Parachutes New Game 1.0.2

A few people have hit on the changes with parachutes, but I don't fully understand. After a long break, I started over in 1.0 and had a great time. Now in 1.0.2, I can't even get a Mk1 with a Mk16 and the smallest possible booster rocket to land without something exploding. There is also no way to stage off the booster in a new game when no parts are unlocked, let alone hope to return with some science equipment. I love accuracy and realism, but I also don't like taking all the fun out of it either.

Was this the intended change and is it going to remain like this? How do we even get started in a new game now? I have always loved the game, and I want to continue to play, but I've stopped playing for now because of this. :huh:

You stopped playing because the very first ship you can possibly build isn't very good?

Just walk around the KSC a little bit and you will get enough science to unlock decouplers. As for returning science equipment, by the time you even have science equipment you also get more and better parachutes, and as soon as you can do EVA's you don't ever need to bring the equipment back anyway, just collect the data with a scientist.

Also, I have no idea what you are talking about when you say something explodes. I just tested a Mk1 with a M16 and a Flea booster and nothing exploded when they landed.

Edited by Aerindel

You just described exactly how the first flight in Career mode is supposed to go. There is nothing wrong.

First two tree flights are suborbital, even pad tests this give you the starting science. Orbit is followed by Mun orbit as soon as you have eva, I recommend an minmus landing next after unlocking surface samples. Rover to mun east farside crater/ canyon as soon as you have them, do contracts for funds.

You just described exactly how the first flight in Career mode is supposed to go. There is nothing wrong.

The booster will definitely smash when landing with the small parachute, but the capsule is usually fine.

Also, I have no idea what you are talking about when you say something explodes. I just tested a Mk1 with a M16 and a Flea booster and nothing exploded when they landed.

OP is probably using an RT10, but this is actually a pretty common problem now. Starting in 1.0.2 parachute opening takes a bit longer to reach full drag, and the default values are tuned to the mass of the mk1 capsule. Landing anything heavier, like a capsule with an engine still attached (not unreasonably so if you're early career and want maximum recovery value) takes a little more than 500 m to bring the craft down to terminal velocity. My first flight in 1.0.2, I lost a doubled up capsule into the ocean that way!

Since then I set all my chutes to deploy at 1500 m or so, haven't had any incidents since.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.