Science and Funds

TothAval

i am, since careers(science only) where first introduced, a career-only player and i am ok with the system, nevertheless are some things missing that would make

the progression in career so much more fun in my opinion.

as pointed out by many, career in it's current state is some grinding(which i don't care about, i love satellite and part testing contracts). i like the contract-system, but being forced to do contracts for private contractors all the time doesn't feel right and at some point it will get boring nevertheless. where is kerbalkind? where are the governments?

i think a second source of income for science and funds would be perfect for career mode. there should be government funding and science income through planetary research.

below is what i feel would be a great addition for career.

Science

• income doing contracts and experiments (as it is now)
  • slow income over time on a selected/random node by planetary research(originating from kerbalkinds universities, research groups, industry, and so on)
  • timewarping science would be possible, yes, but limiting the amount to max 100 science(or less) a year should make this an unattractive and boring approach
  • science over time could be boosted via a strategy
  • tech-tree node progression could be boosted via strategy
  • newstrategy: rush science
    • reducesscience cost for tech-tree tiers significantly
    • onlyone part of per node can be unlocked
    • tounlock more parts in a node unlocked this way parts need to be paidwith science and funds
    • changingstrategy does not effect nodes which where unlocked using thisstrategy

Funds

• income doing contracts (as it is now)
  • monthly income based on reputation, science unlocked, science conducted, flights in progress, flights succesful returned, government contracts/goals fullfilled
  • monthly income could also be limited by not performing launches(decaying reputation), killing kerbals, crashing craft on kerbin, pending government contracts/goals
  • monthly income could be boosted via strategy
  • monthly income could be boosted if research over time node in tech tree(as mentioned under science) was completed using science from experiments

• monthly costs to counter the income, for example labor costs, maintainance, mission control for flights in progress, power consumption, pensions for relatives of killed kerbals,...
  • costs and income could also be adressed via building-upgrades

• since managing and organizing a space program is a complex task, some developement to handle this aspect would be nice
    • for example an additional small branch of the techtree costing reputation, funds and tiny amounts of science could improve administration(IA) of the program
    • IA could lead to hiring kerbals for less money, support more flights/contracts, purchase unlocked parts for less funds, increasing monthly funds, ...
    • if it would ever cost time to assemble something on the launchpad, IA could reduce the time, would only require some simulation mode to build and test craft as usual

[*]more reputation could allow to make contracts with other agencies and grants access to other launchsites on kerbin(there are some as far as i know)

[*]this contracts could require a monthly share on money and science

implementing something like this and make it a slideroption for difficulty, some tweaking of the techtree and career would be perfect in my opinion. i know ksp is about rockets,

not management and this is perfectly fine, but career offers a promise to me to play as a space agency struggeling to achieve what ever the goals are. but this aspect comes short

and this is why people are upset about career i think.

what do you think?

My biggest problem with career mode is having to do the same type contracts over and over again to fund your program.

Personally I think contracts should be only given out once and pay out more. They should be given slightly before you have the tech to do it easily to challenge a player to come up with a design.

As an example for the sat contracts:

Contract to be put in a rather LKO and allow more deviation from the contract requirements

Contract for a esentric orbit and having to be more precise with the orbit

Contract for geosync orbit

Contracts for putting up a sat linked to your scince parts tech level. Unlock the thermometer you get a contract to put a sat up with one attached, same with the scanning parts.

After you complete each you will no longer get sat contracts for Kerbin.

Do the above should help with not turning the game into grinding the same contracts to fund upgrades and missions that you really want to do.

After you complete each you will no longer get sat contracts for Kerbin.

I like your idea except of this. i love satellite contracts and want to fill kerbins soi with them :D I would prefer an option to deactivate certain contract types for certain bodies or an option

to allow or disallow completion of a contract type(while allowing would lead to the results you suggested)

I like your idea except of this. i love satellite contracts and want to fill kerbins soi with them :D I would prefer an option to deactivate certain contract types for certain bodies or an option

to allow or disallow completion of a contract type(while allowing would lead to the results you suggested)

In GameData\Squad\Contracts\Contracts.cfg there are many options that let you do these sorts of things. Look for things labeled "MaximumAvailable" "MaximumActive" and "MaximumExistent". Setting these to lower or higher numbers will drastically affect what sorts of contracts you get, and there are many other options as well.

In GameData\Squad\Contracts\Contracts.cfg there are many options that let you do these sorts of things. Look for things labeled "MaximumAvailable" "MaximumActive" and "MaximumExistent". Setting these to lower or higher numbers will drastically affect what sorts of contracts you get, and there are many other options as well.

Good info, although i would prefer having access to such customization ingame, and not via a cfg file, quality of life and such ;)

Good contracts btw. so far, i really enjoy them.

Hello,

I maxxed out Science/Funds settings to custom mode and am stuck on getting into orbit; where are the rest of the contracts and when do they appear? Maxxed out Science/Funds contracts may have issues? I am seeing speed and altitude autocontracts more than I am able to handle as well.

I am almost ready to start a trial career; I may have to now to see what contracts are really doing.

Zeta

I also would like to see a mode with time based payment- it would give you a lot more freedom to take the space program where you'd like, rather than needing to follow the direction set by contracts. This way, some of the contracts could be made redundant- like the explore contracts.

I'm not convinced linking funds directly to reputation is the best approach- sometimes you will want to warp for a while, and having to grind to regain reputation would be annoying. But, a small reputation loss over time wouldn't be terrible, there should be a few things to deter you from warping willy-nilly.

I also think a month might be to small a period- ok for programs focused on Kerbin's SOI, but go interplanetary, your shortest trip takes several months (kerbin time). I think at minimum, it should be 100 days, or even a (kerbin) year)

Here is another concept for time based funding I wrote up a while ago.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entries/3444-An-aproach-to-Time-based-funding

I also would like to see a mode with time based payment- it would give you a lot more freedom to take the space program where you'd like, rather than needing to follow the direction set by contracts. This way, some of the contracts could be made redundant- like the explore contracts.

I'm not convinced linking funds directly to reputation is the best approach- sometimes you will want to warp for a while, and having to grind to regain reputation would be annoying. But, a small reputation loss over time wouldn't be terrible, there should be a few things to deter you from warping willy-nilly.

I also think a month might be to small a period- ok for programs focused on Kerbin's SOI, but go interplanetary, your shortest trip takes several months (kerbin time). I think at minimum, it should be 100 days, or even a (kerbin) year)

Here is another concept for time based funding I wrote up a while ago.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entries/3444-An-aproach-to-Time-based-funding

nice article. seems like we're on the same site here :)

regarding the reputation loss. it's simply that an agency doing absolutely nothing will be forgotten someday. reputation loss should only occur when 0 flights(or less then 3 or whatever) are in progress. in my opinion having the three main ressources building up over time as well as contracts to boost the program faster and further is the best solution, with some less profits or even losses due to player failures or what ever.

i wouldn't even mind buying fuel over the administration building and store this fuel in a upgradeable storage facility, as long as i have the feeling to really run this agency, backed or hated by kerbalkind an its governments :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.