PSA - 1.01/1.02 Temperature Gauges/Overheating Display Causes Massive Memory Leak

Tarheel1999

While re-entering my Mun lander with several exposed parts (landing legs and lights) my memory spiked from 2.2Gb to 3.7Gb and then KSP crashed. This was with a stock install. I tested it several times and it crashed every time. When I jettisoned the lower part of the lander (with exposed parts) I only gained about 200Mb of memory during re-entry. The problem appears to occur when you have multiple parts overheating.

UPDATE - Using F10 to disable the temperature gauges minimizes/eliminates the memory leak.

Support thread post on same issue: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/118658-New-Heat-System-causes-memory-leak

Edited by Tarheel1999

So that explains my 2 OoM crahes. Rather strange, especially since stock 1.0 is actually smaller than 0.9 thanks to fixes and magic textures.

Have to say tho, I love the gauges and heat effects. Those tools are incredible usefull. Wonder how the construction aero overlay will turn out.

edit: Almost 100mb per second on a ok-sized hot ship. Only gauges, heat coloration works fine.

Edited by Temeter

And this is why i cant stand rushed features.

Yes its a nice addition, but when you have to disable it all the bloody time due to bad coding then why even bother?

Im tempted to just revert to 1.0, the aero was much more enjoyeable (realistic or not i dont actually care, fun is where im at), the heating was fine, and the only major difference was that now parachutes cant be used as air brakes (well we got one more fin, but its not like i play career where i care about low tier stuff or money). Considering i ONLY touch 3 types of craft right now, airplanes(SSTOs too but they are space airplanes technically), land vehicles, and capital ships, ive yet to actually find any practical use for parachutes (airplanes when built properly dont need them as i can um land horizontally, capital ships are never intended to come back down, and land vehicles, well you get the idea).

Anyways, until they fix such a stupid memory leak, im sticking to 1.0, i see no reason to upgrade to 1.0.2 just for some minor features (and the whole occlusion bug is a matter of whether you choose to abuse it, i still had plenty of legit non-cheat planes flying in 1.0).

Crashes have not increased, but the memory footprint has. 1.0 was very smooth and everything worked peachy. 1.0.2 has some serious performance issues. RAM usage is now way over 3GB (was significantly under that with 1.0).

Ah well, just tested my SR-71 Research Plane at Mach3+ and was wondering why I had two game crashes in a row. That might be it, there were some heat gauges.... Nothing exploded tho, it can nearly cruise at max throttle, but the parts get hot :D

Is there a way to disable them by default? If I switch them off (f10) in one flight then they're enabled again on the next flight. They're useful as a debug tool like the aero-forces indicators, but I don't like them being on by default (that and their memory issues)

My RAM is always sitting about 3.8 GB all the time regardless of what I'm doing, and I haven't had a single crash in 1.xx... I wonder what's going on? I have a few mods and run all the graphics setting at max pretty much...not a single crash in many, many hours of game time.

My RAM is always sitting about 3.8 GB all the time regardless of what I'm doing, and I haven't had a single crash in 1.xx... I wonder what's going on? I have a few mods and run all the graphics setting at max pretty much...not a single crash in many, many hours of game time.

The out-of-memory crash range for KSP in Windows is about 3.3-3.7. So either you are an outlier, not running KSP in Windows, or KSP is not actually sitting at 3.8 all the time. Even with the improvements memory still steadily increases in 1.0.

I hope the next hotfix corrects these issues without adding new features. I can contend with rebalancing the aero system. It is clear they are testing that with us. But new features add bugs that we cannot correct for.

And this is why i cant stand rushed features.

Yes its a nice addition, but when you have to disable it all the bloody time due to bad coding then why even bother?

It was a "we need this, we need this, we need this" rushed feature... really, patches shouldn't add features and squad shouldn't have as much change with a patch, but just remember how much we were complaining.

Is there a way to disable them by default? If I switch them off (f10) in one flight then they're enabled again on the next flight. They're useful as a debug tool like the aero-forces indicators, but I don't like them being on by default (that and their memory issues)

I didn't find anything like that but i create a small mod that does this :)

Can be found here if you don't want all the other mods in there you can just remove their dll's

Ahh, so maybe that's what's causing my KSP to run slower and slower as time goes by.

I was all excited when I first turned on 1.0.2 and noticed the significantly improved framerate, but that seemed to gradually go away and be replaced by really long scene transition times after a few hours, and I was worrying my computer was overheating xD

The out-of-memory crash range for KSP in Windows is about 3.3-3.7. So either you are an outlier, not running KSP in Windows, or KSP is not actually sitting at 3.8 all the time. Even with the improvements memory still steadily increases in 1.0.

I guess I didn't realize that my system idles at 1.7GB...so when I saw 3.8 total, KSP is actually only adding 2.1GB.

Ahh, so maybe that's what's causing my KSP to run slower and slower as time goes by.

I was all excited when I first turned on 1.0.2 and noticed the significantly improved framerate, but that seemed to gradually go away and be replaced by really long scene transition times after a few hours, and I was worrying my computer was overheating xD

Noticed the same thing. 1.0 was working all fast and smooth and 1.0.2 gained fps drops all of a sudden. Also the aero feels kinda soupy and stall-less again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.