Bug - Learstar A1 RCS tanks

Looks like the Mk2 Monopropellant tank mounted at the rear of the ship is disabled in the stock ship save file for the Learstar A1.

Caused a bit of a brown-trousers moment when the engines cut out after using 90 of the 390 units of RCS fuel it's carrying :)

(relevant lines from the craft file, line 2046 seems to be the cause of the issue)

{

name = MonoPropellant

amount = 300

maxAmount = 300

flowState = False <--- This bit here

isTweakable = True

hideFlow = False

flowMode = Both

}

Having flown this and wondered about it... I just checked action groups... mono tank is not listed there, just front winglets and then elevons in various combinations. I don't see an obvious method to enable turning on tank valves by action group. Selecting tanks doesn't display any action group options. The craft has 4 0-10 mono engines; I think the craft designer doesn't want us draining that tank un-aware. If so, that idea should probably be mentioned in the craft description.

I've had a look and that tank is not linked to any action groups that I can see - we've got elevons on groups one through three, winglet toggle on group four, and the expected parts in gear / lights / brakes groups. No action group linked to the solar panels either :)

Hmm could be a mistake, though most of the stock craft are deliberately broken in some way, this still might be intentional.
It was something interesting I discovered on my own, but I'm not a new player anymore. It's a fairly complex craft for stock, I might be afraid to mess with it when just starting out with KSP. I think the "why doesn't this work" question would likely be encountered on-orbit, not at a critical time of craft operation. It's not "broken" until you activate the stage with 4 O-10 engines, and wonder why you don't get very far.

Hopefully the player notices the upper right resource panel says that it has lots of monoprop, and from there right-clicks the tank. The next big hurdle for a new player, is realizing the red circle-slash icon is a button you can click. (Maybe its covered in a tutorial, I haven't done any of the new ones.)

Some landers descriptions/info tell you that the launch vehicle isn't included; the Kerbal 2 is a "trainer" rocket not meant to get very far. But, the Leastar A1 description is a bit sparse for what it can do: "SSTO is overrated, payload capability and comfortable seats are all the rage these days."

I learned something from it: it's possible to attach more than 1 SRB, to a single radial decoupler. I confirmed it in the craft file! I have always used one decoupler per engine.

Edit: (The general thought being each part should only be attached to one other part, unless it looks like it's designed for more. I have branched multiple engines on a single decoupler before, by using girders and a quad adapter.)

part = radialDecoupler2_4292713778

link = MassiveBooster_4288361156

link = MassiveBooster_4288360370

sym = radialDecoupler2_4292713824

srfN = srfAttach,Size3LargeTank_4292714280

Edited by basic.syntax

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.