Well, shoot. Help getting back to Kerbin SOI?

I might have pushed my luck a bit too far this time. :( Got fired by the Mun into a Kerbolar orbit, and I cannot seem to get back to Kerbin. If I could figure out what direction to go I'd be fine, but unfortunately, I cannot see patched conics yet.

If I am forced to wait it out until I can scrap up the 300,000 funds to upgrade the Tracking Station, so be it, but if someone could give me a vector it would be greatly appreciated and save me a few hours of work.

FIr9WAM.png

I've tried Radial In and Retrograde, as well as just burning straight for Kerbin. However, it is unknown whether this is the right course of action because I have a very small amount of fuel.

(Once the direction is established I'll use up the fumes in the fuel tank and just get out and push)

Edited by Starwhip

Crazy idea (and probably not very efficient), but couldn't you set Kerbin as your target and then just burn for kerbin until you're out of gas?

Sure, it probably wont get you into a respectable orbit, but at least you won't shoot off into interplanetary space. Making future rescue missions...do-able.

As you are escaping Kerbin, your retrograde relative to Kerbin should be towards it; so I'd say full throttle towards Kerbin.

You should probably backup first, in case random assumptions do not fit rocket science (not that it's the case in KSP but...)

As you are escaping Kerbin, your retrograde relative to Kerbin should be towards it; so I'd say full throttle towards Kerbin.

You should probably backup first, in case random assumptions do not fit rocket science (not that it's the case in KSP but...)

Okay, I'm a try this. I've got like 12 units of LF/O left... Jeb, time to PUSH! :D

G0oHuSF.png

Okay, turned on Infinite Fuel for a moment, to see if it would work, and it does! Now to do it for real!

Well that's a bummer. One idea is can you visually see any of the kerbin bodies in the normal view? Second idea was if you show your ejection orbit blue line relative to Kerbins orbital path, that might help backtrack the right direction.

EDIT: Ninja'd

You know what? I don't need no stupid capsule. I'll grab all the science and haul Jeb back home into LKO with his suit, then rescue him in orbit with the thing I made to take toursits into orbit. :D

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT:

I hate the Mun. :mad:

daGadE6.png

Quick, Jeb, BURN!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.