A Science mod concept which needs a modder (Not me.. I barely know java)

PeterCFB

So just from the mun alone you can farm up enough science to finish the tree.. add to the huge amount of lab based science from their new function (processing tests for "data" which is converted to more science over time) and we have 10s (or 100s?) of 1000s of science point unused and only there to convert to money... instead I would suggest a way to buy upgrades to specific parts with diminishing returns to avoid making 1 part too uber (say +5% ISP to an engine for the first upgrade then each subsequent upgrade halves in value.. 2.5% 1.25% and so on. (also the cost of upgrading can increase since theres a LOT of science spare) Other parts can have their functionality increase so solar arrays become more effective, batteries hold more power, mining and ISRU more efficient (wouldnt say more fuel in a tank though as stacking that with better engines might be a bit too much)

an example of the diminishing returns in action:

1=5%

2=2.5%

3=1.25%

4=0.625%

5=0.3125%

6=0.15625%

7=0.078125%

8=0.0390625%

9=0.01953125%

10=0.009765625%

=9.990234375% for 10 upgrades. Not game breaking and I might be wrong but because the value always halves I dont think you can actually reach +10% bonus, just fractionally closer each time.

I think that would be a good representation of improvements to technology through scientific discovery as a 300isp engine being improved to 330 isnt a huge leap.

Anyone think this is a good idea and can anyone implement it?

I really like the idea of being able to spend science this way, but instead of doing it on a part-by-part basis (which seems a bit tedious), I think it'd be better to implement a separate tree that contains nodes which can be researched multiple times. For example, one node might be "LFO Efficiency" which would represent your increasing ISP you mentioned above, except it would affect all LFO-based engines equally. Successive researches would increase in cost nonlinearly while benefits would be diminishing. The same approach could be applied to anything: "Energy Dense Electrics" could increase electric charge storage capacity of anything that can store EC. "High Temperature Aerodynamics" could increase max temps of wings/tanks... and so forth.

I just fielded the basic idea. If anyone wishes to refine and implement it in their own way, its all thumbs up. I'd just like more late game things to drive towards and a reason to keep doing the science besides a "gotta catch em all" mindset.

I suggested part by part because it would give you more things to individually purchase just because of the sheer glut of science available and having uber pricey nodes would seem unbalanced vs the cost of purchasing form the regular tech tree

Heck this could be made to play nice with other mods like life support.. more efficient converters and energy dense foodstuffs to make food last longer etc..

Edited by PeterCFB
realised was just rewording prev post

I've always wanted to break into modding... maybe this will be my thing. I know C#, C, and some C++ (and a tiny bit of java) but I'll need help and guidance though to figure out how to access KSP's APIs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.