1.0.1 and 1.0.2 are spot on!

Xavven

I love it and am having a blast with career mode. Already have some tier 3 facilities, but most are still at 2. Have a nice looking 200+ ton ship on the way to Duna and Ike to complete some contracts.

Not necessarily, that's the meaning of terminal velocity... you can accelerate only so much when going downwards... ask any free fall skydiver!!!!

P.S. Also keep in mind that you will always slow down as you hit thicker air due to the effects of drag.

Terminal velocity of the maximum attainable velocity of an object falling through the air. You have a salient point if I had a glider. I have a plane with two jet engines on the back of it. So slowing down in a full throttle dive is not an option or realistic.

Not necessarily, that's the meaning of terminal velocity... you can accelerate only so much when going downwards... ask any free fall skydiver!!!!

P.S. Also keep in mind that you will always slow down as you hit thicker air due to the effects of drag.

I think you misunderstand what terminal velocity means. It is simply the speed at which a free falling object will no longer accelerate. But if you strap a jet engine to the back of that object, then it will accelerate for sure. So... no, this is bad.

Also, everyone here is saying that 1.0.2 is great and awesome and perfect. Well, it is great and awesome, but have you guys tried hitting the atmo at 3.5k m/s with no heat shield? Well, you should try it... because, you'll be perfectly fine. Heatsheilds are completely useless now. You do not need them. There is no risk of burning up on reentry. So... for me, that's a pretty big broken feature that was just added in 1.0 a few days ago. I wish they'd find a happy medium between the aero in 1.0 and 1.0.2. They tried to make space planes feasible but ended up breaking a simple rule of burning up on re-entry, which is more important in my opinion.

I think you misunderstand what terminal velocity means. It is simply the speed at which a free falling object will no longer accelerate. But if you strap a jet engine to the back of that object, then it will accelerate for sure. So... no, this is bad.

Also, everyone here is saying that 1.0.2 is great and awesome and perfect. Well, it is great and awesome, but have you guys tried hitting the atmo at 3.5k m/s with no heat shield? Well, you should try it... because, you'll be perfectly fine. Heatsheilds are completely useless now. You do not need them. There is no risk of burning up on reentry. So... for me, that's a pretty big broken feature that was just added in 1.0 a few days ago. I wish they'd find a happy medium between the aero in 1.0 and 1.0.2. They tried to make space planes feasible but ended up breaking a simple rule of burning up on re-entry, which is more important in my opinion.

Probably because 1.0.2 was a hotfix. Better days will be ahead, in the meantime play either whichever KSP version feels most fun to play.

EDIT - For the record i was crushed by the return of soup and very dissapointed, but after going back and forth between the two versions, i am now playing a career in 1.0.2 and having a slice of pie.

I think that it is you who misunderstands terminal velocity. It is not simply an arbitrary speed... it is *the* speed at which the force due to drag is equal and opposite to the forces causing the movement/acceleration... so no further acceleration is possible. This statement is true whether it is gravity alone causing this acceleration, or gravity + an engine (or other forces). And since drag (at high speeds anyway) is roughly proportional to the square of velocity... there will **always** exist a terminal velocity for an object moving through a fluid... regardless of how much power you put behind it... it's just that the more power you add the higher the terminal velocity becomes; however, if you are descending then you have to consider that the air is becoming more dense (thus lowering terminal velocity). If the effects due to increasing density outpace the effects due to increasing throttle... then you certainly will slow down even though you hit the gas (though you will slow down less rapidly than you otherwise would have). This still doesn't consider the effects of reduced weight, if an engine can consume weight quickly enough to decrease the mass at a significant rate... it is essentially increasing drag/weight ratio. So it's possible that if you deorbit a full tank, you will be going faster at a lower altitude than if you had pointed prograde and burned all that fuel up (though I doubt that's possible with any of KSP's fuel/engine combinations... it would probably require a horribly inefficient engine).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.