More random worlds

What do you think?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• YES!
    • Maybe
    • No.
    • Maybe, i'd change something (post your idea)

My idea is:

Why don't implement random generation of Solar System? I don't mean more, just never the same.

When you start save, you can choose stock setup, or enter "seed". You always start on Kerbin, but sometimes it has 1, 2 or even 3 moons. Their inclination, apo-periapsis, eccentrity would be random (but reasonable).

Example : You start on Kerbin. It has 2 moons: Gilly and Bop. Kerbin is 2nd to sun. 1st is Jool, that's being orbited by Mun, Minmus and Ike. 3rd one is Eeloo with Pol etc. etc.

Science values should be changed then: lower values on 3-moon Kerbin system and bigger ones on one-moon.

They intentionally made the solar system the same, so that everyone would know what Duna or Jool is, not just that you have gone to some planet that looks like mars and is as big as venus or something. Procedural worlds are not bad, as long as all players use the same seed. All of the planetary bodies (save for Jool and the Sun) have some procedural elements, but they are all the same seeds for every player. You could take this one further. In Space Engine, the entire galaxy is procedural, but it has the same seed, so if you follow directions from one star to another, you will find the same stuff across different games. Kerbal Space Program may be able to use procedural planets for interstellar exploration if that ever becomes a thing, but they should have the same seed for any player.

For game design however, custom-building planets and moons allows for more interesting places to be built. Maybe they could be based on something cool from Space Engine, as many of the planet-modding people would agree with, but the actual parameters are usually defined by the creator.

"Random" option would me mainly for more advanced players - that's why "Stock" should be left.

It'd be very nice option, that would increase difficulty, if stock one is becoming too easy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.