How to Collect all that Science?

Delving back into KSP again after a long hiatus. Last time I was here was pre-Science.

Anyway, I am having a great deal of difficulty collecting the Science that the window says I should get. For example:

• I send my rocket up with a Science Jr Module and Observe the Bay.
  • The window says that I should get 25 Science by collecting, or 12 (I think) for Transmitting.
  • So I click the green clipboard to collect it.
  • I then send my Kerbalnaut out on EVA and take a report (and Clipboard it).
  • I then click the capsule, and choose to Store the results. (The green text seems to say that it is only storing the EVA report?)
  • I then splashdown and recover.

No Science gained.

What am I doing wrong?

I feel I have left a LOT of Science on the table. I have progressed to unlocking the entire 3rd "vertical column" (has 5 items), but progress has been very slow - I think most of it has been from cruising around KSC for the "easy" Science.

Anyway, what probably very simple thing am I missing?

Thank you

:)

Edited by vonKerbin

About Science Jr and other science components (termomether, atmospheric pressure ecc...) to collect data you need one of those 2 options:

1st recover all science part when you land on Kerbin

or

right click on each science part with a kerbal and select option collect data, so at this point you can detach those parts and have all science data inside your main capsule.

Have fun!

If you want a good walkthrough about how to do this I suggest watching Scott Manley's new series where he is laying out how to do most basic operations:

It is especially good at showing how quickly you can start to access different parts of the game and that making mistakes doesn't necessarily end your game.

Hmm, I have been watching (and re-watching, and re-watching ...) Scott Manley's videos - they are essential for anyone! That's how I am collecting as much as I am. I just think I am missing something. I'll go back and scour that one again.

Will leave it "unanswered" for maybe the rest of today in case someone mentions some additional tidbit. Then I'll change it to Answered, regardless.

Thanks!

The EVA report is a different thing entirely.

For experiments, if you're not recovering the part itself, you have to go on EVA to retrieve the data. Bring the kerbal close to the science part, so that when you right click on the experiment you get a 'collect data' option. For the materials bay and goo, you'll then get a warning message that collecting the data will make the part inoperable. Once you've collected the data, you can return to the capsule and the data should be stored on board.

For the materials bay and goo, you'll then get a warning message that collecting the data will make the part inoperable.

Just to add: if you use a scientist (any level I think, at the very least level 1 is enough), you can restore the experiments and reuse them :D. Sometimes the animation glitches a bit but that's purely cosmetic.

The EVA report is a different thing entirely.

For experiments, if you're not recovering the part itself, you have to go on EVA to retrieve the data. Bring the kerbal close to the science part, so that when you right click on the experiment you get a 'collect data' option. For the materials bay and goo, you'll then get a warning message that collecting the data will make the part inoperable. Once you've collected the data, you can return to the capsule and the data should be stored on board.

That's what I'm not doing ... I'm not collecting it from the Science bay. Even though it is right under the capsule (and separator), I'm always too afraid for my lil Kerbonaut to let go haha. Guess I need to get over that and Learn to EVA properly. Thank you!

Side note, I did just land Valentina on the Mun for the first time! Unfortunately I didn't have enough fuel to bring her home, so I reverted the mission. I'm not far enough along to mount rescue missions, and I am not leaving her there (even if she would live).

That's what I'm not doing ... I'm not collecting it from the Science bay. Even though it is right under the capsule (and separator), I'm always too afraid for my lil Kerbonaut to let go haha. Guess I need to get over that and Learn to EVA properly. Thank you!

Side note, I did just land Valentina on the Mun for the first time! Unfortunately I didn't have enough fuel to bring her home, so I reverted the mission. I'm not far enough along to mount rescue missions, and I am not leaving her there (even if she would live).

You don't have to collect from the science bay if you return it. Only if you discard it.

Hmmm. I just launched an orbital craft around Kerbin, carrying a Science module. Went to the highest point and took readings. Full "green bar" and it said it was worth 35 Science. Closed it back up and returned - science module and all. Totally recovered.

0 Science.

Hmmm. I just launched an orbital craft around Kerbin, carrying a Science module. Went to the highest point and took readings. Full "green bar" and it said it was worth 35 Science. Closed it back up and returned - science module and all. Totally recovered.

0 Science.

You have to leave the science junior open. If you reset the bay it discards the data.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.