Anyone Up For Doing Some Procedural Inflatable Heatshields?

NeoMorph

Is this even possible... I'm well past my programming days (blame the damned morphine I have to take) which means this isn't something I can get my head around.

I think they would be really useful and for stability you could use a streamer/drogue chute just to stop the problems we had with the Deadly Re-Entry mod's inflatable heatshield. For atmosphere based planets it would be REALLY useful to use inflatables.

I really love 1.0.0 with the way they integrated DRE and Ferrams ideas... Really have to watch that thermal interface now.

Edited by NeoMorph
Oops, forgot to type the word "ideas"

Is this even possible... I'm well past my programming days (blame the damned morphine I have to take) which means this isn't something I can get my head around.

I think they would be really useful and for stability you could use a streamer/drogue chute just to stop the problems we had with the Deadly Re-Entry mod's inflatable heatshield. For atmosphere based planets it would be REALLY useful to use inflatables.

I really love 1.0.0 with the way they integrated DRE and Ferrams... Really have to watch that thermal interface now.

KM special does have inflatable heatshields but they never worked correctly, in stock or far aero. The animation somehow affects the aerodynamics of the heatshield causing you to not slow down at all. Also, 1.0 did not implement FAR at all, ferram wasn't even asked to help with the project, they are entirely different.

KM special does have inflatable heatshields but they never worked correctly, in stock or far aero. The animation somehow affects the aerodynamics of the heatshield causing you to not slow down at all. Also, 1.0 did not implement FAR at all, ferram wasn't even asked to help with the project, they are entirely different.

What I meant was it was Squad's take on FAR and DRE. They are built completely differently (I noticed when I was looking for the inflatable heatshield). I loved FAR and DRE and used then extensively for a time but there were a few instances where they would mess up a long mission and caused fatal crashes so I left them to develop more before using them again... and then Squad come along with something that actually lets me fly planes like they should (still not perfect but a LOT better).

What I was thinking of doing was trying to fake out a mix of the inflatable heatshield from DRE and using the code from the game's built in heatshield... but I never found where the inflatable one went to. Thanks for the heads up regarding the KM pack. I never used that mod (I was overloaded as it was!).

Oh and one funny... My neighbours probably wondered what was going on today when one of my first Mun shots return to Kerbol... It was coming through the atmosphere and I thought the capsule had a heatshield built in so when the think went KABOOOOOOOM through my headphones I think I swore for about 3 minutes straight. I had the volume turned up a LEEEEEETLE bit too loud. My ears were still ringing 10 minutes later.

Edited by NeoMorph

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.