Rescue Mission issue

Not sure if this is just running out of time, but every time I get within about 0.5 km of the capsule that is my target it disappears and the contract is a failure. Why this is a problem is that by using F5/F9 I can change the elapsed time and I always get the same result. Each time I get a close intercept regardless of how long it takes it fails.

Could this be that the contract actually has already expired but that isn't recognised until I get close enough to switch to the target ?

Just FYI, this is the knarliest rescue I've yet seen. Target is a capsule not a Kerbal in a suit, and the orbit is at around 10 degrees off equatorial and is out between Mun and Minmus. Took an upgrade to go beyond 30 parts to be able to built a craft with enough fuel to reach.

Edited by Kersplattle

Well, not sure if i solved it fully but I think I was somehow being so accurate I kept colliding with the target capsule. Best explanation I can come up with. This last time I stopped 1.2 km away and jet-packed the stranded verbal (Moena) over. That worked, managed to get her home with about 1 unit of electricity left !

Well, 0.5 km (500 m), while close enough for rescue, is certainly not dangerously close. It should not cause collisions. What is your relative speed?

I usually go for <0.2 m/s at <50 m. Getting closer is of no particular use. It's easier to maneuver while EVA than in a ship.

Are you perhaps burning the stuff you want to rescue with engine exhaust? It won't be happening at 500 m, but if you get too close...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.