KEMA Drag Week - ROUND CLOSES 28TH MAY

IT'S HERE!!

The NEMA drag week has now arrived in the Kerbal Space Program world - the KEMA drag week! Build your most competitive dragsters in KSP and pitch them right here in this thread. Each dragster must abide by the rules and guidelines below, and the current round of entries closes on

2ND ROUND IS OPEN - ENTRIES FOR THE 2ND ROUND CLOSE ON THE 28TH OF MAY!! --EXTENDED DATE!!--

Any entries after this time will be included into the round that follows the current one. The player who can sustain a winning streak will hold the title of the KEMA Drag Strip King until such time that someone else is able to take them off of their podium!

THE RULES, GUIDELINES AND INFO:

- NO part clipping is permitted through the debug menu - part clipping is permitted but only to a feasible extent

- Any dragster must be created using KSP version 1.0.2

- No mods are to be used on any dragster

- Each dragster must ONLY use solid rocket boosters for propulsion

- Each dragster can carry a maximum of 500 solid fuel at any one time

- Each dragster must have a minimum of 4 wheels

- Each dragster must have a minimum of 2 wings (includes any wings, wing sections, winglets, control surfaces, etc)

- All dragsters are to be submitted in craft file form - once entries are closed for the round, each dragster will be ran by myself to remove cheating and provide fairness (see point after next); videos will be provided of the highlights of the round

- All dragster are to be given a name upon submission - this name will be shown on leader boards when testing is commenced.

- When under testing, no input will be provided to the dragster. SAS will be turned on, thrust will be set to 0%, and the only input will be that to stage the dragster

- The dragster must not leave the runway - leaving the runway results in a DNF for that run

- Each dragster is run over 3 times, with all 3 run's scores being averaged to form the final scores

- Dragsters are grouped into weight tiers as follows:

= <3t - Small tier

= >3t & <5t - Medium tier

= >5t Large tier

- Each tier has their own overall winners, with a separate final winner based on total amount of points

- The dragster CAN become airborne on the runway, but only within reason (3-5m in height)

- The dragster's weight is calculated as the initial weight, excluding the weight of parts attached to decouplers or other ejection methods

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES AND DETAILS

Upon submission, any special instructions to operate the dragster must be given. If no instructions are given, the dragster will just be staged whenever the current stage is depleted of fuel. Another note to submissions, is that ONLY a craft file is to be submitted - no videos or images are required but you may submit them if you like to show some testing of your dragster.

SCORING SYSTEM:

Each dragster is scored based on their km/h final speed at the end of the run, weight of the dragster (in tonnes)**See guidelines for more info on this, specifically the last point**, winglets on the dragster, wheels on the dragster, and any parachutes on the dragster. The formula for score generation is as follows:

(Dragster speed x weight of the dragster) / (wings on the dragster x wheels on the dragster x parachutes on the dragster)

In the event that no parachutes are on the dragster, the parachute value is set to 0.5

For example, a 2t dragster, with 4 winglets, 4 wheels and 2 parachutes that reached a speed of 600km/h will receive a score of 37.5 in the small tier.

Q&A!!

Q: Are A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S allowed?

A:

the airbrakes are allowed, but are not going to be very useful unless you link them to toggle during the staging - as I don't apply the brakes. I would most likely consider the airbrakes as a wing, as they apply a "drag" in the way of what would be expected if a wing were to be placed vertically in place. So to answer your question properly, yes they are allowed, they are considered as wings, but I only stage the vehicle, so you'll have to find a way to use them with that in mind :)

Note: these questions are questions that have been asked by people in the thread

LEADERBOARDS:

SMALL TIER:

#1 - Cybersol - Kamikaze (2.7t, 1724km/h, 1163.7)

#2 - Cybersol - Drag Bonsai (2.7t, 1764km/h, 386.45)

#3 - FlipNascar - Betty's Purse (2.1t, 1123km/h, 65.07)

#4 -

MEDIUM TIER:

#1 - QuesoExplosivo - Medium Dragster Mk2 (4.9t, 1512km/h, 916.91)

#2 - QuesoExplosivo - Small Dragster Mk2 (3.0t, 1336km/h, 480.5)

#3 - FlipNascar - Beryl's Trolley (3.4t, 1166km/h, 27.53)

#4 - JO3 - Hare (4.1t, DNF)

LARGE TIER:

#1 - JO3 - Tortoise (343.3t, 69.1km/h, 5858.98)

#2 - Plotz - The Lorry (15.4t, 1278km/h, 1631.11)

#3 - ToTheMun (Me ^_^) - Big Mac (29.8t, 630km/h, 991.67)

#4 - QuesoExplosivo - Limo Dragster (86.1t, 259km/h, 929.16)

OVERALL LEADERS:

#1 - JO3 - Tortoise (343.3t, 69.1km/h, 5858.98)

#2 - Plotz - The Lorry (15.4t, 1278km/h, 1631.11)

#3 - Cybersol - Kamikaze (2.7t, 1724km/h, 1163.7)

#4 - ToTheMun (Me ^_^) - Big Mac (29.8t, 630km/h, 991.67)

KEMA DRAG STRIP KING::: 1st round is not complete...

May the best dragster win!

Edited by ToTheMun

HERE ARE THE RESULTS OF ROUND #1!!!

A fair few people entered, with rather cool and differing designs. I can't wait to see what designs people enter with next week!! Now, here are the numbers people have been waiting for, ordered alphabetically by entrant name:

Cybersol – drag-bonsai

Weight = 2.7t

Winglets – 2

Wheels – 4

Parachutes – 1

Run 1 Speed:: 1764km/h

Run 2 Speed:: 1760km/h

Run 3 Speed:: DNF – Flew 100+ meters into the air

Run 1 Points:: 565.35

Run 2 Points:: 594

Overall Points:: 386.45

Cybersol – drag-kamikaze

Weight =2.7t

Winglets =2

Wheels =4

Parachutes =0

Run 1 Speed:: 1724km/h

Run 2 Speed:: 1724km/h

Run 3 Speed:: 1724km/h

Run 1 Points:: 1163.7

Run 2 Points:: 1163.7

Run 3 Points:: 1163.7

Overall Points:: 1163.7

Fire219 – Fat n’ Fast

Weight = 7.0t

Winglets = 2

Wheels = 4

Parachutes = 1

Run 1 Speed:: 1206km/h

Run 2 Speed:: DNF – Fell off of the runway and was destroyed

Run 3 Speed:: 1206km/h

Run 1 Points:: 1055.25

Run 3 Points:: 1055.25

Overall Points:: 703.5

FlipNascar – Beryl’s Trolley

Weight = 3.4t

Winglets = 6

Wheels = 4

Parachutes = 6

Run 1 Speed:: 1166km/h

Run 2 Speed:: 1166km/h

Run 3 Speed:: 1166km/h

Run 1 Points:: 27.53

Run 2 Points:: 27.53

Run 3 Points:: 27.53

Overall Points:: 27.53

FlipNascar – Betty’s Purse

Weight = 2.1t

Winglets = 6

Wheels = 4

Parachutes = 1

Run 1 Speed:: 1123km/h

Run 2 Speed:: 1108km/h

Run 3 Speed:: DNF – Smashed off of the runway during the parachuting phase

Run 1 Points:: 98.26

Run 2 Points:: 96.95

Overall Points:: 65.07

FlipNascar – Maggie’s Mace

Weight = 5.1t

Winglets = 6

Wheels = 4

Parachutes = 1

Run 1 Speed:: 1191km/h

Run 2 Speed:: 1188km/h

Run 3 Speed:: 1195km/h

Run 1 Points:: 253.08

Run 2 Points:: 252.45

Run 3 Points:: 253.93

Overall Points:: 253.15

JO3 – Hare

Weight = 4.1t

Winglets = 2

Wheels = 4

Parachutes = 2

Run 1 Speed:: DNF

Run 2 Speed:: DNF

Run 3 Speed:: DNF – Flew off of the runway in all 3 runs; Too much fuel, kept burning

Overall Points:: N/A

JO3 – Tortoise

Weight = 343.3t

Winglets =2

Wheels = 4

Parachutes = 0

Run 1 Speed:: 68.4km/h

Run 2 Speed:: 67.3km/h

Run 3 Speed:: 69.1km/h

Run 1 Points:: 5870.43

Run 2 Points:: 5776.02

Run 3 Points:: 5930.5

Overall Points:: 5858.98

ToTheMun (Me ^_^) – Bic Mac

Weight = 29.8t

Winglets = 2

Wheels = 6

Parachutes = 1

Run 1 Speed:: 630km/h

Run 2 Speed:: DNF – Sudden Disassembly

Run 3 Speed:: 568km/h

Run 1 Points:: 1564.5

Run 3 Points:: 1410.53

Overall Points:: 991.67

ToTheMun (Me ^_^) – Khevy 240SS LS3

Weight = 8.0t

Winglets = 10

Wheels = 8

Parachutes = 2

Run 1 Speed:: 1069km/h

Run 2 Speed:: 1140km/h

Run 3 Speed:: 1132km/h

Run 1 Points:: 53.45

Run 2 Points:: 57

Run 3 Points:: 56.6

Overall Points:: 167.05

Plotz – The Lorry

Weight = 15.4t

Winglets = 2

Wheels = 4

Parachutes = 1

Run 1 Speed:: 1278km/h

Run 2 Speed:: 1264km/h

Run 3 Speed:: DNF – Sudden Disassembly during parachuting phase

Run 1 Points:: 2460.15

Run 2 Points:: 2433.2

Overall Points:: 1631.11

QuesoExplosivo – Limo Dragster

Weight = 86.1t

Winglets = 2

Wheels = 4

Parachutes = 1

Run 1 Speed:: DNF – Went off of the runway

Run 2 Speed:: 259km/h

Run 3 Speed:: DNF – Went off of the runway

Run 2 Points:: 2787.48

Overall Points:: 929.16

QuesoExplosivo – Medium Dragster Mk2

Weight = 4.9t

Winglets = 2

Wheels = 4

Parachutes = 1

Run 1 Speed:: 1486km/h

Run 2 Speed:: 1512km/h

Run 3 Speed:: 1493km/h

Run 1 Points:: 910.175

Run 2 Points:: 926.1

Run 3 Points:: 914.46

Overall Points:: 916.91

QuesoExplosivo – Small Dragster Mk2

Weight = 3.0t

Winglets = 2

Wheels = 4

Parachutes = 1

Run 1 Speed:: 1314km/h

Run 2 Speed:: 1336km/h

Run 3 Speed:: 1298km/h

Run 1 Points:: 492.75

Run 2 Points:: 501

Run 3 Points:: 486.75

Overall Points:: 480.5

And, as it can be clearly seen through the results, I would like to congratulate JO3 with his Tortoise on winning the first KEMA Drag Week round!! JO3 is now the KEMA Drag King!! How long can he hold this title? Who knows, we'll have to wait until the next round of entrants have been tested!! Good luck to any and all who wish to enter in the next round! k_smiley.gif

Edited by ToTheMun
updated with results

Question: Must not leave the runway = it has to stop there at the end of the run?

Edit: That somehow explained itself using the formula :cool:

Edited by plotz

Question: Must not leave the runway = it has to stop there at the end of the run?

Edit: That somehow explained itself using the formula :cool:

I'm not completely sure on it myself though, does must not leave the runway just mean that it can't fly off the runway? What about shooting off the end of it, or perhaps crashing and going airborne?

Also, is it required that the dragsters be kerballed or can they use probe cores?

Edit: can I use KJR? Then again, probably more fun without it. I was also going to use MJ and KER just for data while building. I won't use the autopilot or anything.

Edited by smjjames

I'm not completely sure on it myself though, does must not leave the runway just mean that it can't fly off the runway? What about shooting off the end of it, or perhaps crashing and going airborne?

Also, is it required that the dragsters be kerballed or can they use probe cores?

Edit: can I use KJR? Then again, probably more fun without it. I was also going to use MJ and KER just for data while building. I won't use the autopilot or anything.

The dragster cannot leave the runway, full stop. However, in saying that, the dragster CAN go airborne, but only to the extent of about 3-5m. In response to your second question, any command is fair game. It can be unmanned or manned. And your last question... I'm not entirely sure you read all of the guidelines or you might not have understood them properly, but I conduct all the runs with the vehicles, so no part mods. You can use any informational mods, but just remember that the crafts must be submitted here for me to do the runs of the dragster. No input is given to the craft, as stated in the OP. I am going to update the OP now verifying what type of mods can be used in construction.

Well okay. What if you pull the chutes too late and you end up going off the end of the runway? That's kind of the scenario I'm thinking of hen again, that's a pretty long runway and we're going for speed here, not distance.

As for the last question, you can ignore it I guess then, somehow I thought I'd be doing the official runs. Doesn't mean that I can't do my own test runs of course.

Also, having the throttle on won't affect the wheels or SRBs, but I guess it's for consistency.

Edit thought while typing: Do the boosters have to activate at the exact same time or can they be staggered? I'll probably do a bit of testing to see how that affects speed.

I'm about to do a fair amount of updates to the OP stating what you need to do when you submit a craft in detail. This will include submitting details for how to run the craft, i.e. when to stage the craft in the circumstances of staggered staging. If no instructions are specified then I just stage whenever the fuel has run out.

Okay, I was just wondering if you allowed staggered staging or not.

Additional thought on staggered staging, is staging using MJs autostage allowed or no MJ autopilot of any kind period?

My Submissions:

Small Dragster Mk. 2 (crazy fast, uses legal part clipping)

Medium Dragster Mk. 2 (bigger version of the small one)

Limo Dragster (to go in style!)

Instructions:

Turn SAS on.

Press space.

When the engines burn out, activate the parachute.

When you want to come to a complete stop, activate the brakes (only below 50 m/s).

Edited by QuesoExplosivo

Okay, I was just wondering if you allowed staggered staging or not.

Additional thought on staggered staging, is staging using MJs autostage allowed or no MJ autopilot of any kind period?

I don't use it, so no, no MJ autostaging

- - - Updated - - -

My Submissions:

Small Dragster Mk. 2 (crazy fast, uses legal part clipping)

Medium Dragster Mk. 2 (bigger version of the small one)

Limo Dragster (to go in style!)

Instructions:

Turn SAS on.

Press space.

When the engines burn out, activate the parachute.

When you want to come to a complete stop, activate the brakes (only below 50 m/s).

Good luck in the upcoming round! Just a note though, I only stage the dragster, which means I apply no brakes either.

Hm, would you count the basic fins as winglets? I know they aren't called winglets specifically, but they're in the same category, right?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't use it, so no, no MJ autostaging

Understood then.

Hm, would you count the basic fins as winglets? I know they aren't called winglets specifically, but they're in the same category, right?

-snip-

Well, any wing classifies as a winglet, I should probably change that too. I made the OP late at night, looking back it was a bad idea XD

We need to use a MUCH longer runway IMO, the KSP one is too short...... Just IMO.....

It's not about distance, it's about speed. My first early design has achieved +1000km/h and I was able to make it come to a complete stop before halfway down the runway, soooo.... yeah

It's not about distance, it's about speed. My first early design has achieved +1000km/h and I was able to make it come to a complete stop before halfway down the runway, soooo.... yeah

How much is that in m/s?

I'm hitting 300+m/s and can't slow down in time, though I was using the longer running booster.

I am definetly having fun with lots of crashes though.

MY ENTRY!!

As required by the challenge submission guidelines, I too must make an entry. Here is my KHEVY 240SS LS3!! Early tests suggest she's capable of over 1000km/h, weighing in at 8t it falls into the large tier. It also carries 416 solid fuel. This is for the first weeks round. After the round, this post will be kept up to date with the most recent results!

KHEVY 240SS LS3

Your craft link doesn't work btw.

Edited by smjjames

How much is that in m/s?

I'm hitting 300+m/s and can't slow down in time, though I was using the longer running booster.

I am definetly having fun with lots of crashes though.

Your craft link doesn't work btw.

that's about 280-290m/s. I use 2 chutes to slow mine down, so perhaps you need to try using chutes and smaller boosters. I shall fix that link, I'll upload to mediafire or something instead, I'm not very used to google drive :\

- - - Updated - - -

craft link has been updated on the second post @smjjames

Medium tier: the hare

4x tires

2x wings

2x parachutes

1) engage SAS

2) activate staging to fire main booster

3) at speed of 360 m/s activate staging to open parachutes

4) apply brakes when speed<10m/s

Large tier: the tortoise.

4x tires

2x wings

no (.5x) parachutes

note: After I had tried using the slider to adjust solid fuel levels, it left slightly over 250 in each solid booster, so I manually edited the .craft file to reduce both boosters to exactly 250. solid fuel.

1) activate staging, wait for max speed

2) apply brakes to stop.

Cheers!

Joe

awesome to see that people are entering :D also a quick reminder to anyone, should your craft not be deemed to be within the rules and guidelines, it will receive a DSQ (Disqualified) remark in the results section once the round is finished, with a reason beside it. I also have my own large contester ready! The Big Mac definitely hauls ass, weighing in at a huge, ~28.2 tonnes!!

awesome to see that people are entering :D also a quick reminder to anyone, should your craft not be deemed to be within the rules and guidelines, it will receive a DSQ (Disqualified) remark in the results section once the round is finished, with a reason beside it. I also have my own large contester ready! The Big Mac definitely hauls ass, weighing in at a huge, ~28.2 tonnes!!

Well your Big Mac simply explodes on the runway for me.

Anyway, let me get this straight, here you said that your big mac weighs 28.2t I don't know where that comes from, it weight 29.8t to me, and 26t when empty. So when you say the weight of the dragstar, do you mean weight at the start? or do you mean weight at the end of the race?

Also what do you mean by the end of the run? Do you mean the end of the runway? The designs submitted so far don't have their top speeds at the end of the runway because they don't have enough fuel to last that long. Or maybe you just mean top speed? In that case is the run over after top speed is achieved? can I break any of the rules after the run is over?

And what do you mean by leaving the runway? do you mean we have to stop before the end of the runway? Or do you mean we just can't go off the side? If We have to stop before the end, then what counts as the end of the run? If I just run for 50 meters and stop does that count as a run?

Edited by Serassa