Get to Minmus!

I did a return trip, stock only. First attempt successful, too. I win :P The new flight director system makes it so much easier to adjust trajectories, this is a great building block for the future when we\'ll have a full solar system - I anticipate some really cool complex maneuvers. In the mean time, I love Minmus! It really feels like you\'re landing somewhere really remote compared to the Mun - it\'s tiny, it\'s different, it\'s much further, and has really, really low gravity.

On approach:

screenshot6-1.jpg

screenshot9.jpg

Landing:

screenshot12.jpg

I wasn\'t sure whether or not those lake looking things were solid or not, but in reality they would be - can\'t exactly have liquid in those conditions - I suppose they could be frozen lakes of methane? Either way, I wasn\'t sure what would happen if I landed on those, so I decided to not send an unamanned probe first an just went ahead and landed there anyway.

screenshot19-1.jpg

Then I decided to take off again and park on the 'shore' instead.

screenshot26.jpg

Sunrise on Minmus. Just had to wait about two weeks for it :)

screenshot28.jpg

Now that the crew enjoyed that sunrise, we realized we\'re running out of booze. Attempts to come up with some alcoholic beverage distilled from frozen methane were less than successful, so it\'s time to go back home and restock:

screenshot32.jpg

screenshot33.jpg

screenshot36.jpg

screenshot40.jpg

It was quite easy with the NovaPunch parts :-[

I had so much fuel I could just play around with the orbits until I entered the Minmus\' sphere of influence. Had to do the landing without RCS fuel, though.

My lander has a somewhat soviet look. ;D

Actually, the first people to land on it would be the guys in the experimentals, but for non experiments then yes you would be the first :P

I landed a probe thinking there was a atmosphere, so i only packed parachutes...

I survived but could not stop spinning.

Landed on Minmus using the langing gear and not legs. I have to admit I was chasing the little bugger around for awhile.

screenshot12us.png

I\'m sad now.

You landed the first spaceplane on it.

I was going to do that.

Still, when I do, IT WILL LAND ON ITS OWN LANDING GEAR! MWAHAHAHA!

I wasn\'t sure whether or not those lake looking things were solid or not, but in reality they would be - can\'t exactly have liquid in those conditions - I suppose they could be frozen lakes of methane? Either way, I wasn\'t sure what would happen if I landed on those, so I decided to not send an unamanned probe first an just went ahead and landed there anyway.

I caught myself thinking the same, although minmus is far out from kerbin it\'s pretty much the same distance from the sun as kerbin is, half the time a bit closer, half the time a bit further.

I caught myself thinking the same, although minmus is far out from kerbin it\'s pretty much the same distance from the sun as kerbin is, half the time a bit closer, half the time a bit further.

You\'re right.

But for now, looks trump realism ;)

In truth, it really is easier to land on Minmus than the Mun. This is because, when dealing with an airless body, the overall mass of that body has a huge impact on how difficult it is to land (as well as how difficult it is to take off again). That\'s true of celestial bodies with atmospheres too, of course, but there\'s far more airless than aired bodies in space (both in real life and in the Kerbal\'s solar system!).

That said, if you\'re used to landing on the Mun and try to use the same strategy on Minmus without adjusting for the huge size discrepancy, you\'re gonna have a much harder time landing...

Easy! (Mostly!)

Tried getting there with a stock spaceplane but the air physics in this version of the game are too wonky for me to be able to put a rocket powered plane into orbit. Even with a mothership I had trouble getting up there. Rocket tanks are too heavy, everything tends to explode, at 10,000 m the plane starts to level out and fall back down and there\'s only a 1 in 3 chance of actually taking off...

Landed on Minmus using the langing gear and not legs. I have to admit I was chasing the little bugger around for awhile.

screenshot12us.png

I\'m sad now.

I was going to do that.

That doesn\'t look like a spaceplane, there\'s no way it could fly in atmosphere. I think it\'s just a rocket with spaceplane parts.

Edit: You still wouldn\'t be #1

OnFRA.png

6Hbpe.jpg

p5X2d.png

Full album here!

I\'m sad now.

I was going to do that.

That doesn\'t look like a spaceplane, there\'s no way it could fly in atmosphere. I think it\'s just a rocket with spaceplane parts.

Edit: You still wouldn\'t be #1

OnFRA.png

6Hbpe.jpg

p5X2d.png

Full album here!

Veto\'s specialty always was large spaceplanes.

I WILL LAND THE FIRST Mk3 COCKPIT VESSEL ON LANDING GEAR!

HELL SODDING YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Veto Aerospace Ibis Version 2 has made touchdown on Minmus. I believe is is the first C7 Mk3 cockpit vessel to do so.

00:54 Saturday 19 May.

YaA0C.jpg

DlGts.jpg

wyLkr.png

There is potentially fuel for return. I will be attempting to do so.

Your right, it\'s not a spaceplane. The final stage is a glider to glide back to KSC in the atmosphere.

First to land a glider on Minmus.

Spaceglider.

However, a glider is by definition a \'plane\'. So its lack of engines should not affect its status as a \'spaceplane\'. However, I can accept that a glider and a self-propelled spaceplane can be two different achievements.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.