Mobile Processing Lab - Questions/Suggestion

theFredster

Hi All,

I have (since release 1.0) gotten back into KSP and I'm doing a Career at Normal difficulty. Besides having to put up a few too many satellites and rescue a gaggle of (apparently) really dumb Kerbals, it's not too "grindy". I've been to Mun and Minmus a couple of times, and I am now starting to figure out the new MPL. However, I have what I think is an issue (not a bug).

When trying to provide power for the MPL in Kerban orbit using two OX-4L solar panels, I find it isn't enough power. In launch pad tests, I found it takes 4 panels in order to supply enough juice. However, the problem that concerns me is, with NO data on board (or scientists for that matter) the MPL still uses the power once started. This makes no sense to me. If nothing is actually being processed (by no one) then where is the power going? Also, considering that the process is a long-term/ongoing one, why must I actively start the process? I even IVA'd and made sure that the oven wasn't left on and know one was making margaritas.

In my opinion (unless I'm missing something), if there is science data on-board, a scientist, and power (above a critical threshold level), then by all means, go ahead and process the data. If not, do NOT plug in that hair dryer and leave me without SAS power to re-orient my solar panels to replenish my poor overused batteries. Have I missed something?

(Sidenote) - With only a deactivated MPL and a probe core with the torque disabled, there is still a small drain on power? I swear, if one of those female Kerbals packed a ....well... nevermind. :rolleyes:

Thoughts?

theFredster

Not sure if Squad did this intentionally or not, but real-life scientific equipment requires a constant power source, even during transport to orbit. Hubble, Skylab, and other examples that had power issues ran the risk of ruining the onboard equipment if they had lost power before they were repaired. So it's not so much a stretch to say the MPL needs the constant power supply. Again, not sure if this was by design or not.

Hi All,

(Sidenote) - With only a deactivated MPL and a probe core with the torque disabled, there is still a small drain on power? I swear, if one of those female Kerbals packed a ....well... nevermind. :rolleyes:

Probe cores a slight innate power usage requirement, even when not doing anything.

Stopping research isn't really an option since THAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS MODULE. As I understand it, this research is supposed to go on in the background while you are ... crashing other... I mean, doing other stuff. The good news is, it appears the research continues anyway as my initial lab still provides science when I return to it, even though I KNOW it has a power issue, so that point isn't evaluated when your not AT/MANNING the MPL. My issue is in trying to properly plan my next station. Also, when I return for collection occasionally, I have to stop research, wait till I'm back in sunlight, wait for charge, then transmit science, wait a little longer, start research again, and leave. This is OK for my first station, but my next scientific Kerbals may NOT be so patient. I also think the Kerbals SHOULD be smart enough to not use the power if there is nothing to do.

I get that "real world "is very different. That's why I stopped launching scientific space stations into orbit around the Earth. Well, that, and NASA calls security every time I climb over their fences. Just saying.

theFredster

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.