[1.0.2] Swept wings, elevons and CoM

KSP Version: v1.0.2 Windows 64-bit

What Happens: I get inverted pitch when using only swept wings with elevons on them.

Mods / Add-Ons: All Stock

Steps to Replicate:

1) Build a plane with swept wings as only non-control lift surface.

2) Add elevons to wings.

2) Align the center of lift with the center of mass.

Result: The elevon gets input direction from the attachment point of its parent (at least it looks like it), but its control impact is relative to the center of mass. This causes inverted pitch when attachment point of the parent and its own are on opposite sides of the center of mass.

Other Notes/Pictures/Log Files:

- craft file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24834500/kerbal_wing/Goblin.craft

kerbal_wing.jpg

The axis of the control surfaces is intersecting or in front of the CoM, this is an old issue, move your wings back or change their angle so the control surfaces do not intersect the CoM.

Also having same issue. I understand the automatic mapping you refer to, however:

1) The wings are angled and positioned to place CoL in appropriate place. It is not always possible or desirable to have to move them to work around mismapped ailerons.

2) Ailerons have an invert option, which would allow us to override this, but it seems to be ignored. I can launch with it set and not set, but the ailerons behave the same either way.

4nGKsYB.jpg?1

• 2 weeks later...

I am also having this problem, specific to roll control, and have to admit that it's problematic.

Particularly when roll control should not be impacted at all by aileron position being fore or aft of the center of mass?? The position in front of or behind the CoM would impact their direction for pitch but not roll. Why is roll control inverted?

I'm now realizing as I re-read the original bug report that this was a report specific to pitch. I'll write up a new one specific to roll? Perhaps I'm missing something as I haven't had this issue before and it's particularly problematic when you're controls work in reverse.

EDIT/UPDATE 1: My post may have been a mistake - after removing mods and restarting the game I was unable to reproduce the issue in stock. I'm going to get more information and post it in the appropriate thread/forum.

EDIT/UPDATE 2: I have determined the issue to be specific to Stock Bug Fix Modules (Release v1.0.2d.2) with StockPlus enabled. My mistake for posting here without more testing first!

Edited by Black-Talon
my problem is specific to StockPlus v1.0.2d.2

EDIT/UPDATE 2: I have determined the issue to be specific to Stock Bug Fix Modules (Release v1.0.2d.2) with StockPlus enabled. My mistake for posting here without more testing first!

Yes, the particular bug you pointed out is my fault. It's in the StockPlus part of ModuleControlSurfaceFix, which you can selectively disable. Sorry for the troubles.

Cheers,

-Claw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.