModule "ModuleCargoBay"

Hello, I have some questions of how to use the ModuleCargoBay - PartModule for a Fairing I created. The Fairing is only one piece, so I don't need the Fairing module itself at all, I hope. So I have just copied the ModuleCargoBay Module from the Stock Size 2 Fairing and inserted it into my part cfg. However, it is, of course, as everytime if you just copy stuff from other configs, not working, or not correctly. And I have no idea what those things mean, so I just opened a thread here.

MODULE

{

name = ModuleCargoBay

DeployModuleIndex = 0

closedPosition = 0

lookupRadius = 2.5

// nodeOuterAftID = bottom

// nodeInnerAftID = top

}

What do I use DeployModuleIndex, closedPosition and lookupRadius for? I believe the lookupRadius is how big the area which should be phisically covered by the Fairing is, but if I turn it up, it should, at last if I think now correctly, also cover the tank under it, which is not what I want to happen.

Could somebody help me there? :)

DeployModuleIndex is the index of the animation module that opens your cargo bay. If your deploy animation is the first module in your part config, this should be 0. If it is the 2nd module, this should be 1. 3rd = 2 ....

ClosedPosition is the position in your animation that represents closed. If your animation goes from closed ->open, this should be 0. If your animation starts open and goes to closed, this should be 1.

lookupRadius is probably the distance from the center of mass of the cargo bay to do part containment lookup. On all stock cargo bays this is set to half the length of the cargo bay; so a 10m long bay would have a value of 5.

Aha, ok that makes totally sense, thank you very much, have some rep! :) For the lookupRadius, I would guess now that after I read through your guess, that the Radius' origin starts not from the Center of Mass, but from the position from the gameobject the mesh is attached too.

On a negative side, this makes fairings which seperate into two equal parts impossible without a plugin. :(

On a negative side, this makes fairings which seperate into two equal parts impossible without a plugin. :(

I'm pretty sure everyone who has a mod with fairings is waiting for a plugin like this. Right now you need to increase the DV of the rockets to fight against the drag created by the payload since the fairing isn't technically protecting it.

• 4 months later...
I'm pretty sure everyone who has a mod with fairings is waiting for a plugin like this. Right now you need to increase the DV of the rockets to fight against the drag created by the payload since the fairing isn't technically protecting it.

I was doing some googling and ended up here, and saw raidernick's comment. I wrote a temporary (kind of hacked together, not technically the 'right' way to do it, but it works) plugin to handle old school fairings with two or more parts.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/132343-1-0-4-Old-School-Fairings

It's in a testing phase.

• 2 weeks later...

Should point out FAR has dealt with fairings & cargo bays for quite some time, might be good to look through the older versions - cargo bays were explicitly marked as cargo bays, I think pFairings had/has it's own code for interacting with FAR. The new FAR is a totally different animal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.